Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Filter Vignetting on 5D2 with 17-40mm Lens

el raymundo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Filter Vignetting on 5D2 with 17-40mm Lens

Hi folks,

I have the 5D2 and need to know if a polarizing filter will cause vignetting when shooting at 17mm with the Canon 17-40mm lens. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here are the details:

Camera: 5D2
Lens: EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens
Filter: Singh-Ray 77mm LB Warming Circular Polarizer Filter vs. Singh-Ray 77mm LB Warming Circular Polarizer Thin Mount Filter

Some other info:
- I do not have a UV or skylight filter on the lens, so there will be no filter stacking.
- I bought the Singh-Ray 77mm LB Warming Circular Polarizer Thin Mount Filter and found that the lens cap will not stay on. This, for me, is an issue.
- I will probably shoot using the full range of apertures, from F4 to F16.
- If there is a reliable lens cap solution that will work with the slim filter I own, then I'm all ears.

Thanks everyone!

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Filter Vignetting on 5D2 with 17-40mm Lens

I know with a thin filter you will not get vignetting, and I'm sure I read you would with a normal polarizer, which is why I went for the thin version.

The Hoya HD(2) slim polarizer allows the use of lens cap as does the Kenko Zeta EX; both are very good and are the the new HD type filter which allow through 2/3 stop more light than standard polarizers. Also much cheaper than the likes of B+W, Heliopan.

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:52 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Filter Vignetting on 5D2 with 17-40mm Lens

I use an older normal Hoya Pro 1 HMC polarizing filter on my 17-40/5D2 and there is no vignetting whatsoever. It has front filter threads and my caps work fine. Normal Hoya rims are thinner than some other makes like B&W. Realize the 17-40 has a small front element with a really wide plastic spacer around the outer diameter, so it's not as sensitive to rim thickness as some ultra wide zooms.

Sep 07, 2013 at 05:16 PM
halse
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Filter Vignetting on 5D2 with 17-40mm Lens

I have a newish B+W and it works fine with this combination.
The lens correction in LR for the 17-40 works quite well with/without polarizer.

Why the warming polarizer? Can do in post pretty easily.

Sep 08, 2013 at 01:54 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Filter Vignetting on 5D2 with 17-40mm Lens

If you accidentally screw it on over a UV filter (uum, cough), it will...

Sep 08, 2013 at 01:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Filter Vignetting on 5D2 with 17-40mm Lens

GC5 wrote:
If you accidentally screw it on over a UV filter (uum, cough), it will...

As I recall, Hoya riding Hoya, vignette is gone by 20 or 21mm. Not the best technique but sometimes a few seconds can really count.

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:20 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Filter Vignetting on 5D2 with 17-40mm Lens

Gochugogi wrote:
As I recall, Hoya riding Hoya, vignette is gone by 20 or 21mm. Not the best technique but sometimes a few seconds can really count.

That was about right. Took me a while to realize I had done it though, and while I was losing light, I can't really blame urgency...

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:33 AM
el raymundo

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Filter Vignetting on 5D2 with 17-40mm Lens

Thanks for taking the time to respond, folks. That's good info there.

I managed to get my hands on a standard-thickness polarizer and try it out on the 17-40 shot at 17mm. There was some very mild vignetting at 4.0, but it was pretty much completely gone when stopped down to 8.0 through 22. Even at 5.0 and 5.6 the darkness on the corners was very, very mild. So I've decided to return the slim polarizer and get the standard-thickness.

I also did a little more research on the question about why I chose a warming filter and I've decided to go with a neutral polarizer - mostly for two reasons: 1) as mentioned, color tone changes are easily achieved in post-processing and 2) what happens when I want to shoot a "cool" scene and all I have is a warming polarizer? So I decided to go with the neutral.

Thanks again for the responses and the insights!

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Filter Vignetting on 5D2 with 17-40mm Lens

The newest style of B+W polarizers are thin, but still have front threads to allow normal lens cap use. Check out B+W XS Pro MrC Nano KSM Circular Polarizer filters, available from the normal places like B&H or 2filter. They are a little expensive, but I believe they are less than Singh-Ray. I am very happy with my 82mm version of this filter, and it is great on the Canon 16-35 f2.8 II.

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password