Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Antelope Canyon in Nov?

Patrick Cox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

I am planning a trip to southern Utah / northern Arizona in early November and I was wondering if Antelope canyon is worth visiting this time of year. I understand I would not see light shafts in the canyons and I am ok with that. But I want to make sure there are still some nice glows and reflected light in the canyons this time of year. And obviously one benefit of Nov will be will be fewer people.

Any other places to visit in Page? (I am aware of Horseshoe Bend.)

Thanks!

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:23 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

Zion's fall colors are usually at or near peak in the first week of November.

If you're going to be in the Page area already, Antelope is certainly worth a visit. I'd suggest the 2 hour photographer's pass option at 'Lower Antelope.'

If House Rock Rd is passable and you're up for a modest hike, Buckskin Gulch is always superb. The two Coyote Buttes districts are also in the area. 1+ hour west of Page.

Whaweap and Toadstool hoodoo forests also along 89, w. of Page.

Cottonwood Canyon too. Check road conditions at http://www.usa-reporter.com/reporter/GSENM-Road-Condition-Report.pdf before committing.

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:11 AM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

Greg Campbell wrote:

If you're going to be in the Page area already, Antelope is certainly worth a visit. I'd suggest the 2 hour photographer's pass option at 'Lower Antelope.'

If House Rock Rd is passable and you're up for a modest hike, Buckskin Gulch is always superb. The two Coyote Buttes districts are also in the area. 1+ hour west of Page.

Cottonwood Canyon too. Check road conditions at http://www.usa-reporter.com/reporter/GSENM-Road-Condition-Report.pdf before committing.

Hi,
Yes, the main point of my trip is to visit Zion in the fall. Then I am trying to consider if it is worth a drive down to Page for a day and a half to shoot Horseshoe Bend and Antelope. Those are the main two things that I think could fit into my schedule. (I am also considering one night in Bryce.) However if light in Antelope is less than the average you would get other times of the year, then I may try to do Antelope another time. Again, I am not so concerned about the light beams but I want to make sure I can get light along the lines of this image. (I assume this was taken shooting up.)

Linked from Glamgrid.com

Otherwise, I will just spend more time in Zion.

Thanks again

Sep 08, 2013 at 11:41 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

I've never been in Nov, but Feb and Mar visits were very good. As mentioned by Greg, there are many things to do around Page.. I think you would enjoy some time there in Nov.

Sep 08, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

OK, great, thanks for the feedback!

Sep 08, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

Greg Campbell wrote:

Greg,
What is the best time of day to shoot the Toadstool hoodoos? It seems like they are a shorter hike than the Whaweap hoodoos, correct? Thanks!

Sep 08, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Robert Snow
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

I don't want to throw water on the fire, but I saw a video a few days ago that showed Lower Antelope Canyon being totally flooded, at least that is what they said.

You might want to check on the net before making solid plans...

bob snow

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:16 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

Patrick, it looks like sunrise provides the most direct light on the largest Toadstool hoodoo. Sunset is slightly obscured by a low hill to the WSW, although any diffusive clouds present will likely provide very pretty sunset light. The Toadstool hike is ~1/2 mile, much shorter than the Whaweap march.

Time of day is not always particularly important in Jackalope and other slots. As the light changes, different areas will light up, providing a steady supply of shooting opportunities. Direct, bright sun is preferred since it seems to give the warmest 'bounce light' effect. If you've never visited, and won't be back for a while, I'd say the drive to Page is worth the effort.

If headed for any of the off-road destinations in the area, be sure to stop at the BLM office in Kanab (on the way out of town as you drive east.) and inquire re. road conditions. The guides do tend to overstate things a little, so subtract 30~40% from their estimates. That said, House Rock, Cottonwood, etc. can all be transformed into utterly impassable knee deep owl poo by a simple winter rain. Don't get stuck out in the toolies! While at the BLM, play the Coyote Buttes lottery if you like. Look into the Southern section of CB. The hike is slightly harder than the 'wave' tromp, but there is little competition for permits, and the scenery is just as pretty.

If you do visit Horseshoe, make a point to hike a ways (1/4 to 1+ mile) to the north or south along the most promising lip, just to acquire a unique view and avoid the bottomless tripod holes that have been worn in the rock at trail's end. Unless the sky is providing soft light, avoid the harsh glare encountered by the typical post-Antelope mid-day visit. Sunrise or sunset can both produce a glorious scene.

Edited on Sep 08, 2013 at 08:45 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

I did a 1/2 day tour of Antelope, Rattlesnake and Owl Canyons. Rattlesnake in particular was nice and doing it without a crowd was a huge bonus. Under this tour we were given the same privileges of the photo pass option for lower Antelope. In any case I would not shoot Antelope on a general admission pass. Some sample pics of my Aug trip can be seen here.
Dave

Sep 08, 2013 at 03:22 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

Patrick Cox wrote:
Again, I am not so concerned about the light beams but I want to make sure I can get light along the lines of this image. (I assume this was taken shooting up.)

Linked from Glamgrid.com

Otherwise, I will just spend more time in Zion.

Thanks again

Well....
Keep in mind that the quoted image is not exactly 'straight from the camera.'
Someone's saturation slider goes all the way to ELEVEN!

AFAIK, fall/winter color is not inherently less (or more) pretty than what you'd see in the summer months.

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:00 AM
mievil

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

I wanna bump this. I know it has been years, but I just found this on the web.

Any other info on Antelope in November? I know generally the sun is best early for the slots, but in the winter, would a 1pm slot be acceptable? It's about all that is left on our day in.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:29 PM
JohnC
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

The light in winter is colder and more muted, the sun does not get high enough for the sunbeam.
On the plus side it was quite empty compared to summer.
The first shot was in May (2011) the second in December a year later.

Upper Antelope in May

Upper Antelope in December

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:51 PM
mievil

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

Its actually a nice contrast between those 2 shots.

Do you know what time the winter shot was taken?

Nov 11, 2017 at 04:46 PM
JohnC
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

Thr first was about noon, the winter shot about 2pm.

Nov 11, 2017 at 04:53 PM
mievil

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

Awesome. Just booked tours. Looks like we will be taking an extra day so we can do Upper and Lower, do the sightseeing tours, and then maybe I will come back for photo tour after I see the chaos. Thanks.

Nov 12, 2017 at 02:00 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Antelope Canyon in Nov?

It is never worth visiting anymore unless you want to be in a massive crowd and shoot under someone's legs to get the shot...

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:51 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password