Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

Doctorevil23

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

Help me Obe One Kanobe, you are my...wait wrong forum.

I'm quite perplexed and need to know what I've done wrong. (I assume it to be user error). Here's the setup: 5DIII in live view mode (photo not video) to compose and focus the shot. Tv mode with an 85mm 1.8 Canon lens attached.

I was shooting a series of portraits of a football team, when at the tail end of the series, my 5DIII decided to NOT record a picture when I released the shutter. This happened with the last 10 pictures in a series of about 50. The mirror & shutter seemed to have done their job (by sound) but no picture was recorded.

I recognized that during those last shots, my flash (550ex triggered by the st-e2) also did not fire. I thought it was only a line of sight issue having slightly moved the light for those shots, but I feel now they were connected somehow.

I don't remember changing any settings, so I fear it was a camera issue, but I just can't understand it. So, oh wise FM community, what say you? Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Has someone else had this happen to them? Is it a camera issue and not me?

Looking for help. Thanks in advance for reading and assisting with a response.

Sep 08, 2013 at 04:16 PM
mitesh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

Was a RAW or JPEG file created? If so, check the EXIF in DPP or whatever software you use to process photos. Since the flash didn't fire, it is possible that you have a very underexposed image that looks like a black frame.

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Doctorevil23

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

No file was created at all, not just a severely underexposed shot. That's what I don't understand.

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:58 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

Doctorevil23 wrote:
I recognized that during those last shots, my flash (550ex triggered by the st-e2) also did not fire. I thought it was only a line of sight issue having slightly moved the light for those shots, but I feel now they were connected somehow.

I didn't think you could use flash with Live View mode...?

Sep 08, 2013 at 07:04 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

molson wrote:
I didn't think you could use flash with Live View mode...?

Flash works just fine in LV. There would have been a real firestorm on these forums if flash was disabled!

If you shoot faster than the recycle the 550EX will not fire. Happens to me in the heat of the moment every now and again.

Hard to say what happened as there are so many variables. Could be something with your card or a camera problem. Maybe the CMOS overheated or the battery was getting low. Or the camera needs a PRAM reset.

Sep 08, 2013 at 07:30 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

Gochugogi wrote:
Flash works just fine in LV.

Not in silent mode...

Sep 08, 2013 at 11:50 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

To diagnose problem:

Remount flash
Make sure flash fires with check button
make sure you are getting green focus confirmation lit up
put different memory card in (is yours possibly full?)
try and shoot in non-LV mode

Lots of variables but go back to square 1

Sep 10, 2013 at 03:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

In some cases this happens when the card is removed and re-inserted. The camera switches to the 2nd card. If you have two cards in the camera, check them both for the missing images.

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:43 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

I've asked this question here before a few times with no answer. I can't get my flash to fire in live view and I'd really like to be able to do that.

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:23 AM
Paure1

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

Hi, I have had this problem (cannot get the shutter to fire in Live Mode, 5D3) happen once - no flash involved. I checked the settings, went out of Live Mode and then back into Live Mode - same problem.

I powered Off then On and problem gone. Haven't been able to figure out what combination caused the problem.

Hope this helps, Allan

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:17 AM
Doctorevil23

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

I tried shooting last night in LV mode with no flash and again, no pictures are created when I shoot. I turn the camera on, switch on LV (still mode) half-press to focus. Full press to take the picture (SD card in, no CF card in). Shutter activates, screen blanks. I then try and review the picture by pressing the play button. No picture.

I've disabled and enabled live view shooting with no change. Not sure what other setting to check. Might need to go in for service, but I'll need to wait for my 1DIII to come back first. My issue now is confirmed to not have anything to do with the flash/st-e2 at all.

Any other settings I should try to play with?

Sep 25, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

Doctorevil23 wrote:
I tried shooting last night in LV mode with no flash and again, no pictures are created when I shoot. I turn the camera on, switch on LV (still mode) half-press to focus. Full press to take the picture (SD card in, no CF card in). Shutter activates, screen blanks. I then try and review the picture by pressing the play button. No picture.

I've disabled and enabled live view shooting with no change. Not sure what other setting to check. Might need to go in for service, but I'll need to wait for my 1DIII to come back first.
...Show more

Yes, before you cart the works off to Canon, reset the PRAM: remove mains and backup (clock) batteries and let set a spell. Usually fixes my cameras, computers, phones, etc., when they go haywire. Too bad it doesn't work with people too...

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:18 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5DIII not taking picture in live view mode

Doctorevil23 wrote:
...I turn the camera on, switch on LV (still mode) half-press to focus. Full press to take the picture (SD card in, no CF card in). Shutter activates, screen blanks. I then try and review the picture by pressing the play button. No picture.

I'm not familiar with your camera model, but just to check:

Could it be that it's set to allow firing with no card inserted, and also set to go to the CF slot instead of the SD slot?

I'd experiment by having a card in both slots and see if it records then.

(And BTW, it's Obi-Wan Kenobi. )

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password