Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

FuFuFotto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

I am looking for recommendations for selecting a macro lens.

I would like to have a macro lens to shoot micro creatures, such as tiny ants and hairy leaves, as well as small merchandise, such as jewelries etc. I am not sure about the purpose of these two lens. I would think about buying one of the two, not both. So any comments will help. Thank you in advance.

Sep 07, 2013 at 07:10 PM
12monkeys
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

Even with stacked tubes, a normal macro lens such as the 100L won't really get you close enough for micro creatures. Your choice is between the mpe-65 and a microscope objective.

Sep 07, 2013 at 07:18 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

I wouldn't start with the 65 as a first macro lens. It is capable of 5:1 magnification. It is a very specialized lens that doesn't work like other lenses. For example, it is manual focus only and won't focus at infinity. Secondly, you will likely need special macro equipment like focusing rails macro lighting. It is a lens that requires learning and even investment in accessories to get the best results.

On the other hand, the 100 (there are two versions- an image stabilized L and a non-L)is a terrific all around lens in addition to being a macro lens. Though it can't magnify like the 65, it can do 1:1. If I was not experienced in macro shooting and was looking to get into it, I would start with the 100 (non-L) for around $400 used and later determine if I was dedicated enough to then purchase the 65 and macro accessories.

Sep 07, 2013 at 07:42 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

The MPE starts at 1:1

So if you have a FF sensor and a subject larger than 36x24mm you cant shoot it all!

You will need a good light setup also for 1:1 or closer.

Tubes on a standard macro lens get you about 2:1

Sep 07, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

FuFuFotto wrote:
I am not sure about the purpose of these two lens.

Then you should visit the Macro Forum to see what others are using.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/45

Sep 07, 2013 at 08:23 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

Both macro lenses fulfill different needs. The MP-E lens is recommended for very small subjects like tiny ants and hairy leaves. You definitely need to invest in a good flash with off-camera cord or twin flash when using this lens.
For jewelries, the 100/2.8 is the better choice. Often you won't need 1:1 magnification here, maybe a bit less. Also consider buying a set of Kenko extension tubes to increase the magnification with this lens.

Sep 07, 2013 at 08:58 PM
FuFuFotto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

Thanks all. Let me learn more about micro shooting to decide which lens will best suit my need.

Sep 07, 2013 at 09:27 PM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

Have you considered the TSE 90mm.

Sep 07, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

This is quite inspiring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60

Sep 08, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

Excellent video Paul, thanks for posting the reference.

Sep 08, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JB Goessman
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

+1 on that video. Once the OP has decided on system I'd recommend perusing the used gear section. I've picked up all of my macro equipment there.

Sep 08, 2013 at 01:47 AM
Flowernut

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

I you are using a full frame camera, I would recommend a 180mm macro over the 100mm to give yourself greater working distance a real plus in macro photography.

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:56 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

Flowernut wrote:
I you are using a full frame camera, I would recommend a 180mm macro over the 100mm to give yourself greater working distance a real plus in macro photography.

His profile indicates he has a 7D.

Sep 08, 2013 at 04:16 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

Imagemaster wrote:
His profile indicates he has a 7D.

Even given that, it's hard to recommend such a long macro lens without stabilization. Even the 100L is rough if you turn of the IS. Of course, Sigma has a 180/2.8 OS, but it ain't cheap or light .

Sep 08, 2013 at 04:20 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

If he is lighting the subject then stabilisation doesnt really come into it much right?

IMO your not going to shoot many decent hand held macro without lighting.

Jewellery can be done on tripod.

You may need to look at focus stacking too (which the 90tse can avoid at times)

Sep 08, 2013 at 04:26 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

Sure- but casual macro? Hand-held? Even with decent light, IS helps. I agree that a fully-dedicated macro setup would dispense with it, but if you're missing any part of that or can't employ it, IS is imminently useful.

Sep 08, 2013 at 04:33 AM
monkeyhand

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

If you buy the 65mm make sure you buy a set of good focusing rails (Novoflex) for fine focus adjustments. It also helps if you plan to focus stack several images due to shallow DOF. I use the rails with a 100 mm Macro too esp. if I tack on a few extension tubes. If you plan to work from a tripod I'd buy the focusing rails, extension tubes, and the normal 100mm macro over the 100mm L. I also use the Manfrotto Geared Head for fine adjustment of the entire assembly in the other directions. If you plan to handhold it, get a macro ring flash and some sort of medication that will keep you steady.

Sep 08, 2013 at 04:37 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

FuFuFotto wrote:
Thanks all. Let me learn more about micro shooting to decide which lens will best suit my need.

Hi FuFuFotto,

Methinks this (your above idea) is the wisest approach. Best to know what other folks have been doing (read: what gear they've been using) when starting out on a new endeavor. Doing that homework will give you a better idea of which lenses (in this case) will yield the results you're currently imagining/desiring.

When it comes time to narrowing down your choices be sure to keep your "lens brand" options open. Canon's "macro" lenses are not the final word when it comes to close-up imaging, the Sigma 105mm and 150mm are "stoopid sharp" (to quote a friend of mine, ) and should get your considerations (that those focal lengths best suit your needs). I shoot with their 150mm non-OS and can attest! Also, IS/OS is not a deal-breaker to great imaging either, IMHO, and searching out some of the non-image stabilized lenses will save you some coin if being budget conscious is important. Like JB Goessman, above, I rescued some unloved "macro/closeup" gear for my needs off the B&S...which helped lower my entry-costs.

Anyhoo, best of luck with your research, please do keep us updated on how things went!

Jimmy G

Sep 08, 2013 at 01:47 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

+1 to Jimmy G. I and the Canon 180mm macro and replaced it with the Sigma 150. I found the Sigma to be sharper and held focus better.

As for the MPE as others have noted, you are entering a whole new universe. The learning curve is steep and frankly without rails and specialized flash you won't get maximum benefit from the MPE. Having said all that, I still lust after one, but the total capital outlay is beyond what I can justify given that the market for macro shoots is vanishingly small and there just isn't any "mad" money around these days.

Robert

Sep 08, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Flowernut

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro?

I'll remember to check the profile in the future.

In macro photography, I've not found IS that important. If I'm doing flowers or other static subjects, I always use a tripod. If insects, I generally use flash which effectively gives me a very high shutter speed. Having additional working distance (keep from scaring butterflies/small critters or cleaning up backgrounds by limiting how much background is included with the narrow angle of view of a longer lens or additional space for working with reflectors/flash or easier camera positioning in that if you are 2 ft away moving the camera an inch or two makes less compositional change than if you are 6 inches away) is always a plus. It is only when you cannot physically back up far enough that a shorter lens comes in handy. I've found over a lifetime of doing this that for me 200mm+/- on a full frame camera is best for general use. The sharpest macro setup I ever had was a 150mm Schneider enlarging lens on the nikon PB-4 (kind of dates me I guess). The 100mm macro on a 7d would produce the same effective focal length. On occasions, I've used a 300mm f4L (straight or with 1.4x) or multipliers on the 180mm to get even more working distance (prairies and other large spaces where the background is a long way away or where I would have to step on something to get closer the cardinal rule being no photograph is worth damaging other plants).

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:10 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password