Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Reflection setup

Julian Nell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reflection setup

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to set up a setup for shooting images of bugs and flowers with a reflection.

All that I know how to do right now is put a spotless mirror flat on a surface with the color of background I want behind it.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I will say it anyways, I am going to be using the on camera flash with a diffuser for the lighting.

I hope I have given enough information.

Thanks,
Julian

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:16 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reflection setup

Here's an example where the surface was plain glass over a dark table. It was lit with a small LED panel sitting less than a foot from the objects. The camera was propped up on the table, so it likely would have been even better with a tripod and MLU. Nikon D800 at 1/40, f/29, ISO 1600 with a 105VR lens.

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:06 AM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reflection setup

I didn't know you could use just glass; I thought you needed a mirror. One thing in your image that I am hoping to not have is the multiple reflections. I would prefer to compose images in a way that it is half and half with the subject and the reflection and can't really see being able to do that with multiple reflections.

Thanks,
Julian

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:58 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reflection setup

You can find a variety of reflective surfaces. I've used, for instance, black piano's and smooth tabletops. It helps to get the lens very low and almost parallel to the reflective surface.

A sheet of glass has two surfaces, so the double reflections that you're referencing could be from the bottom of the glass or the brown table that's underneath. I will eventually clone out most of the extraneous reflections.

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reflection setup

Thanks!

Julian

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:20 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reflection setup

I use a piece of black plexiglas for this kind of reflection shot. The first-surface reflection prevents the double image that glass provides.

<Chas>

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:25 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reflection setup

+1 ^

You wil always get double reflections if light has the ability to pass through the material your object is sitting on. A solid opaque surface such as plexi gives you that one sharp reflection. It doesn't have to be black, you can use what ever colour you have envisioned the result to be. There are also thin flexible vinyl materials with gloss surfaces that work, however any small defect or deviation will be seen in the reflected image.

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Reflection setup

That looks like what I want. Thank you!

Julian

Sep 09, 2013 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password