Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Does this happen to you?

jb1970
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does this happen to you?

Just seen a prospective client. Very nice couple. They said they liked the photographs on my website and the albums I showed them.

We spent some time working out different package costs and variations etc, then they proceed to show me other photographers websites on their phone and ask if I could edit pictures in this style or that style. Black and white with splashes of colour etc. Also ask to see any non wedding work I've got that I've had to do a lot of photoshop work on.

I'm guessing they must be tyre kicking and I just happen to be in budget.

Sep 07, 2013 at 09:41 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does this happen to you?

jb1970 wrote:

Not necessarily, no. I don't think this is an entirely natural conclusion, but hard to gauge without knowing more.

If they look at/show you terrible processing it's your job to educate them.

EDIT: Saying that, looking at your prices it wouldn't surprise me if they're shopping around for the cheapest and just trying to get whoever they choose to do whatever they want, be it something strange like selective colour (or whatever you want to call it). Your prices are some of the lowest I've ever seen, so don't be surprised if people by inquiries.

jb1970 wrote:
We spent some time working out different package costs and variations etc, .

I'm also curious about this, given that your state your packages on your website. There shouldn't be much time spent here at all.

Sep 07, 2013 at 10:00 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does this happen to you?

jb1970 wrote:
they proceed to show me other photographers websites on their phone and ask if I could edit pictures in this style or that style. Black and white with splashes of colour etc. Also ask to see any non wedding work I've got that I've had to do a lot of photoshop work on.

is this the kind of work that you do? is it work you are willing to do? are you searching for an 'ideal client' or do you take 'all comers'?

i think it would be beneficial for you to answer these questions before you have another consult. i know for me, the things they asked/said would be a sign that our visions are not aligned and that another photographer would suit them better.

Sep 07, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does this happen to you?

Haven't had that happen, but if it did I would tell them that the work in my port and on my blog is very representative of what I do and what they could expect as my client.

Sep 07, 2013 at 10:47 AM
jb1970
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does this happen to you?

ricardovaste - I probably should have said spent a little time looking at packages. I didn't mean it to read as a moan that we spent a lot of time looking at packages. It was more a case of going through album choices and costs. I consider myself cheap but there are others cheaper than me. I'm at my bottom line now - if people don't want to pay that then I'll find something else to do. I do see your point with the editing but don't think you can educate taste differences.

Canerino - It's not normally the type of work I would do. I've always thought I would stick to how I like to do things - but as a business I am wondering if perhaps I should be more flexible to help survive the hard times. But then, as you point out if your visions aren't aligned from the start then it might be asking for trouble.

Mitch W - Yes, that was my first thought. Then I thought about my bills and whether I could make it work (which leans onto Canerino's point).

It just seemed a bit odd as I'm sure there are others out there who use some of the editing methods they mentioned at around the same price as me (or maybe they just haven't found them yet).

Sep 07, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does this happen to you?

I'd tell them to jog on in the nicest possible way. You pay for me you get me.

Sep 07, 2013 at 12:52 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does this happen to you?

I've only had this happen once. I think it all depends on what they are asking you to look at. Is it similar to what you do? Is it completely different than what you do? Is it processing that will become "dated" very fast? All these things matter.

If it's similar to what you do, then I'd question myself on what the client sees in the other photographer's work that may be missing in mine. Is it really processing related, or is it composition and other things? Is it something I want to adjust in my own product? If so, why?

If it's completely different than what you do, then is it something that you are willing to do? Some photographers will do things upon request. Some will not. Sometimes the answer may be, "sure, I can do that for you." And other times it may be, "maybe you should contact that photographer, as that is not something I do or offer." In this regard, only you know the answer.

If it's "the flavor of the month" processing (your "Black and white with splashes of colour" elude to such), then it's time for discussion and education. Simply start off with asking why the client wishes to achieve that look in their memories. Ask them if it is something they will still look at the same in 5, 10 or even 50 years. Be blunt. Be bold. Remind them what this day is about. Once you've done that and have their answers, refer to the paragraphs above.

Usually when this happens, the client is probably bargain shopping. They've come to you for price, but want a different result that may cost them higher. If you can do it (and want to), don't be afraid to charge a premium for the additional work. If you don't want to do it, don't be afraid to tell them they should probably hire the other photographer. The flip side to this is, maybe they like your shooting and style better, but want that ridiculous processing that will be dated in 8 hours. Again; educate!

The bottom line is to determine why you are being asked to look at other work, validate those reasons, then handle it how YOU wish to handle it.

Since I've only had it happen once in about 6 years, I'd say you need to consider your pre-qualification process. Maybe it's time to raise your rates? I would just suggest considering re-branding and a website update first. All this can help you weed this type of client out. (if you wish to)

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:05 PM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does this happen to you?

I had similar meeting a week or two ago. They asked millions questions. We went through prices and albums and details of their wedding day. When going over albums they started to ask about different designs which would incorporate flower motives, crooked photos and selective colors. Red flag went up right away, and told them that our style is more modern and clean and elegant. They caught the drift and we said good-byes.

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:54 PM
jb1970
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does this happen to you?

ammonline - thanks for your reply - makes a lot of sense.

G-Gore - like you style!

Sep 07, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does this happen to you?

A useful line, when someone asks about flower motifs and crooked photo layouts in albums, and selective color and other silly processing, is something along the lines of, "I would never do that to you. I don't use techniques associated with amateur photography like those -- it would be bad for my clients and for my brand."

Some clients who ask about those things can be jolted to their senses by this sort of reaction, and the relationship can continue profitably for both parties.

Sep 07, 2013 at 04:45 PM
jb1970
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does this happen to you?

Ian Ivey wrote:
A useful line, when someone asks about flower motifs and crooked photo layouts in albums, and selective color and other silly processing, is something along the lines of, "I would never do that to you. I don't use techniques associated with amateur photography like those -- it would be bad for my clients and for my brand."

Some clients who ask about those things can be jolted to their senses by this sort of reaction, and the relationship can continue profitably for both parties.

I can see how that might do the trick. I will be somewhat more prepared if there is a second meeting. I was caught slightly flat footed because one of my biggest weaknesses is to say yes first before thinking it through properly (when it comes to paid work).

Sep 07, 2013 at 05:26 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does this happen to you?

jb1970 wrote:
ricardovaste - I probably should have said spent a little time looking at packages. I didn't mean it to read as a moan that we spent a lot of time looking at packages. It was more a case of going through album choices and costs. I consider myself cheap but there are others cheaper than me. I'm at my bottom line now - if people don't want to pay that then I'll find something else to do. I do see your point with the editing but don't think you can educate taste differences.

Hey Paul, no I didn't take it as a "moan". What I meant was that if your packages are on the website, and easy to distinguish and understand, it should be a matter of "Yes, XYZ" is perfect for us. But if there was a long discussion, it would make me want to re-evaluate this if that happens with any frequency of course. If not, they could well have just been trying to rattle you down on the price.

True, I'm not sure you can educate taste differences that well. It depends on how much you want/need the work though. It can be something terrible simple as saying "No, this won't work because XYZ". And you'll get a "Sure, I can see that now". And you both move forward.

I think it's important to know what you need from your clients, as then if there are some small objections you can easily work around them. If it's something which clashes with your own requirements, then you can disregard them and move on.

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:39 AM
jb1970
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does this happen to you?

ricardovaste wrote:
Hey Paul, no I didn't take it as a "moan". What I meant was that if your packages are on the website, and easy to distinguish and understand, it should be a matter of "Yes, XYZ" is perfect for us. But if there was a long discussion, it would make me want to re-evaluate this if that happens with any frequency of course. If not, they could well have just been trying to rattle you down on the price.

True, I'm not sure you can educate taste differences that well. It depends on how much you want/need the work though. It
...Show more

Hiya, thanks for your thoughts. I think you're right regarding the difference of opinion. No harm in pointing out how certain methods of processing can become dated etc. If I'm honest, I could do with all the work I can get at the moment - which may push me in directions I'm not keen on.

The danger then of course is an end result of losing any kind of identity by trying to be all things to all people. The ideal for me would be a strong enough brand image that people come to me because that's what they want and aren't worried that I'm not the cheapest.

Sep 08, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does this happen to you?

Whoa.... cool your jets son. Perhaps the couple has trouble describing photo styles that they like. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
Don't be so quick to raise shields captain. Listen and try to gather what it is that the couple wants to convey.

Your portfolio should portray your style of photography to attract like minded clientele. Else you have not done a good enough job to showcase your photography style.

Sep 08, 2013 at 01:36 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does this happen to you?

jb1970 wrote:
they proceed to show me other photographers websites on their phone and ask if I could edit pictures in this style or that style

Never had them show me any pictures at the initial consultation. I don't recall that I've ever even had them bring up any other photographers or photography styles that they like.

(One time the above did happen but this was after I had been hired.)

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.