Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Utah Football v Weber State

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Utah Football v Weber State

Utah had an easy go of it this week with a 70-7 victory. Not a lot of excitement except for the romp variety. 10 images for C&C.

8. Must be my age but I can't figure how every one of these guys manages to look so disinterested!

Edited on Sep 09, 2013 at 04:26 AM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:15 AM
rdalrt
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Utah Football v Weber State

Nice set. #1 is killer. Those red uniforms really pop in the day sunlight.

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:22 AM
TSpyers
• •
p.1 #3 · Utah Football v Weber State

Russ, you got it all in #1...ball, eyes and intensity! Great capture.

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:36 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Utah Football v Weber State

rdalrt and Tim: Thanks for your comments. I figured it would be obvious enough, but I'll come clean with the fact that #1 is a warm-up shot. Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:42 AM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #5 · Utah Football v Weber State

Really great shots Russ. I love your football photos because I can see eyes on almost every shot you post - very hard to do in football. #1 stood out to me.

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:41 AM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #6 · Utah Football v Weber State

Russ, my friend. You've got a problem here. I don't know how you can do much better after setting the bar so high with number 1. It's kind of like breaking the world record on the first jump. What do you do for an encore? Really like the ball compression on the punter's foot. Great timing there. Number 2 is a great perspective -- and I think you are going to be in trouble for digging a hole in the field turf and burying half of your body to get the REALLY low perspective on the tackle in number 10. Didn't know Paul rented his Lobster Trap for football.

Keep 'em coming Russ. You are an inspiration.

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:57 AM
rdalrt
• •
p.1 #7 · Utah Football v Weber State

Russ Isabella wrote:
rdalrt and Tim: Thanks for your comments. I figured it would be obvious enough, but I'll come clean with the fact that #1 is a warm-up shot. Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

I suspected, but like you said, nothing wrong with that. Still a great shot.

Sep 09, 2013 at 12:37 PM
corvus
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Utah Football v Weber State

Warm-up or not, #1 is #1 out of the field of 10!

Sep 09, 2013 at 12:43 PM
matt.garnett
• •
p.1 #9 · Utah Football v Weber State

Great shots Russ. 3 is a great defensive photo, something that a lot of people miss.

Sep 09, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Utah Football v Weber State

Thanks, Rick (VB). I agree that the eyes are important, and those visors sure don't help.

Rick: Thanks for your kind words. I kinda messed up on #6 and let my shutter speed fall enough to result in motion blur, which I'd prefer not to have, but I did like the timing. Next week should be a better football game (vs Oregon State), and I hope to be on my game as well. What are you shooting these days?

Thanks again, rdalrt.

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:23 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #11 · Utah Football v Weber State

I love the red theme throughout. You did well except for #6. If you notice the guy shooting in the background from behind the kicker, yeah he probably had a better angle to take that shot from ().

Good stuff. How many lenses / bodies do you have on you personally while shooting? I see:
1.4x 400mm then 6 minutes later a 400mm with no 1.4x, so did you actually take the 1.4x off at some point, or is that the new Canon with the built in turn on / off extender?

70-200. Action shots during the game when the 400 is to powerful.

24-70. Walking around shots, not used for the game. I'm guessing you don't keep this one on you while shooting action.

Sep 09, 2013 at 07:49 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #12 · Utah Football v Weber State

Russ, can't say anything that hasn't already been said...I tried using my teleconverter but it sucks! Not sure why it's so bad..I really like the focal length but..anyways...I wondered about #1..great shot regardless. Not much to improve on here..move a long!

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Utah Football v Weber State

Thanks, Ron.

Matt: Yeah, it does seem harder to grab good shots of the defense, but in a game like this where one team dominated, I could anticipate that Utah's defense would provide multiple opportunities. Thanks for your comments.

John: That's some mighty good detective work! I typically use two bodies. I've tried three on occasion, but it's just too unwieldy for me. I used the 1.4x on the 400 throughout the game since it was midday, but I found there were times when I wanted the longer lens and 560mm was too long, so I popped off the extender and stuck it in my pocket. I generally don't like to have to deal with that in addition to everything else, but it worked well enough. And you're right about the 24-70. I used it before the game to shoot the cheerleaders, but left it in the photo room for the rest of the day. It would be great to have ready access to a wider lens (in addition to the long tele and the 70-200), but I can't get over feeling like I would need at least one more hand and arm (and possibly neck) to make that work. I see other guys do it and make it look natural, but I haven't figured it out. Thanks for the comments.

Shane: Thanks. Sorry to hear your teleconverter isn't working for you. Definitely a worthwhile addition to the kit when it's working as it should.

Sep 09, 2013 at 09:51 PM
mmcatee
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Utah Football v Weber State

Great stuff Russ, I like the motion blur of the ball on the foot on #6 I think it makes the shot. boy that girl got some air. I am digging the look of determination on the face of the runner in #9 and the face of the defender lying in the background. Love the action love the faces overall an awesome series.

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:48 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Utah Football v Weber State

Russ I thought I had commented, but apparently I didn't. As usual for you this is a great set! Nothing less than what I expect from you!

Sep 13, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Utah Football v Weber State

mmcatee wrote:
Great stuff Russ, I like the motion blur of the ball on the foot on #6 I think it makes the shot. boy that girl got some air. I am digging the look of determination on the face of the runner in #9 and the face of the defender lying in the background. Love the action love the faces overall an awesome series.

+1- Mike said it all for me, Russ. That blur is working for me as well, and a nice piece of timing, too. Akin to a ball-on-bat shot IMO. I'll go with 10 as my fave here.

Solid set, buddy.

Sep 13, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Utah Football v Weber State

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate your detailed feedback. And good to see you back here! I enjoyed your football post.

Matt: It's good to know where the bar is set! Thanks for your comments.

Tom: Ball-on-foot. Pretty sure that's a first for me. The action in #10 was from one of those plays where if it came any closer, I would have had to bail. Coupla big boys at work! Always appreciate your feedback, buddy. And we're long overdue for catching up...

Sep 14, 2013 at 04:44 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Utah Football v Weber State

Sweet set Russ. I am diggin' #2-3.

Ted

Sep 15, 2013 at 04:19 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password