New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · The Intersection of Art and Life

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Intersection of Art and Life

Taken yesterday morning, Sheridan Square Park, NYC. Lighting circumstances were difficult as the subjects were in shade and the background was in bright light. Color didn't seem to work very well because of the shade, so switched to black and white using Nik Silver Effects Pro. Any PP suggestions appreciated.

© eeneryma 2012

The Intersection of Art and Life

Sep 08, 2013 at 01:47 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Intersection of Art and Life

I like your title and a great city street scene!
Conversion looks generally good. Good choice for BW.
You have some blown out areas worth trying to tone down/recover. Did you pull back highlights in SEP? Check out the top of the bag the homeless person is resting his head on. Maybe the tops of the shoes of the figures front left. Behind the figures the building facade appears blown out.
In addition to the highlight slider for recovery, you could also consider using control points to bring down the exposure and highlights in those focal areas.
Scott

Sep 08, 2013 at 07:30 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Intersection of Art and Life

Hi Scott: Thanks for your suggestions. I need some clarifictions. Feel dumb asking this, but what is SEP? Under what adjustment do I find the highlight slider, "exposure? I never used control points to bring exposure up and down, so would appreciate info on how to do this.

Sep 08, 2013 at 09:58 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Intersection of Art and Life

Sorry.
SEP=Silver Efex Pro.
My mistake, no exposure slider. However, if you place a control point you can dial down "brightness" which will help with the blown out areas. Perhaps more importantly, in the right panel as you go from top to bottom you will see controls for brightness, contrast, structure. A bit below that are controls I think labeled Tonality with two sliders beneath. The slider on the right will help recover highlights. The left, shadows.
If you have more trouble finding this, let me know and I will do a screen shot vs working from memory.
Scott

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:05 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Intersection of Art and Life

thanks so much for your instructions. Will play with this tonight.

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:26 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.