Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · please help my iMac, please!

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · please help my iMac, please!

My 21.5-inch, Mid 2011, Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3,Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB, Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55), is having issues lately!
The first of the few would be slowness, and freezing, plus a random stop script that seems to be the root of all evil, freezes! The worst thing I did, was a hard rest power button down, and when it restarted I saw that which I have photographed, to show, and tell, my concerns!
I have also tried a ram reset by holding down the option, P, and R, to no avail! My skills are very limited, and my choice of OSX, may not be suitable for many, but this is not the problem, regardless of how an individual feels, so please, lambast me if you may, but also, I beg of thee, to offer words of aid, as well, please! Thank you kindly, much regards, Americo.rodriguez! -Happy photography!

help my imac please by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Sep 07, 2013 at 11:31 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · please help my iMac, please!

go to www.alsoft.com, follow their directions. Hopefully you've got a bootable backup drive. Boot from it, wipe your iMac's hard drive clean, reinstall your system from the backup, AFTER you have used DW to make sure that your backup directories, files, etc are squared away.

Sep 07, 2013 at 11:53 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · please help my iMac, please!

i dont think i have any form of back up! Thank yoiu for these tips, ill see what i can do, ASAP!

Sep 07, 2013 at 12:15 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · please help my iMac, please!

It's always worth a try, assuming that you've run Disk Utility, to get DW anyway and put it in your MBP, reboot from DW - it takes FOREVER to reboot - just let it run its course. Then when you've rebooted into DW, run the repair from there. If you're HD is screwed up, it will likely come back with the message that it's screwed up; otherwise, it will come back with replacement directory that you choose and then when it's finished with installing the replacement directory, you can then reboot into your OSX on your iMac. Worth a try.

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:04 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · please help my iMac, please!

anthonysemone wrote:
It's always worth a try, assuming that you've run Disk Utility, to get DW anyway and put it in your MBP, reboot from DW - it takes FOREVER to reboot - just let it run its course. Then when you've rebooted into DW, run the repair from there. If you're HD is screwed up, it will likely come back with the message that it's screwed up; otherwise, it will come back with replacement directory that you choose and then when it's finished with installing the replacement directory, you can then reboot into your OSX on your iMac. Worth a try.

I think it worked, the Disk Utility option! it seems to be working fine now, with no lag! It said that it cleaned up, or repaired Lord knows what, so, that may have been the issue inflicting my iMac, Thank you!! I kinda have limited abilities, and the old google search, is at times hard to decipher, the infinite answers!

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:26 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · please help my iMac, please!

Excellent I'm not at all skilled relative to some of the folks on this site. My son is an IT guy at UNC and he has told me always to try the Disk Utility first when the crap hits the fan. So, glad it worked for you

Sep 07, 2013 at 02:32 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · please help my iMac, please!

Now BACK UP YOUR HARD DRIVE!!!!

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:56 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · please help my iMac, please!

^^^^ +10

Sep 07, 2013 at 04:19 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · please help my iMac, please!

lara_ckl wrote:
Now BACK UP YOUR HARD DRIVE!!!!

Yes, definitely going to do that ASAP, thank you! I have a 4TB I used to back up my NEF files, from my first back up time, but that was a few months ago, and I haven't performed one since, ugh! Unfortunately the crappy part is, I love cats, so, my cats ate my homework, er, my power plug, and I haven't replaced it yet, ugh! I will search for an alternative one, promptly, as well, but, it seems, troubles come in pairs, and when you are in despair! Grrr.!

Sep 07, 2013 at 07:03 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · please help my iMac, please!

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
i dont think i have any form of back up! Thank yoiu for these tips, ill see what i can do, ASAP!

I should have clarified myself, with this statement, but, I am a bit nutty at times, and feel like people could read my mind! xD I don't have the current state of my computer backed up, and that is a large amount of delious files to be consumed by that pesky apple moth! xD

Sep 07, 2013 at 07:05 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · please help my iMac, please!

Try Time Machine that came with your iMac. No need to get Apple's Time Capsule. Time Machine will work with any external hard drive including Networked drives. A truly "set it, and forget it" solution.

Sep 07, 2013 at 08:12 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · please help my iMac, please!

If you opt for Time Machine you should consider getting Time Machine Editor which allows you to schedule backups once a day instead of every hour. You might also consider using SuperDuper which offers scheduled backups not only of your system but of other drives. I use Time Machine only for my Boot Drive which includes applications and my users folder but keep all my photos and music on separate partitions or hard drives. That keeps Time Machine backups slim and fast. I don't need to backup photos every day, so I schedule those using SuperDuper for each week.

Backing up is CRITICAL since a disk error can result in loss of everything on the drive. Having external drives and backing up automatically is essential for anyone with photographs to preserve. Good luck.

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:55 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.