1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

scottam10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

morby wrote
I disagree with this. There's still plenty to photograph after the first dance is over. Many of my favorite photos happen at the reception.

I guess it depends on the schedule of the day

In my experience, the dinner, speeches and cake cutting are already done, and the 'first dance' is the last major event on the program. After that it's mostly just dancing, with people getting more drunk as the night goes on.

Mainly though I see it as a way to cut down on hours; 12 hours is a long day and the OP said he was struggling.

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:20 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

Around here, the first dance happens before anything else at the reception, including dinner. So that definitely wouldn't work for us.

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:26 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

joelconner wrote:
the x100s (which I always use)

When do you use that one?

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:34 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

ckhagen wrote:
Around here, the first dance happens before anything else at the reception, including dinner.

You're probably aware but that's real regional across the US. Some areas, the first dance almost never happens before dinner.

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:36 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

scottam10 wrote:
In my experience, the dinner, speeches and cake cutting are already done, and the 'first dance' is the last major event on the program.

No parents dances?

No dollar dance?

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:38 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

D. Diggler wrote:
When do you use that one?

Mainly when I want to focus on candids...it's small and draws less attention to my pointing a camera at someone

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:49 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

ckhagen wrote:
Around here, the first dance happens before anything else at the reception, including dinner. So that definitely wouldn't work for us.

OK, now I see why you didn't agree with my suggestion to leave after the first dance!

Obviously the wedding program will vary, but I'm just suggesting to the OP that he might be able to find ways to trim his day to 8-10 hours and still get all the shots he needs

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:55 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

D. Diggler wrote:
No parents dances?

No dollar dance?

The parents dances are normally pretty soon after the 'first dance'. No idea what a dollar dance is(?)

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:57 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

D. Diggler wrote:
You're probably aware but that's real regional across the US. Some areas, the first dance almost never happens before dinner.

Yes, I'm aware it's pretty regional. Here, they go directly from the introduction to the dance floor and do first dance and a welcome toast. Food is generally served immediately after that. Parent dances are done right after the first dance in the fall/winter/spring, but in the summer when the sunset is late, parent dances aren't done until after dinner. Then again, ALL of our receptions end at 10pm unless they have special clearance to go until 11. So we have a lot to fit in between sunset and 10pm.

Sep 09, 2013 at 11:11 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

ckhagen wrote:
Parent dances are done right after the first dance in the fall/winter/spring, but in the summer when the sunset is late, parent dances aren't done until after dinner.

That I didn't know.

My receptions go till midnight.

Sep 09, 2013 at 11:17 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

Start going to a gym, you'll do 3 wedding in a row with no issues. When you sit all day for 6 days and then have to work/walk for 12 hours, it is a lot of stress on your body,even if you are young

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM
dotun Ayodeji

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

12hrs days pretty short for me, mine is mostly 16

Sep 15, 2013 at 02:33 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

I don't wheel in all my gear. I take gear out of the trunk of the car as necessary for the various wedding venues throughout the day. The backups stay in the trunk all day. How many more bodies does anyone need after two? Do your cameras keep breaking?

Sep 16, 2013 at 01:27 PM
othfilm
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

friscoron wrote:
So maybe you should tell clients you only do 6-8 hour weddings. The thing is, if you don't like the way something is working out, only you can change it. But you actually have to do something to make the change. Complaining about the situation, and then dismissing our very good recommendations, doesn't really get you anywhere.

But then he wouldn't have most of his posts...though it seems like dozens of threads about raising prices have sunk in a little bit

Sep 16, 2013 at 08:45 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

I agree that an assistant would be extremely useful. If I had an assistant, then I could also use a wheeled case because I wouldn't have to worry about both hands being free.

The last reception I shot, I used 6 flashes - 4 off camera (rectangular but somewhat irregular reception requiring 2 flashes at special positions where the other 2 wouldn't reach/were giving bad shadows) and 2 on-camera. I do often use 5-6 flashes for a reception, but that does include on-camera for fill.

Today is only pre-ceremony photos. I will bring 2 flashes, two fully ready cameras, and about 5 lenses (14, 24, 35, 50, 85). It won't be hard to carry around, and I could always not take 50 if I wanted to. If I had my 16-35 fixed from Canon (gone back for the 4th time without fixing it yet), then I could get by with 16-35, 35 and 85. These smaller, shorter sessions are definitely becoming more desirable to me.

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

How will you ever cope if Uncle Bob has a 135mm f/2.0 or 70-200mm?

form wrote
I will bring about 5 lenses (14, 24, 35, 50, 85). I could get by with 16-35, 35 and 85.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM
form
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

....I don't mind? As long as they are not causing distraction. I'm not an egotist carrying a big load of stuff just because I want to impress people. I am a rather-have-it-and-not-need-it type of person, who balances that by trying to be conscious about practicality at the same time.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

I've been thinking about hiring an assistant/mule for longer wedding days. I try to keep my load light when moving around a lot (like leaving the bulk of my gear in the car if they're getting ready at a hotel and then traveling right after). I'm really glad I picked up a 24-70 as a catch-all when working light. I'll usually have a 2-body 35/85 combo + a 24-70 in the bag and another random more "specialty" lens that I think I might use at a given moment (macro, 24 TS-E, 135/2). With that I feel pretty prepared for practically any scenario.

Sep 20, 2013 at 01:08 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

@Form:

I was only joking.

If anything, I'm probably worse than you as far as bringing gear. I use 8 flashes, wish I could buy 2 more for odd-shaped venues, and would like to buy an UWA and the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 if it ever comes out.

Sep 20, 2013 at 07:01 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Think I'm going to have to say no to 12-hour days

Nikon_14 wrote:
would like to buy an UWA and the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 if it ever comes out.

I have an UWA zoom that comes in handy for maybe less shots in a day than I have fingers on one hand.

And I, too, have started thinking about the Sig 135 for maybe next year if it comes out. I could use a Nikon prime a little longer than what I've got now. Been considering the Nikkor 180/2.8 but I gather that, optically, it's not that good wide open.

Sep 20, 2013 at 07:35 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.