FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Damsels and Skippers

birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Damsels and Skippers

Found a few damsels and skippers in the marsh.

Your thoughts, comments ( good , bad and ugly ) and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I hope you enjoy,

Birdie

Sep 08, 2013 at 03:06 PM
Steven Everitt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Damsels and Skippers

Skippers are great! The second being my favourite as to my eyes just looks slightly sharper?

Sep 09, 2013 at 07:55 AM
Steven Everitt
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Damsels and Skippers

Just read the top post about CC by Tom so thought I would just add that although I like number four the central positioning does not work for me or the near square crop. I would like to see it in portrait maybe? I find (and this is just a personal feeling) that when butterflies are on stems/grass etc. portrait pictures work better.

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:19 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Damsels and Skippers

Thank you so very much Steven , greatly appreciated. Will play around with the cropping

Birdie

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:33 AM
12monkeys
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Damsels and Skippers

You might like to post some of your pp settings one day with before and after photos. No doubt everyone will have different opinions, but I'd be interested to see what you do in post. You've said yourself that you want to progress in this area.

Sep 09, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Damsels and Skippers

I like three and four a lot! As for critique, I don't feel I am at a level of skill to critique your work.

Julian

Sep 09, 2013 at 11:35 AM
12monkeys
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Damsels and Skippers

Julian Nell wrote:
I don't feel I am at a level of skill to critique your work.

I disagree with this whole notion. You have eyes; you're entitled to an opinion just like anyone else. As long as the other person has a rough idea of where you coming from, and knows how much weight to attach to your comments, you should feel free to chip in.

Sep 09, 2013 at 11:41 AM
andreloo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Damsels and Skippers

Hi , i find all of them slightly out of focus , low DOF and somehow low quality image, what lens do u use , nikon or sigma¿? How do u focus, manualy or auto¿? I think u shoud use for greater close ups a F11-F13-F14 aperture, in FF the DOF is very low.Andrei

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:25 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Damsels and Skippers

andreloo wrote:
Hi , i find all of them slightly out of focus , low DOF and somehow low quality image, what lens do u use , nikon or sigma¿? How do u focus, manualy or auto¿? I think u shoud use for greater close ups a F11-F13-F14 aperture, in FF the DOF is very low.Andrei

To answer your questions, Nikon 105mm micor with 12 mm extension tubes, manual focus.
Will definitely try to stop down more as full frame is fairly new to me .

Thank you for your input and suggestions.

Birdie

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Damsels and Skippers

I agree that portrait format, with significant cropping, would improve the damsel. However, at the time of shooting, a different viewpoint might have made the droplets of water less prominent and less competition for the centre of attention.

Harold

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM
andreloo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Damsels and Skippers

birdied wrote:
To answer your questions, Nikon 105mm micor with 12 mm extension tubes, manual focus.
Will definitely try to stop down more as full frame is fairly new to me .

Thank you for your input and suggestions.

Birdie

Hi , u have a great gear but u must learn to use it better , the most difficult is to focus and to control the movement and the DOF, just practice!!Andrei

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Damsels and Skippers

very nice Roberta

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:01 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.