Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

matthewh133
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Congratulations to matthewh133 for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 29 votes - View Previous Winners

Didn't get treated very well by the sky gods on my 9 day trip to Rainier, not to mention the flowers were well past peak.. but I did get this beautiful sunset at Upper Tipsoo. Had me smiling all the way back to the car. Thoughts?

EDIT: Updated with a couple of changes made from suggestions.

4 exposure blend for DR. Tough blend at times with the way the trees extend into the sky, but I think it came out well. I'm still relatively new to working with blends.

Edited on Sep 07, 2013 at 06:36 AM · View previous versions

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:11 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Wow...

I was going to post a sunrise shot of mine, but I don't think I will now. This is epic!
Only very minor thing I would do is remove those small black things in the water.

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:13 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #3 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Thanks Justin! You should definitely post the sunrise shot. I wish I could have got a sunrise shot from Tipsoo but unfortunately after this I didn't see anything but clouds for 4 days straight.

I wasn't sure about the logs, I was going to clone them out but couldn't decide. May do that.

Edited on Sep 07, 2013 at 01:21 AM · View previous versions

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:16 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Perfect shot! looks great. Has an awesome painterly quality to it.

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:16 AM
ValerieMillett

p.1 #5 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Brilliant comp. and color!!

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:17 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #6 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Hmm just opened this up on the iPad and the Galaxy S4 and it doesn't look anything like I have on my Dell ultrasharp PC screen. Since I've started using Tony Kuypers package I seem to be having some calibration issues.. weird.

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:28 AM
Steve Dublanko

p.1 #7 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Wow, beautiful shot Matt. I love the colors and your processing is very nice. I was going to say I agree with Justin but on second thought I think I could go either way. Removing the logs would make it look more perfect but I kinda like the imperfection if that makes any sense. Well done!

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:44 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Hey Matthew,

What a cool shot! You really got some beautiful color to shoot. I think cloning out those bits of logs would be a good idea, they do distract a bit.

Jim

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:48 AM
Jfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Really nice feel to the shot. Nice work.
Jon

Sep 07, 2013 at 02:28 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #10 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

JimFox wrote:
Hey Matthew,

What a cool shot! You really got some beautiful color to shoot. I think cloning out those bits of logs would be a good idea, they do distract a bit.

Jim

Thanks all. Still not sure if what you guys are seeing is what I'm seeing colour wise with these calibration issues. I hope so! I seem to be missing the vibrant pinks and glow when viewing it on my iPad. It seems most people think removing the log would be a good idea so I will do that on the final edit.

Sep 07, 2013 at 02:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Really quite outstanding, in all respects, Matthew.

Bob

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:09 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #12 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

matthewh133 wrote:
Thanks all. Still not sure if what you guys are seeing is what I'm seeing colour wise with these calibration issues. I hope so! I seem to be missing the vibrant pinks and glow when viewing it on my iPad. It seems most people think removing the log would be a good idea so I will do that on the final edit.

For me (using safari)

Calibrated Monitor - Perfect vibrant colours and nice shadow detail
Uncalibrated stock iMac monitor settings - Tad more saturation (but still nice), almost black shadows
iPhone - Much less colour, and almost to much shadow detail.

Pick your poison buddy. This is essentially the same way I see my own images too. Still looks good all around though. Hopefully this doesn't turn the thread into another monitor calibration discussion :S

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:15 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #13 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Justin Grimm wrote:
For me

Calibrated Monitor - Perfect vibrant colours and nice shadow detail
Uncalibrated stock iMac monitor settings - Tad more saturation (but still nice), almost black shadows
iPhone - Less colour, and lots of shadow detail.

Pick your poison buddy. This is essentially the same way I see my own images too. Still looks good all around though. Hopefully this doesn't turn the thread into another monitor calibration discussion :S

Thanks for that Justin. Yeah I'm on a calibrated monitor too and it looks great.. well to my eyes anyway. I wanted to keep a little bit of shadow around to keep it feeling a little more realistic and I thought the darkness contrasted well with the incredibly bright sky. Can't wait to print this up big

Can't wait till the next trip!

bktools wrote:
Really quite outstanding, in all respects, Matthew.

Bob

Thanks Bob!

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:18 AM
D. von Briesen
• • •
p.1 #14 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

nine days of waiting thru weather, the good sense to capture this in multiple exposures, a wonderfully balanced composition, & a deft hand at processing (amazing for being relatively new to blending!) . . .

I would hardly call that luck. as david milch says, "visions come to prepared spirits."

an extraordinary image,

although I would have left the small sticks in the surface. gave it character, an additional stopping point of interest for the eye, the small silhouettes providing an evocative & almost human counterpoint to the hallelujah chorus playing majestically throughout the rest of the image. kept it from being too perfect. just the slightest imperfection made it even more delightful.

an image to be proud of for life!!!

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:31 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #15 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

D. von Briesen wrote:
nine days of waiting thru weather, the good sense to capture this in multiple exposures, a wonderfully balanced composition, & a deft hand at processing (amazing for being relatively new to blending!) . . .

I would hardly call that luck. as david milch says, "visions come to prepared spirits."

an extraordinary image,

although I would have left the small sticks in the surface. gave it character, an additional stopping point of interest for the eye, the small silhouettes providing an evocative & almost human counterpoint to the hallelujah chorus playing majestically throughout the rest of the image.
...Show more
I like that quote, I'll keep it locked in the memory bank. Thanks a lot for the comments I'll most definitely play around with those logs. I'm sure I'll switch my view multiple times before printing it up lol.

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:46 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

this is very nice

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:57 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #17 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

What awesome trees. Great sunset and mountain, but the dark trees make it. Great shot.

Sep 07, 2013 at 04:06 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Awesome!

Sep 07, 2013 at 04:08 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #19 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

I would be grinning from ear to ear after capturing a scene like this. Beautifully done!

Sep 07, 2013 at 04:52 AM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #20 · Lucky at Tipsoo Lake, Mount Rainier.

Seems like you got a winner from your trip Matthew. Sucks that you didn't get the rainier shot you wanted, but this one is no slouch either! It's a gorgeous photo!

Jason

Sep 07, 2013 at 05:33 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password