New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 70d - GPS Solutions

cobraboy1997

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 70d - GPS Solutions

I just upgraded to a 70d and love it.

Headed to Europe on vacation in a few weeks and looking for an easy way to capture and manage location data while traveling and taking images.

I currently use an IPhone 5 using GPS4Cam with Verizon, so I can manage the data that way. Nice application but is there an easier way to record this information?

It appears that neither the Canon GPS-E1 & E2 will directly work with the camera.

If there isn't an easier way, that is fine. I thought that I would go to a professional site to see if someone has experience.

Thanks for any help.

Sep 07, 2013 at 07:54 PM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 70d - GPS Solutions

I believe the GPS-E2 is compatible.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/2013/08/#t10

Sep 08, 2013 at 08:07 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 70d - GPS Solutions

The GP-E2 is indeed compatible, and is the easiest plug and play solution.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847538-REG/Canon_6363B001_GPS_Receiver_GP_E2.html

Sep 08, 2013 at 08:58 AM
cobraboy1997

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 70d - GPS Solutions

Gentlemen,
I appreciate your info. Was a bit unsure if the GP-e2 would work with the camera.

Will get one on order and learn how to use before I leave on vacation.

Thanks,

Sep 08, 2013 at 11:12 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 70d - GPS Solutions

One thing that might work is to use a GPS logging function on your phone, and then merge the data and shots later- but this can be tedious and depends on close syncing of the clocks on the phone and camera. Still, a lot cheaper in terms of cost, weight, size, and battery life.

And I'm glad that my 6D has GPS built-in- just as I'm annoyed that they cut it from the 70D. There's no real reason for it other than greed.

Sep 08, 2013 at 05:03 PM
Larate
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 70d - GPS Solutions

FWIW, I try several GPS logging softs, on both iPhone or Android. All are claimed easy to use blah blah. Marketing claims from my point of view :

* GPS chip drains the battery of the smartphone really too much. I can't keep it on the whole day.

* Photos are geotagged on the desktop, which increases the complexity of my workflow (most of the softs don't integrate themselves with Lr).

* If GPS data's clock and photos' clock are not in sync, it is often a pita to geotag after the event (and I often forgot to sync the smartphone and the camera before starting up).
Most of the softs are either fully auto or only manual and ergonomics are not their strength.

After spending to much time and money, I finally bought the GP-E2. I don't have these troubles anymore. I've got others !

Sep 08, 2013 at 05:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.