Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0...

silverbird

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

I'm looking into investing in a used Canon 500 mm L lens.
I feel the need for a little education on such a big investment.
I recently purchased (from a reputable used retailer) a Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L.
Upon receiving the lens, I discovered it would not focus either automatically or manually on either of my 1D MK 2 and 1DS MK 2 bodies.
Fortunately, I was able to return the lens for a full refund.
I know the f4.5 version can no longer be serviced and parts are not available by Canon, so there is a big risk involved. My thinking at the time was that these Canon L lenses where pretty much bulletproof, so if I found one that looked like it was in good shape visually, that may be the way to go.....WRONG!
A used series 1 f4.0 I.S. “older” version is about $2,000-$3,000 higher in cost than the non I.S. f4.5.
I'm leaning towards puchasing a used 4.0 I.S. version.
My questions are concerning the 500 f4.0 I.S.
Can the “older series 1” f4.0 I.S. version be serviced and are parts still available from Canon?
Are the parts compatible between the older series 1 and newer series 2 4.0 I.S. versions?
Will the manual focus still operate upon autofocus failure on the 4.0 I.S.?
Thanks for any guidance/input on the subject.
Silverbird

Edited on Sep 09, 2013 at 01:52 PM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2013 at 01:47 PM
lowa2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

1. The 500/4 IS V1 is still repairable.
2. The MF still works if the AF fails, it's a mechanical linkage.
3. The parts are probably not interchangeable between V1/V2

Good luck! The f4IS is one heck of an amazing lens!

Charles

Sep 09, 2013 at 01:51 PM
silverbird

p.1 #3 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

Thanks for the input.
I've rented both versions in the past.
The 4.5 I rented looked like it survived a war....Visually, beaten up very badly. Performed flawlessly though.
You're right......AMAZING!
Silverbird

Sep 09, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

silverbird wrote:
I know the f4.5 version can no longer be serviced and parts are not available by Canon, so there is a big risk involved.

That does not mean it can't be repaired by an independent camera repair shop if they can find the parts.

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:30 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

Imagemaster wrote:
That does not mean it can't be repaired by an independent camera repair shop if they can find the parts.

You can of course say that with every lens every made

Sep 10, 2013 at 03:21 PM
mogud
• • •
p.1 #6 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

I asked my CPS Service rep this same question. Her reply was that the Ser. 1 500mm f4 IS will still be serviced by Canon fo 5-7 years after release/availability date.

Sep 10, 2013 at 03:34 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
You can of course say that with every lens every made

Of course I can.

Sep 10, 2013 at 03:40 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

Imagemaster wrote:

That could prove to be a very expensive "if"...

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

molson wrote:
That could prove to be a very expensive "if"...

Could be. It could also be cheaper than the price difference between an f4.5 and an f4.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:13 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

mogud wrote:
I asked my CPS Service rep this same question. Her reply was that the Ser. 1 500mm f4 IS will still be serviced by Canon fo 5-7 years after release/availability date.

That's really quite pathetic actually. Even if that's all the joke of a law asks of them, they themselves should repair these for a minimum of 10 years, given the massive investment people make on them and probably more like 15 years would be reasonable.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:46 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

A lens of 500mm in FL needs IS IMO. Being tripod bound because you do not have IS is too limiting for my type of shooting. I use my 500mm f/4 IS handheld all the time because one simply has more mobility and it is easier to react to fast moving events. Birds/wildlife often do not have the courtesy to wait for a tripod mounted lens to get into the correct placement.

But, for staking out a nest, that is different. It all depends on what you shoot and the type of light that you have available.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

Pixel Perfect wrote:
That's really quite pathetic actually. Even if that's all the joke of a law asks of them, they themselves should repair these for a minimum of 10 years, given the massive investment people make on them and probably more like 15 years would be reasonable.

+1

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

Pixel Perfect wrote:
...given the massive investment people make on them and probably more like 15 years would be reasonable.

Like Apple. They think they are the bees knees but will still only give you a 1 year warranty - like everyone else - and then gouge you with Apple care. If they were truly as confident in their hardware as they are in their smugness then 3 year warranties would be standard.

Is that 15 years from the year of introduction of a new model, or when it is officially replaced or pulled from the market?

Sep 12, 2013 at 01:26 AM
mogud
• • •
p.1 #14 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

galenapass wrote:
+1

Not saying that I agree with this practice. I have a twenty year old car that the manufacturer still services at authorized dealers and parts are available.

IMHO, Canon should, at a minimum, service the 500mm v1 for 10 years. Given the number of them out there, I suspect that parts will be available past the 5-7 year mark. I also suspect the CPS rep was giving the "company/Canon official" line.

Sep 12, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Tony B
• • •
p.1 #15 · Used Purchase Canon 500mm EF 4.5-L VS. Canon 500mm EF 4.0-L I.S.

Paul Mo wrote:
Like Apple. They think they are the bees knees but will still only give you a 1 year warranty - like everyone else - and then gouge you with Apple care. If they were truly as confident in their hardware as they are in their smugness then 3 year warranties would be standard.

Is that 15 years from the year of introduction of a new model, or when it is officially replaced or pulled from the market?

Consumers have rights regarding warranties. Warranties are not always confined to what a company states.

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password