Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · "Norma"

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Norma"

I wanted to portray her strong personality...proud.

btw 1st time studio shoot with lights

Sep 07, 2013 at 09:02 PM
gempixel
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Norma"

IMO i think you did a great job of capturing her personality!

How'd you like the studio shooting for the first time?

Sep 07, 2013 at 10:30 PM
SargentRay
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Norma"

Sunny i must say i am really impressed if this is actually a first studio lighting experience for you. Bravo mon ami !

A couple of things could be improved for your next shootings, if i may ?

1-) The background is way to close to the subject and the wrinkles become apparent in the seamless.
Perhaps you could not move it away not having enough room.

2-) In my opinion, posture, choice of dress and especially this beautiful couch create a very nice setting for the kind of portrait you were going for, but then again it was not suppose to be an ad for the couch either. In that respect maybe there is just a little to much space around your subject giving just as much importance to the couch as to the model. Maybe cropping in closer around the couch and model would bring back attention on the subject.

3-) For me shot # 1 and 5 are the strongest compositions of the set. I would only suggest being more careful with such angles of shooting as in #1. First the shoe in the forward field will always appear bigger at such a low angle. If you look closely at the shot although it is a beautiful footwear it appears bigger than the head of your subject. Raising camera angle a bit would diminish this effect as well as expose less of the models nostrils which i was always told was to be avoided at all costs when doing a portrait.

I mention this simply because this was pointed out to me in this self portrait i did last fall, while testing my new flash heads.

Hope you receive this as constructive criticism for a job already very well done.

Sep 08, 2013 at 01:07 AM
S. Calvino

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Norma"

That guys eyes are so sharp

Sep 08, 2013 at 01:51 AM
StanNJ1

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Norma"

SargentRay wrote:
Sunny i must say i am really impressed if this is actually a first studio lighting experience for you. Bravo mon ami ! A couple of things could be improved for your next shootings, if i may ?

Hey Sarge those are excellent suggestions for the OP. Thanks for taking the time to help

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:55 AM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Norma"

@ S.Calvino & StanNJ1, thanks guys i received so much help here and on other forums with similar C&C it seems only fair i give back a little of what i have learned. Couldn't help noticing the similarities between Sunny's 1st shot and my self portrait. The size and importance of the shoe in my shot was pointed out to me in a less respectuful manner: Hey guy nice shoe ad....

Know what i mean ?

Sep 08, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Norma"

Sunny,
The layman's view. Well, THIS layman's view:
My first reaction was in #1, #2, and #4 because the right foot/shoe was so big.
My second reaction was that you captured the woman's strength quite well... except for the last shot, which-because of the smile- seems to emphasize glamour rather than strength of personality.
Just imo of course.
Well done with all of these.
Charlie

Sep 08, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "Norma"

gempixel wrote:
IMO i think you did a great job of capturing her personality!

How'd you like the studio shooting for the first time?

Thank you. I like it, lots of things to keep in mind, lot more chimping looking for hotspots etc.

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "Norma"

SargentRay wrote:
Sunny i must say i am really impressed if this is actually a first studio lighting experience for you. Bravo mon ami !

A couple of things could be improved for your next shootings, if i may ?

1-) The background is way to close to the subject and the wrinkles become apparent in the seamless.
Perhaps you could not move it away not having enough room.

2-) In my opinion, posture, choice of dress and especially this beautiful couch create a very nice setting for the kind of portrait you were going for, but then again it was
...Show more

Ray,
Thank you for the feedback, this is exactly what I was looking for..and now the shoe looks huge. Cropping is one of areas i struggle with in portraits...and i think its highly subjective area. Last time i was told i cropped too much

Its a good learning experience, and i look forward to more critique and feedback from you.

Thank you

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:58 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "Norma"

StanNJ1 wrote:
Hey Sarge those are excellent suggestions for the OP. Thanks for taking the time to help

+1

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:59 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "Norma"

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Sunny,
The layman's view. Well, THIS layman's view:
My first reaction was in #1, #2, and #4 because the right foot/shoe was so big.
My second reaction was that you captured the woman's strength quite well... except for the last shot, which-because of the smile- seems to emphasize glamour rather than strength of personality.
Just imo of course.
Well done with all of these.
Charlie

Charlie,
Thank you! You know i care about your view..you and I have been around these boards a while now. I have the utmost respect for your views and opinions.

Sep 11, 2013 at 06:00 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password