Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

C-Print vs. Inkjet revisited?

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · C-Print vs. Inkjet revisited?

So these days, what is the choice of fine art photographers for color work? I've been seeing more and more inkjet printing in galleries, but I'm curious as to how many still prefer C-prints, especially among landscape photographers?

As far as C-prints go, I know that FujiFlex was highly regarded for landscapes at one point...

I'm dabbling in landscapes a bit lately, and was curious what the "Rolls Royce" of digital color printing is these days for landscapes.

Sep 08, 2013 at 05:39 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #2 · C-Print vs. Inkjet revisited?

The Luminous Landscape Printers, Papers, and Inks forum would be the place to ask.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

Brian A

Sep 08, 2013 at 09:44 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #3 · C-Print vs. Inkjet revisited?

Evan,

Nice to see your still around and photographing.

I think your going to run into a lot of opinions on this, and I will start the ball rolling with mine.

I don't think there is a right or wrong choice here, both will produce great results.

I have a Canon ipf8300 44" wide printer using 12 pigmented inks. For me I can fine tune an image to achieve exactly what I want, using a vast variety of paper choices to achieve my vision for a particular image.

A high end pigmented inkjet printer will have a wider color gamut and a higher longevity rating, and arguably more detail as well.

For me the choice is easy, but may not be for you. Many pro labs with pigmented ink printers may only have a limited choice of papers and may only accept sRGB and 8bit files. To me this is limiting the ultimate quality available from a high end pigmented inkjet printer.

Sam

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:43 PM
taran
• •
p.1 #4 · C-Print vs. Inkjet revisited?

I tend to go with the big names on this one, because their prints sell for millions and end up in museums, hence my thinking that whatever they use is good enough.

Richard Prince runs an Epson 11880, imho. This is what I have gathered from inspecting his prints in person.

Recent Gursky's are still C-Prints (this is of Art Basel miami 2012), and imho don't look as good as the Richard Prince mixed media stuff.

Sugimoto and the big German names are C-print advocates as well, from recent gallery auctions I have witnessed.

MOMA has way more C-print than archival inkjet, but that number will change over time imho.

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · C-Print vs. Inkjet revisited?

For those of us who sell at several orders of magnitude less than the big names... some may have already been mentioned by others.

1) I use an inkjet because I can control my process and produce a print I like
2) I can produce the colors I want at the tonality I want
3) I am less limited as to size of image
4) I can use whatever papers I want appropriate to the image
5) I can experiment with papers and other surfaces that a lab wouldn't touch
6) My prints will (arguably) last longer than a C print
7) Prints "created by the artist's hand" will command higher prices
8) I don't have to deal with hazardous chemicals
9) I can better control the detail at which I print

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · C-Print vs. Inkjet revisited?

Thanks for the feedback all.

:sigh:

I miss my Epson 3800, but we have no room in our tiny apartment for it. So I'm looking at labs, and that's why I'm playing with different options.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #7 · C-Print vs. Inkjet revisited?

Evan Baines wrote:
I miss my Epson 3800, but we have no room in our tiny apartment for it. So I'm looking at labs, and that's why I'm playing with different options.

If you're looking for more than a pro-lab can offer you, you might want to find a fine art printer (i.e., using a wide format printer such as a 9900) that's able to address your image needs with regard to printing, file types, and fine art substrates.

ken

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:00 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · C-Print vs. Inkjet revisited?

Hi Evan. Good to see you still visiting FM.

Since you said "Rolls Royce", I suggest you check out/talk to the folks at Nash Editions. I have never sent any work to them (mainly since I live outside the U.S.) but I have always wanted to.

"Nash" comes from Graham Nash of Crosby, Stills, and Nash fame. The company was started by him and Mac Holbert (former road manager for C,S,&N). They had an early interest in digital fine-art printing and the business has been operating since 1991.

Mac also does training along with John Paul Caponigro.

Anyway, I know you take photography seriously and I thought that company might have a history and dedication to the craft that you might find interesting.

http://www.nasheditions.com/

Sep 12, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #9 · C-Print vs. Inkjet revisited?

Also check out the only lab that I have used I would do repeat business with:

http://www.dalmatianlab.com

Sep 14, 2013 at 04:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password