Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Canon at the US Open

OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon at the US Open

Ever so often around here, we get a bit of "The sky is falling! Nikon is coming! Canon is junk!" type story line. Most often it's about Canon's horrible DR, but other things can set it off. In the New York Times coverage of the US Open the opening shot is a neat piece of work in which the photographer shot the photographers who were shooting Serena Williams as she held the trophy up. Actually an interesting way to get the shot when one finds themselves on the wrong side.

It's a bit difficult to tell for sure as there are two flashes going off in the picture, but I count about 20 identifiable camera kits in action. Of these four are black, thus assumed to be Nikon and the rest are white, assumed to be Canon. There's a couple of photogs that I can't see well enough to ID. Still - at least in this small sample - it would seem that in sports photography anyway, that Canon still is quite dominate. Also interesting to note how much truly big glass, both black and white, is laying on the court as the photographers have switched to shorter lenses. If you can get to the pix (one can get 20 or so free looks at the NYT each month), it would be interesting to see how others count it.

Robert

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:39 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon at the US Open

OntheRez wrote:
Ever so often around here, we get a bit of "The sky is falling! Nikon is coming! Canon is junk!" type story line. Most often it's about Canon's horrible DR, but other things can set it off. In the New York Times coverage of the US Open the opening shot is a neat piece of work in which the photographer shot the photographers who were shooting Serena Williams as she held the trophy up. Actually an interesting way to get the shot when one finds themselves on the wrong side.

It's a bit difficult to tell for sure as there are
...Show more

Sorry, better things to do than count cameras in a picture.

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon at the US Open

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon at the US Open

We reflect our own insecurities about our choices when we try to defend them with posts like this. Canon makes great stuff. Nikon makes great stuff. Hasselblad makes better stuff. I want one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=893196&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Sep 09, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon at the US Open

Sarsfield wrote:
We reflect our own insecurities about our choices when we try to defend them with posts like this. Canon makes great stuff. Nikon makes great stuff. Hasselblad makes better stuff. I want one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=893196&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Not better for shooting tennis It all depends..........

Sep 09, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon at the US Open

Paul Mo wrote:

http://www.grumpyoldmanblog.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/grumpy-old-man.jpg

Ha-ha!

"You kids stay out of my yard!'

"I don't have time left for your silliness!"

Sep 09, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon at the US Open

True that!

Sep 09, 2013 at 07:16 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon at the US Open

Yeah whenver you see these big events on TV you do see lots of canon around . Maybe its the big whites that just get your eye

Although I do remember back when the world athletics champs were on I had a quiet chuckle to myself when I saw a group of about 5-6 'togs all with their nikon gear sat there with their accreditation bibs that had great big CANON logos on as Canon was an offial partner .

I've tried to google an image but can't find it

Sep 09, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon at the US Open

Canon also sort of monopolizes these events by providing free CPS support on location for these pros. Need loaner and have press/CPS creds -- no problem! Breakage, need a clean and check. . . Welcome! I don't think Nikon comes close in supporting its pros at major events, sporting or otherwise.

Sep 09, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon at the US Open

Canon also sort of monopolizes these events by providing free CPS support on location for these pros. Need loaner and have press/CPS creds -- no problem! Breakage, need a clean and check. . . Welcome! I don't think Nikon comes close in supporting its pros at major events, sporting or otherwise.

This. Probably the most important reason right there.

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon at the US Open

I guess it has swung back again, 2008 Olympics shifted from hugely Canon to probably even majority Nikon and lots of big time sports shooters were blasting Canon all over their Olympics blogs, especially over AF that they simply couldn't bear to trust any more.

Sep 09, 2013 at 09:36 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon at the US Open

Sarsfield wrote:
This. Probably the most important reason right there.

5D3/1DX likely too

Sep 09, 2013 at 09:36 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon at the US Open

I would rely more on the financial reports from the two companies rather than eyeballing a particular event. Both companies seem to be doing fine.

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:13 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon at the US Open

Bones74 wrote:

I really need for someone to explain to me how this camera can cost the same as a BMW 328i xdrive. How much more technology and production can there be in that little box than a full size German made sedan with a/c, xdrive, complete sound system, GPS, heated seats etc, etc. This photography thing is way out of hand, price wise.

ps. Just bought a new 600 MK II ( $ 12,800.00 ) so maybe it's just a case of buyer's remorse.

Al

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon at the US Open

kbarrera wrote:
I really need for someone to explain to me how this camera can cost the same as a BMW 328i xdrive.

Because they are very expensive to develop and produce and there is only 19 MacBook Air using, black turtleneck wearing, Audi driving customers worldwide - they need to recoup expenses somehow.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon at the US Open

Because they are very expensive to develop and produce and there is only 19 MacBook Air using, black turtleneck wearing, Audi driving customers worldwide - they need to recoup expenses somehow.

This may be partially true but I seriously doubt it. These Hassy's are the choice of the top pro's who make images for a living and the ones who make a huge living. When you compare a 50 mp back to even the best DSLR, there is no comparison. At least at low ISO anyway.

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:22 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon at the US Open

It's tongue-in-cheek... with an element of truth.

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:54 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon at the US Open

Sarsfield wrote:

Wow! Lots of grumpy folks around here. Jeez guys get some coffee, have a beer, chill. I know Chaz wants to be our professional curmudgeon, but it didn't take any time from other valuable things, just I noticed the ratio as I flipped by the pix. Actually I was more interested in how the photographer made being on the "wrong" side into an interesting pic. This was just a "here's an interesting pix of pro-sports shooters and what they are using."

As for Sarsfield and cognitive consonance (I believe that's the scientific concept you are trying to address), nothing in my post said anything one way or another about one system being better than the other. I shoot Canon because they happened to have (for me) an affordable DSLR when it purchased my first one. (I was shooting an ancient Leica in B&W at the time.) I bought lenses and there I was: a Canon shooter. If I'd have found a Nikon first I'd probably be a Nikon shooter for exactly the same reason: bought into their ecology of gear and it's too expensive to change. A Nikon is just as viable as a Canon. Sony's work as well though they don't have the lens offerings most pros need.

Sure, I'm now embedded in the "Canon Way" to make it sound fancy. That simply means I think lenses, focus, and button placement should be like what I'm use to using. Nikon (on purpose I suspect) does many of these things the other way. Confuses me a bit when I play with a Nikon. Still if someone handed me a D4 and appropriate lenses you can be sure I'd adapt and get just as good of pix as ever.

As for a $43k Hassy? Well, I'll just note that my house (purchased as a HUD repo and in bad shape) didn't cost that much. Would I use one if you sent it to me? No doubt! Would be a blast. I do suspect it wouldn't be all that good in the low/no light venues in duststorms, rain blasts, and real heat that I regularly work in as a sports reporter/photographer.

This was just for fun folks. Really don't get all the negativity, but hopefully taking it out on a stranger that offered an interesting tidbit will keep you from kicking the dog or some such thing. None of this is all that important in the grand scheme of things (which I confess I have no clue what it is!)

Robert

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Larate
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon at the US Open

The funniest thing I've noticed in this webpage (
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=893196&is=REG&Q=&A=details) is the amount of savings when the camera and Lr5 are bought together !

Sep 10, 2013 at 02:25 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon at the US Open

OntheRez wrote:
Wow! Lots of grumpy folks around here. Jeez guys get some coffee, have a beer, chill. I know Chaz wants to be our professional curmudgeon, but it didn't take any time from other valuable things, just I noticed the ratio as I flipped by the pix. Actually I was more interested in how the photographer made being on the "wrong" side into an interesting pic. This was just a "here's an interesting pix of pro-sports shooters and what they are using."

Robert

You know what Robert? You're right. However I am neither a Canon hater or just a grumpy old bastard.
Back in the day, I was an avid Fly Fisherman. I couldn't, for the life of me figure out how a decent quality Orvis rod and reel could cost five times as much as a top quality Shimano bait caster rig. Not to mention I built my own Graphite and Bamboo fly rods.
Fact is; Fly Fishermen tend to be elitists and a bit snobby. The manufacturers knew they were more than willing to fork over the big bucks for their over- priced equipment, and charged whatever the market would pay. In the last ten years the popularity of Fly Fishing has diminished considerably and all that bull about R&D and small volume sales gave way to reduced prices.
The point is simple. The manufacturers will charge whatever the market dictates and you can't blame them. I'm happy with my 600 MK II, even knowing I paid more than what my first new truck cost.
As I always say " life is just a matter of choices". Even we don't like something we don't have to watch it, buy it, drive it, or use it.

A very un grouchy Al
ps. I guess I answered my own original question.

Edited on Sep 10, 2013 at 03:45 PM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2013 at 03:38 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password