Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

E komo mai. This is another post for those who can tolerate, or love, commentary. The images below are from two very different parts of the island of Hawai'i. The first three are from the wetter, Hilo area which is famous for its lush forests and waterfalls. The last group is from the southern-most part of the island. Decidedly drier there.

1. Akaka Falls - This pretty little gorge and waterfall is north of Hilo. There is a loop hike in the Akaka Falls State Park which provides the opportunity to view some streams, two large falls (with the Akaka Falls on the Kolekole Stream being the biggest), forest, and a bit of fauna too. As you might guess, the name is Hawaiian, and means a rent or split. Kinda makes sense.

2. Uluhe Fern Crozier - Dicranopteris linearis is fairly common in Hawaii, and can dominate areas. It is an early colonizer, even on lava flows. In doing some reading on the species, I found it can prevent other species from germinating and growing through allelopathy (don't think I've heard this term since way back in my university days), which is where plants secrete anti-germination chemicals. I suspect this anti-competition tactic is actually reasonably common with plants. The image was taken along the trail to view the falls.

3. Anole - This guy was sunning itself in the same area I saw the above crozier. I'm thinking it is an introduced species but could not identify it to be sure. The lighting was not the best, and he didn't sit long once I started paying attention to it.

4. Beach Naupaka - A fairly common beach plant. I took this shot because it showed two things - the Naupaka itself and olivine sand. We were hiking to Mahana Bay, which is commonly known as the green sand beach. If you don't drive a 4x4 in, it takes about 1 hour of easy hiking. You start at South Point, which is covered with a thick layer of ocher-colored material. It is quite powdery where the vegetation has been removed and the soil churned up (think 4x4 here). I still have some of that powder in my boots! As you get closer to Mahana Bay, you start seeing a coarser, golden green sand laying on top of the yellowish powder due to it being blown from the beach area, hundreds of meters away.

5. Mahana Bay (Green Sand Beach) - What a lovely spot! You descend about 10 - 15 meters to the beach, so you have a secluded feeling. The golden green sand looks great and feels good on your feet too. The beach itself is quite steep, so even on a gentle day, the surf can be 4 or 5 feet high at times. Great for frolicking in, and being tumbled about (and sometimes causing you to lose your beach apparel - neither sex is discriminated against by the powerful water).

6. Frolicking Boy - This may just be my favorite photo from the trip. What enthusiasm this young man had for playing in the waves. He and his parents enjoyed the water for hours (and I believe they all took turns experiencing the apparel peril). In this case, a particularly big wave was coming in and he was trying to outrun it. I used a 400mm lens for the shot so the wave appears as close as it actually was.

7. Tumbled Boy - The wave won! The young guy was knocked down and washed up the beach a few meters. The spray around the boy in this image is the result of the water receding back down the beach with good speed.

Bonus: Jumpers - On the way back from the beach, we stopped at the cliffs people often fish from. People also do a lot of cliff jumping there. There are ladders you can use to get back up, which sure helps. A LONG swim otherwise. A few meters inland, there is a hole down into a grotto, which is connected to the ocean. If timed right, you can jump in there too, and make the short swim out to the ladders via a cave. Didn't see anyone do that, but this duo, a brother and sister from Oregon, did it before we arrived. Here, they are making the the more traditional (and saner) plunge.

I hope you enjoyed this little slice of the Big Island. Mahalo nui loa for visiting. As always, I invite you to add any nits, crits, or thumbs-ups you feel are appropriate.

Ken

Edited on Sep 08, 2013 at 08:53 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2013 at 07:32 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

I was wondering if you would show the cliff jumpers after seeing the little boy and there they are! When we did the falls loop it was quite overgrown yet still a delight.

I'm enjoying your trip Ken

Morris

Sep 08, 2013 at 08:07 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

Wonderful travelogue Ken.
Eric

Sep 08, 2013 at 08:45 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

Ken, wonderful commentary Gorgeous shots 1,2,4 and 5 are my favorites.

Birdie

Sep 08, 2013 at 08:58 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

I enjoyed both the photos and the story Ken. Sunflowers are also allelopathic. I found out the hard way one year by planting corn next to some sunflowers. The row of corn next to the sunflowers was stunted, and did not produce much corn. ~ Ron

Sep 08, 2013 at 09:07 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

What a great set, Ken. It must be a great place to relax. Thanks for sharing.

- Tam

Sep 08, 2013 at 09:45 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

Beautiful and interesting post, Ken. I really enjoy this kind of posts. Gives the images a special feel and meaning
Thanks for sharing
Socrate

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:41 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

Ken, I really like #1, super sweet and that rainbow tops the cake!

Charles

Sep 09, 2013 at 09:00 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

Excellent Ken

Sep 09, 2013 at 09:04 AM
Ed Robertson
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

I just love the Big Island went for 28 days this year and hope to go for 6 weeks next year wonderful to see your images. Ed

Sep 09, 2013 at 12:02 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

Ken, wonderful images and interesting info.
I enjoyed looking through your post.
Chris

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:53 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

Hi Ken,
A very nice variety in this set!!
I enjoyed it very much
BeeBalm

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Reeftank1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

Man,

Nice job and the commentary is a bonus that wraps the images nicely together.

Cool!

Brian

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:46 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

morris wrote:
I was wondering if you would show the cliff jumpers after seeing the little boy and there they are! When we did the falls loop it was quite overgrown yet still a delight.

I'm enjoying your trip Ken

Morris

Thanks Morris. Still a few more sets to come. The cliff jumpers were neat to see. I sent them the action sequence of about 10 shots. The hiking loop was in good shape when I went, but it would have to be fairly overgrown to stop me from having a look.

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:09 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

eyelaser wrote:
Wonderful travelogue Ken.
Eric

Thank you Eric. Appreciated.

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:10 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

birdied wrote:
Ken, wonderful commentary Gorgeous shots 1,2,4 and 5 are my favorites.

Birdie

I appreciate you stopping in Birdie. Thank you for the nice comments.

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:10 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

surfnron wrote:
I enjoyed both the photos and the story Ken. Sunflowers are also allelopathic. I found out the hard way one year by planting corn next to some sunflowers. The row of corn next to the sunflowers was stunted, and did not produce much corn. ~ Ron

Sorry about the corn Ron! Thanks for stopping in and reading. Much appreciated.

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:11 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

Enjoyed reading the post Ken and the photos. Love the lazy look on the Anole.

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:43 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

Fantastic set, Ken! We spent some time on the big island about 10 years ago, and visited Waipio Valley and Akaka Falls, but totally missed Mahana Bay. Guess we will have to go back!

As much as I love N&W, those images of the little boy in the waves have an emotional appeal that resonates. All together, a wonderful series showing a diversity of experiences.

Greg

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:56 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hawaiian Miscellany Of The Interesting Kind

An interesting set Ken, I enjoyed the view, thanks
David

Sep 10, 2013 at 02:08 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.