Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · one shot - Hamburg

heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · one shot - Hamburg

Hi everyone,

one shot I came across editing my last wedding...
C&C as always is welcome.

cheers,

heiko

Sep 09, 2013 at 12:06 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · one shot - Hamburg

You asked for C&C so I'm going to be honest. You should lose this shot. It's not at all flattering for the bride due to the position of her arms accentuating her weight. Not a good one I'm afraid!

Sep 09, 2013 at 01:31 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · one shot - Hamburg

An artistic shot of an unflattering moment. I would probably deliver this image to the B&G, though not put it on the website.

Sep 09, 2013 at 01:49 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · one shot - Hamburg

OK, negative critique is seldom easy to swallow...but I seem to disagree.

The bride was not slim, agreed, but compared to maaaany other shots, this one is not unflattering for her to say the least. Of course I am not sure yet what the bride herself thinks of the shot, but I like it, despite the "arms".

Do everyone of you think this way? Maybe I am wrong here.

heiko

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:06 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · one shot - Hamburg

I agree with Tony. Perhaps without the couple it could be used as a scene setting image for the venue in some fashion. I would add that even as an "interesting composition", or whatever you want to call it, the eye is drawn to the green plant - so it falls short here too. EDIT: I can actually kind of agree with you there Heiko, without knowing her it's hard to say what exactly would be more flattering.

No problem if everything doesn't always work though, that's part of how we learn.

Edited by Steve Tinetti on Sep 10, 2013 at 07:13 PM

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:06 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · one shot - Hamburg

I think arms down would be better; face up would be much more flattering, preferrably laughing or something. Just shooting through another object and putting in a lot of negative space doesn't make this one a winner; IMO the best way to shoot abstract angles like this is to make a good shot great.

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:23 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · one shot - Hamburg

I should add, that this was a candid one, no posing or directing at all. This was just the moment before they walked up the stairs to get married.

heiko

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:28 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · one shot - Hamburg

heikoM wrote:
I should add, that this was a candid one, no posing or directing at all. This was just the moment before they walked up the stairs to get married.

heiko

Does that matter?

I'm not trying to be an arse, believe it or not :-)

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:32 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · one shot - Hamburg

heikoM wrote:

heiko

I think you are pumped because from a photographers standpoint, the technical details of the shot make it much better then average - you shot it through a chadi and they are in the lower side portion of the frame. But the issue is the actual subjects - the reason why you took the photo and really, the most important end critics of the image - are at best, shown in an unexciting situation; at worst, unflattering to the most important subject. A different angle/pose/something occuring, like a kiss? Then you've got a serious contender.

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:44 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · one shot - Hamburg

I feel I captured a nice, intimate moment between the two, fixing her vail, moments before they got married. In my eyes a kiss would have been, hm, cheesy.

But I value the opinions of you, so still, I may not have hit a home-run here.

thanks,

heiko

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · one shot - Hamburg

heikoM wrote:
I feel I captured a nice, intimate moment between the two, fixing her vail, moments before they got married. In my eyes a kiss would have been, hm, cheesy.

But I value the opinions of you, so still, I may not have hit a home-run here.

thanks,

heiko

cool cool either way! CLient is all that matters in the end, kudos for seeking out crit as well!

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:58 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · one shot - Hamburg

I'd trash this one if it were my shot. The bride may never tell you this, but she will HATE how this makes her look.

As said above, interesting composition can't overcome the really unflattering capture of the bride in this one.

Sorry.

Sep 10, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · one shot - Hamburg

Please refrain from critique of the subjects - only the image as it was captured.

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:12 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · one shot - Hamburg

If you stopped down a bit more, I think the opening which the B+G are is somewhat heart-shaped. A bit of you moving a few wee inches to the right would have had more of the groom in the photo, and a little bit less of the space on B's left... might even help with her raised left arm.

Was this a single click or did you take a few candids in sequence from about the same spot? Because when you click a few in a row sometimes (I do 2-3) you sometimes get a lot more leeway at getting a decent shot.

Then again, C/C is a lot easier afterwards and not on the spot. I'd give to B+G, but not post on my blog. My 2-3 cents.

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:44 PM
eephoto
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · one shot - Hamburg

My honest thoughts as they hit me...I like the look but wish the couple were doing something different. I really like the framing of it, and I don't think you should trash it. Definitely present it to them.

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:04 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · one shot - Hamburg

I just think sometimes the possibilities are, letīs say, restricted. I am not sure, that my first pic is especially unflattering. When capturing a whole day, you canīt just take images of the best and optimal angels just to make someone look slimmer. I donīt want to shoot a whole day with a 85 from a ladder. I want interesting images as well.

heiko

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM
JanetG
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · one shot - Hamburg

I like the last one - but I find it has a touch too much magenta on my screen in the skin tones - I would back that down a smidge. do you see it? or is it just me? I know they are pale, but..

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:57 AM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · one shot - Hamburg

you are right about the magenta touch

Sep 12, 2013 at 05:34 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · one shot - Hamburg

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone in regards to a photo that seems "unflattering". I think that its too hard to say whether its unflattering or not without anything to compare it to. Afer seeing the 2nd photo posted, the first doesn't seem any worse or better.

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:27 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · one shot - Hamburg

sorry heiko, this is a miss for me. it's a miss because the moment isnt really that great. sometimes we set up an interesting composition and our subjects do something great. other times, we have something framed and nothing special happens. I think this shot falls into the latter category. I also feel that the overall comp could have been improved if you shot 'higher', meaning that if you stood up a bit you would have been able to get more of their bodies in the frame.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password