Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 ...

Michael White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

II like to shoot sports and candid shoots. My current kit is a 7d and 40d. I was looking at the 5 d2 sometime back and were told not to get it wait for a 5d3. Well not to many used 5d3s in my price range. I'm wanting a full frame body soon. So I began looking at the older 1d models and for the $1100 dollar investment which would you go with?

Sep 07, 2013 at 07:22 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

personally id pass on a 1ds2 for a general body . it produces great images (and i really want one) but if you do any hi ISO then your going to want newer .
if a 5D3 is out of your budget (im there also) then a 1Ds3 will probably be as well (im seeing most DS3'saround the same money as used 5D3 bodies here) .
if your budget is enough for a 5D2 then maybe it will stretch to a 6D?

Sep 07, 2013 at 07:27 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
personally id pass on a 1ds2 for a general body . it produces great images (and i really want one) but if you do any hi ISO then your going to want newer .
if a 5D3 is out of your budget (im there also) then a 1Ds3 will probably be as well (im seeing most DS3'saround the same money as used 5D3 bodies here) .

I don't know about a 6D, but I wouldn't recommend a 5D II for sports in general. Yes I know someone will prodcue a great image taken with the 5D II, but compared to say a 1 series or 5D III the % of keepers will always be way lower and you are going to be frustrated with that archaic AF, IMO, for fast action servo work.

If a 5D III is out of reach, get a 1D III, noticeably better camera overall than 7D for fast action - faster to acquire focus, more stable in a burst, ridiculously long battery life. Your main issue will be heavy cropping, but if you are not severely FL limited you get great IQ from it's 10MP.

Sep 07, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

Pixel Perfect wrote:
..get a 1D III, noticeably better camera overall than 7D for fast action - faster to acquire focus, more stable in a burst, ridiculously long battery life. Your main issue will be heavy cropping, but if you are not severely FL limited you get great IQ from it's 10MP.

I'm 50/50 about the 1D3 and 7D - unless you like to shoot video from time to time, then take the 7D.

It's a hard call - wanting FF and shooting sports but not having the budget.

What sports (arena, time of day) and what kind of results are you after?

Sep 07, 2013 at 12:23 PM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #5 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

Michael White wrote:
II like to shoot sports and candid shoots. My current kit is a 7d and 40d. I was looking at the 5 d2 sometime back and were told not to get it wait for a 5d3. Well not to many used 5d3s in my price range. I'm wanting a full frame body soon. So I began looking at the older 1d models and for the $1100 dollar investment which would you go with?

I own both the 5D2 and 5D3. Both are extremely equal as far as image quality goes. What's different is the improved focusing and slightly better high ISO's, fps and a few other bells and whistles. The focusing imho makes the 5D2 almost unsuitable for sports.

I also own the 40D and the 7D and again imho I'd say both the 5D's blow these guys out of the water as far as image quality goes, ymmv. For sports I'd say the 7D is much better at focusing than the 5D2 is.

Roger

Edited on Sep 07, 2013 at 05:42 PM · View previous versions

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:16 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

Yes IQ wise it's

5D3 ~> 5D II >> 7D > 40D

AF wise it's
5D3 > 1D3 > 7D >> 5DII ~= 40D

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:56 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

Ian; I have a 1Ds II for sale now. It is in my opinion better than the 1D III in everything except focus speed. I have photographed all kinds of sports with it and seldom needed 10-12 FPS (whatever the 1D III has). I personally prefer it over everything but the 5D III. If I shot sports professionally I would want the 1DX. Armature shooter, 1DIV. Money tight, 1DsII (I hate the 7D, and yes I have one). If you do not mind working with a marginal noisy camera the 7D is your camera. The only Camera I haven't owned is the 1DsIII, and I would love to take one for a test drive. I am selling the 1DsII as old eyes and manual focus lens prefer live-view. Jim

Sep 07, 2013 at 02:13 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #8 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

The 5D2 and 5D3 are most certainly not equal when it comes to image quality. I was just having this conversation with my buddy who runs a studio in LA, he was shooting a family portrait session and he accidentally grabbed his 5D2 instead of 5D3 and didn't realize it until he opened the pictures up and was like "huh?! What the heck??" Same with me, when I hire an assistant who shoots 5D2, I open the images up and side by side with my 5D3 images there is a very big difference. The color rendition is so magenta with the 5D2 and the shadow noise is crap, I end up having to slide the green/magenta slider way into the green to make it balance with the aesthetically more pleasing 5D3 files. The 5D3 is the it camera right now (since it's cheaper than the 1Dx). It's definitely not perfect, but this camera through LR5 is a powerhouse. Although I've been hearing very good things about the 6D from fellow wedding photogs, this camera is untouchable from my point of view after having dual card slots in the 5D3. Just really really wish they were dual SD slots.

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:05 PM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #9 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

cineski wrote:
The 5D2 and 5D3 are most certainly not equal when it comes to image quality. I was just having this conversation with my buddy who runs a studio in LA, he was shooting a family portrait session and he accidentally grabbed his 5D2 instead of 5D3 and didn't realize it until he opened the pictures up and was like "huh?! What the heck??" Same with me, when I hire an assistant who shoots 5D2, I open the images up and side by side with my 5D3 images there is a very big difference. The color rendition is so magenta with
...Show more

The magenta color cast has in my experience never been a problem with the 5D2. I shoot RAW and convert with DPP, maybe that's the difference, I don't know. No problems with the 5D2 and color casts here.

Both cameras, the 5D2 and the 5D3 produce beautiful files imho.

Roger

Sep 07, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

cineski wrote:
The 5D2 and 5D3 are most certainly not equal when it comes to image quality. I was just having this conversation with my buddy who runs a studio in LA, he was shooting a family portrait session and he accidentally grabbed his 5D2 instead of 5D3 and didn't realize it until he opened the pictures up and was like "huh?! What the heck??" Same with me, when I hire an assistant who shoots 5D2, I open the images up and side by side with my 5D3 images there is a very big difference. The color rendition is so magenta with
...Show more

Maybe it's your particular 5D2 or settings that cause the magenta cast. It's not a common problem and I normally need to add a little magenta to my 5D2 files in Aperture prior to RAW conversion. In DPP I rarely need to touch tint. I still have lots of unedited 40D files and I was working on a few yesterday and, man, that camera has a strong magenta shift.

Sep 07, 2013 at 05:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #11 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

cineski wrote:
...Show more

I rented a 5DIII and shot it side-by-side with my 5DII. This was not my experience. I did not see a magenta cast from the 5DII. I shoot in raw, convert with Capture One.

Based upon my rental experience I saw no need (for me) to "upgrade" to the 5DIII.

Sep 07, 2013 at 05:31 PM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #12 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Yes IQ wise it's

5D3 = 5D II >> 7D > 40D

AF wise it's

FTFY

Sep 07, 2013 at 05:49 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #13 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

Well, I have owned and or used Canons 10d, 20d, 40d, 1D2, 1D3, 7D, 5D2 and 5D3 and I have to say that the 5D3 is the first one to have VERY reliable AF performance in all conditions and effective built-in sensor cleaning (a HUGE timesaver!!!). Sounds simple but those two things increase the number of keepers significantly and reduce the time spent preparing images for delivery immensely.

Image quality at high iso and during very long exposures is improved noticeably.

There are also a number of additional features and controls.

Also, having an SD and a CF slot allows the use of Wifi SD card to transmit images but also maintains recording redundancy in camera. (or separate RAW and JPG recording).

Color is also improved a bit and I believe highlight recovery as well.

Low iso shadow detail/recovery is about the same as previous full frame Canon dslr's.

Sep 07, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #14 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

Michael White wrote:

You've already got speed with the 7d. In my opinion, the last thing you want to shoot sports is a 5DII. For great images on portraits, or landscapes, then yes it would be great, Since you have the 7D, and with your budget I agree with "oldrattler". I would grab a 1DSII. Great pictures, Around 16 mp if I am not mistaken and should track well in Servo. probably the only downsides are the older display, and the 2 button awkwardness to do functions. The other option in that price range is a 1DIII , but fewer mp, and not FF. It does however track for sports better than the 7D, is easy to operate and nicer display. than the 1DSII.

Sep 07, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Tony B
• • •
p.1 #15 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Yes IQ wise it's

5D3 ~> 5D II >> 7D > 40D

AF wise it's

+1.
I'd stay with 7D & save for 7DII. By the time it comes out you may be able to afford a lens as well or decided your requirements have changed.
5DIII is a great camera & for me offers more than a 5DII for shooting moving subjects.

Sep 07, 2013 at 09:33 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #16 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

I've had a 5D2. I now have a 5D3 and a 7D.

If money is an issue, I think the 7D is a fantastic choice for sports, especially if it's daytime work (where high ISO is not really necessary).

I still will go to the 7D for BIF (over the 5D3), and find it quite usable at ISO1600 (often necessary, even in sunlight, to get the fast shutter speeds necessary).

The 5D3 is overall a much better camera, but the much higher pixel density of the 7D (not all usable, since the IQ of the 7D isn't up to 5D2/5D3 standards), and the faster burst rate (8fps is noticeably faster than 6fps, and will increase your keeper rate), makes the 7D better for fast action, focal-length-limited situations.

JMO

Mark

Sep 08, 2013 at 01:23 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

Tony B wrote:
+1.
I'd stay with 7D & save for 7DII. By the time it comes out you may be able to afford a lens as well or decided your requirements have changed.
5DIII is a great camera & for me offers more than a 5DII for shooting moving subjects.

1D4

Sep 08, 2013 at 01:52 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #18 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

If the 5d II images were such crap, how come so many award winning photographers created great images with them? I have seen very little hard evidence that the difference between the ii and iii image quality is anything other than trivial.

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:09 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #19 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

jzucker wrote:
If the 5d II images were such crap, how come so many award winning photographers created great images with them? I have seen very little hard evidence that the difference between the ii and iii image quality is anything other than trivial.

In my tests, AF was the biggest difference. IQ was only marginally improved at higher ISOs. So both cameras have good IQ. Others will point to dual card slots etc...all of which meant nothing to me. As always YMMV.

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:16 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #20 · I've been told that the 5d3 is so much better than a 5d2 but how does it compare to a 1d2or3

galenapass wrote:
I rented a 5DIII and shot it side-by-side with my 5DII. This was not my experience. I did not see a magenta cast from the 5DII. I shoot in raw, convert with Capture One.

Based upon my rental experience I saw no need (for me) to "upgrade" to the 5DIII.

Unlike me, you saved yourself several thousands of dollars! Everyone's different and that's what's great. I always thought I was a bit crazy for disliking the 5D2 so much, but after a few conversations with others of late I don't feel so crazy. But everyone also has very different expectations. I for one feel the cost of the 50 1.2L is most certainly worth it over the 50 1.4. Conversely, I have zero interest in the 70-200 f/2.8L II and instead opted for the 70-200 f/4L IS for different reasons.

Sep 08, 2013 at 02:46 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password