Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

StanNJ1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

Sep 08, 2013 at 05:11 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

Nice work mate, use this myself all the time, i would suggest you have your main light closer to her normally i'm no more than a meter or so away.

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:32 AM
Kronick
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

Agreed with the above post. If your main light was closer to the subject, you'd achieve a much softer light quality on her skin.

Sep 08, 2013 at 12:37 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

I can probably get better light without those lights and my 135L, bring those lights closer.

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:13 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

loled hard at the facebook page name (in a good way)

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:20 PM
StanNJ1

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

Here's why I didn't have the lights in closer..........

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:34 PM
24Peter
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

I like them Stan. I don't think moving the lights is important unless you want to change the [apparent] hardness/softness of the light. I would just notch up the overall exposure in the computer and you're good to go.

Sep 08, 2013 at 03:58 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

Outside of a little fill or a reflector, I have never understood why one would want to use artificial light in a natural outdoor light setting. Wouldn't this photo be way more pleasant with natural light? When I see a photo like this, I wonder where the light is coming from. There is light on her front and her back. That doesn't happen often outdoors. We only have one sun. Why substitute harsh unnatural lighting for beautiful natural light? If used, artificial lights should blend in and not be noticeable. Look at the beautiful lighting in shots by Lisa Holloway, for example. The photos here just look very unnatural to me. May as well use a green screen if you want studio lighting in a natural light setting.

Sep 08, 2013 at 05:22 PM
StanNJ1

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

elliotkramer wrote:
If used, artificial lights should blend in and not be noticeable. Look at the beautiful lighting in shots by Lisa Holloway, for example.

I believe Lisa only shoots with natural lighting.

Sep 08, 2013 at 05:31 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

StanNJ1 wrote:
Here's why I didn't have the lights in closer..........

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying you set your lights for a long shot, then shot the closer portrait? Looks like those lights are easily moved...

In addition to the light being softer with your main closer, you will also be able to get the main higher. I think a higher main in more of a loop pattern would be more flattering.

Here's something that would help the long shot. Her weight is static, she's flat footed. Get her to put her weight on her back leg and stand more on the toes of her front leg, it will make her legs more shapely.

Sep 08, 2013 at 05:37 PM

gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

I agree that natural light would have been the best bet here. Looks to be really nice setting and great, flat lighting.

In the first shot, her shoulder is shiny and there are fingertip shadows on her arm.

Did you try any without the lights?

greg

Sep 08, 2013 at 05:59 PM
StanNJ1

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

dmacmillan-I set up the lighting for the long shot, but when I moved in tighter I didn't move the main light with me. In hind sight I should have and I appreciate the advice. This is why I post in the forums. Thanks for the posing tip as well. Your post is made in a very helpful way and I appreciate you and others that have responded for taking the time.

elliotkramer-You bring up a very interesting point which I think is worthy of it's own discussion so I'll be starting a thread shortly asking for other opinions too.

Personally I don't mind the artificial light. I'm not trying to fool anyone or simulate the sun. It's obvious that strobes were used and I'm ok with that. More times than not the available light isn't optimum and using strobes will give me much better odds of coming home with images of a well lit subject.

Regarding Lisa's natural lighting.....I love her work and if I could get the same results I would sell my strobes tomorrow. But it's just not practical, for me at least, to think I'm going to achieve Lisa-Like quality (I'm not even sure she's really a human)

Please look for my thread http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1239786 seeking different opinions on strobe vs. natural light. It will be interesting to see what others think.

Lisa-I already know what your preference is, but I'm hoping you join the discussion.

Edited on Sep 08, 2013 at 07:36 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:07 PM
StanNJ1

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

gheller wrote:
I agree that natural light would have been the best bet here. Looks to be really nice setting and great, flat lighting.

In the first shot, her shoulder is shiny and there are fingertip shadows on her arm.

Did you try any without the lights?

greg

No I didn't Greg. And the ST-E3 and 600EX-RTs are so reliable that I don't even have a misfire that I can look at.

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:09 PM
pinball
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

The overall photo is dark was it cloudy out

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:54 PM
StanNJ1

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

So here's another shot. And using this as an example for the previous discussion there wasn't very much light there with most of what was available was very flat at best. So without strobes I don't think I would be nearly as happy with the final image as I am here.

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:56 PM
Stu Scully

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

Great photos! In regards to off camera lighting I've seen so many different views on it as well. I have some friends that refuse to shoot with OCF and some that always use strobes. Ultimately what it boils down to (with my friends and overall) is your shooting style.

OCF has a technical element to it that some photographers love to grasp and master. Some think that natural sunlight is the best light you can ever get. I personally shoot both ways (for me it depends on what I'm trying to accomplish and what conditions I'm shooting in).

As long as you, the photographer, are happy and the client (especially if you're getting paid) is happy then the tools are a means to an end, nothing more, nothing less.

And I too find your Facebook name hilariously creative!

Sep 08, 2013 at 07:34 PM
StanNJ1

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

Stu Scully wrote:
Great photos! In regards to off camera lighting I've seen so many different views on it as well. I have some friends that refuse to shoot with OCF and some that always use strobes. Ultimately what it boils down to (with my friends and overall) is your shooting style.

OCF has a technical element to it that some photographers love to grasp and master. Some think that natural sunlight is the best light you can ever get. I personally shoot both ways (for me it depends on what I'm trying to accomplish and what conditions I'm shooting in).

As long
...Show more

Stu I appreciate your opinion. I just started the strobe vs. natural light thread and wished it was in time to have your reply posted there as well..... .http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1239786

Sep 08, 2013 at 07:38 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

Yes, regarding the distance of the light from the subject...I recall a formula from...maybe Chimera, that explained the optimum subject : softbox distance.
I think it was the diagonal size of the box was the "best" distance to get the "full effect" of the Chimera goodness. The further away the box gets the smaller it is and int he OPs BTS his 2x box was more like a 10 inch reflector. It is "enlightening" to move a 4x6 box in very close to your victim, er subject as opposed to putting it 10 or 15 feet away because that's where it fits or was set up previously.
That is why on movie sets or (Annie L shots) they will set up a 20x20 silk with 10k HMI that is 20 feet a way from a shot of 2 or 3 people....they get the softness and the distance.

But everyone is free to do what they want.

Sep 08, 2013 at 09:55 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Jess-Outdoor off camera lighting with BTS

Just a clarification - I never said Lisa used artificial lighting. I understand how there could be some confusion because I have two unrelated sentences next to each other.

Sep 08, 2013 at 11:47 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password