Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

Hi guys , its been a while since I've used LR on more than one machine , and that was with LR4

Anyway I used to have a laptop with LR4 on and from my main desktop machine I would just export images as a catalog and import them into the laptop , so I could do basic edits (rate, crop etc) while I was away from home . Then I would export / import as a cat again .

But now I have LR5 I know that smart previews should make things easier . But I'm not sure how to use them on a 2 machine setup .

Also its likely to be a mixed OS setup as my home machin is my IMAC now (I was PC only back when using LR4) and the likely laptop (still to be bought) will probably be a windows machine (I know I really want a MBA but can't justify the price )

So really I'm just looking for some help / advice on how to make things work best .

I'll give an example of the sort of workflow I want:

Lst weekend I shot 3.5k raw files (motor sport) and have managed to import them all into LR5 on the imac .
Now as much as I love sitting in front of that lovely 27inch screen there are lots of other things SWMBO'ed wasnts me to be doing . But there's always time when I could be spending 5-20mins with a laptop (you know sat waiting to collect kids, break times at work etc) . When I could be doing the quick culling of the images and Starr rating the good ones (not that there's ever many)

Now at the moment I'm trying to do this on be iPad using Photosmith . Don't get me wrong its a fine app , but there are quite few issues with it . It takes ages to export lots of images (over wifi only) , and it does like to crash alot .

I'm looking at moving onto something like the lenovo yoga . SWMBO'ED just got the 13inch version and its a great machine . I'd likely go for te 11 inch

Sep 06, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

I can't help you yet, Ian, but my problem is slightly different in that I use a single computer and want to switch between using external storage at home base and internal storage when I am travelling - but I also want to add new photos while I'm travelling so that the internal storage will have a mix of smart previews and brand new raw files. I don't know how to combine smart previews and new images and sync them all back to the external storage. In the interim I just copy the entire catalog and point it at the different drive, and then copy it back later on.

For editing with a laptop you ought to get one with an IPS screen (e.g. retina MBP rather than any standard MBP) because the non-IPS screens vary too much in colour at different vertical viewing angles. As I look at the top part of my screen I lose dark blues and some brightness compared with looking at same content on the bottom part of the screen, but IPS won't do that to anything like the same extent.

Perhaps if you got she who must be obeyed a camera and got her interested in photography she would be more sympathetic - but I doubt it

- Alan

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

Alan,
yeah I sort of worked something out the other day. exporting and importing seperate catalogues is a non starter .
but having explored how the smart previews are stored its more than possible to copy the LRCAT file and the smart preview file onto a thumb drive and then point LR5 to the LRCAT file on the laptop .

when you get back to your desktop you just overwrite the LRCAT file with the updated one. obviously a safe backup of the LRCAT file is important .

im pretty sure you can import new raw files into the laptop and then when back at the desktop .
I just think you would have to move the RAW files to the proper location.

My quick testing of this worked very well .

now I do get the point about using a Laptop with an IPS screen . but a RMBP is well out of the question . I really cant justify dropping that sort of cash on a laptop .

the tossup is/was between a 11" MBA and an 11" Yoga . I tested the above on my wifes 13" Yoga and it was great . I like the touch tablet aspect of the yoga when its folded up (13" is a tad large for a tablet but the 11" should be ideal) it actually seems to make win8 seem usable . however i came across a big issue when i was doing the LR5 smart preview testing ,and this is more of a LR issue really . LR doesnt let you swipe to get the next image . so a stnadardlappy will be the better option . this brings the MBA back into the equation . and having seen images on the MBA screen it seems more than decent enough considering the only editing I would likely be doing is culling/rating/and cropping .no heavy stuff (heck i bought a 27" imac for taht so ireally should use it for it )

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

Peter Krogh's new multi-catalog workflow e-book covers this territory. Table of Contents looks really good -- haven't taken a deeper dive into the material yet, but his stuff is typically top notch: http://thedambook.com/multi-catalog-workflow-with-lightroom-5/

Sep 14, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

That e-book is a massive 1.6 GB because it includes hours of video tutorials. Not a trivial download. And it only comes in pdf format, so not good for viewing on small devices.

- Alan

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:58 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

Ian, I believe I understand the process you described and I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Regarding the move to next image in Lr, I think there is an optional tool bar that lives beneath the image which has the left and right arrows for moving to the previous and next images. That should work when you don't have a tablet without a keyboard.

- Alan

Edited on Sep 20, 2013 at 02:48 PM · View previous versions

Sep 18, 2013 at 04:10 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

Alan321 wrote:
Ian, I believe I understand the process you described and I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Regarding the move to next image in Lr, I think there is an optional till bar that lives beneath the image which has the left and right arrows for moving to the previous and next images. That should work when you don't have a tablet without a keyboard.

- Alan

Good call Alan I didn't think of that . Although I've just had a look on my mac and I can't find it .
There is the the filmstrip which also has the filter bar . On the right it has the filters and on the left it has the 1-2 screens and an arrow going left and right . But as far as I can see this is a 'go back/forward' option (pressing it takes me back a step . Pressing the forward arrow does nothing unless I've gone back a step or 2) .

But I think I've sort of found an option from your suggestion (don't know why I don't think of it anyway)
I'm using 'smart' collections to do my culling . Ie. I have 3 smart collections :

2013 no picks
2013 picks
2013 regects .

Anything I import that was shot in 2013 is automatically put in the 2013 no picks collection . So if I pick or reject something it gets removed from the collection (and put into one of the others) .
So after looking at your suggestion it hit me that under the image there are the options to pick or rate . I'm pretty sure these will do the trick on the touch screen .
So in a round about wat cheers for that suggestion

Maybe I didn't think about it because most of the time on my mac I hit the 'F' key and cull thru the images in full screen .
I have it set that if I hit the space bar I go to 1:2 (I don't use 1:1 in the first cull) so in tablet form (if I do get one) I won't have that option . But I don't really see that as a big issue . .

Sep 18, 2013 at 06:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

Ian, it is the "tool bar" that I was thinking of (not the "till" bar that my android spell checker had put in for me), and it is switched on or off with the "T" key. Once on, there is a downward pointing triangle at the right hand end of the tool bar. Press that and there appears a drop box in which you can tick the "Navigate" option. When ticked you will get the left (previous) and right (next) image navigation icons in the tool bar. I turn everything on because it is all useful sooner or later.

I cannot get the tool bar to appear in the full screen mode. There is a nearly full screen mode (probably the old full screen mode before Lr5) that can activate with command-shift-F that lets you use the tool bar, but I have not yet found a menu option to activate it without a keyboard.

- Alan

Sep 20, 2013 at 03:33 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

Cheers Alan , I will have a look .
I know what you mean about the spell checkers . Some of the things my iPad and iPhone checkers change are funny

Sep 20, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

Back to the issue of using smart previews, I think the idea is that your main library of images lives in one place (except for backups) that is connectable to your one and only computer. You create the smart previews and they live in a cache "file" alongside the catalog file and the preview cache. In your case that is all on your iMac but not necessarily all on one drive. Alternatively, it could be on external storage attached to the iMac.

For use on the laptop you would copy your catalog and your smart preview cache to the laptop and open that catalog. Tell it where to find the preview cache on the laptop because you do not want it to use the one on the iMac. You should be good to go. Lr on the laptop will not find any actual image files because it cannot access the storage, but it will let you save edit instructions for the smart previews that can work on.

I think that normally Lr would expect that at some stage you will attach the external storage to your laptop and it will sync the changes from the catalog and also the smart previews back to the main library. However, you are not working that way and so you would need to get out of Lr on both machines and copy your laptop catalog and smart preview cache over to the iMac, replacing the original versions, after after first making suitable backups (in fact, you could have the iMac doing the backups while you are working on the laptop). Then, when you fire up Lr on the iMac it will see the already updated catalog and smart previews and also the mismatch with the previews and acr cache, so it will update its previews and ACR cache by re-editing with the original image files. It would then update its smart previews too.

From there you would have to start all over again for the next loungeroom session - you should not continue using the smart previews already on the laptop because they are now out of date.

I cannot test this myself because I have only one computer to work with.

- Alan

Sep 20, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

yep Alan thats pretty much how ive found it .
again i was only testing as ive not got a lappy yet (still hunting) . but i installed a trial of LR on my work PC .
I copied the LRCAT file and Smart preview file onto a thumb drive and was able to work those files without a hitch .
then when back infront of the main machine I copied the LRCAT and smart preview files back to the folder where they reside on my mac ( first making sure I have a valid good backup) .

and yep all edits are carried over . im not even sure I need to copy the s,mart previews back as the edits reside in the cat file dont they .

I will say it works and is pretty good . Of course as you are dealling with a compressed low res file you dont want to be doing any NR or sharpening on them . The LR Youtube channle says they are a Compressed DNG thats just over 2000 pix wide .

Sep 20, 2013 at 07:11 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

I don't get it.

You know LR has been able to load and edit images from a network drive since like version one right? The only limitation is that it can't load a created catalog from a network location or from ejectable media.

So all ya gotta do is set up a folder (file) synchronizer like chron, unison, or something to sync the .lrcat file between the two, twenty, or whatever number of machines and keep all the images on your network drive. You can even sync up over the internet using a variation on this theme and letting your lan drive through your firewall.

Provisions and steps:
  1. Attach your network drive to your LAN hub and turn it on.
  2. Place all your images on it.
  3. Use any one machine to import the images and build the .lrcat file (if you don't already have one).
  4. Place the .lrcat on the network drive.
  5. Setup and run Unison or whatever on each machine to DL any .lrcat changes since the last access.
  6. Point LR to the downloaded (synchronized) .lrcat and go.
  7. When done or as often as you like sync back upstream the changes from your local .lrcat to the lag-drive .lrcat file.

and of course this last step can be automated/scheduled as well.

Unison is good for this if you don't already have something in mind or an established favorite. It's free, compiled binaries for OS X (PPC and Intel32/64), Windows 32/64, several Linux formats are available, it's very simple to use, it can "update" partial files based on differences, it works over the internet as well as the intranet (your LAN) or across partitions or single volume folders, and it was designed with safe high integrity transfers in mind.

Hehe, I had to look that up - I knew there was a reason I used it but forgot what it was.

Sep 21, 2013 at 05:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

Bifurcator wrote:
I don't get it.

You know LR has been able to load and edit images from a network drive since like version one right? The only limitation is that it can't load a created catalog from a network location or from ejectable media.

So all ya gotta do is set up a folder (file) synchronizer like chron, unison, or something to sync the .lrcat file between the two, twenty, or whatever number of machines and keep all the images on your network drive. You can even sync up over the internet using a variation on this theme and letting your
...Show more

And that helps when I'm sat on a train/aircraft..........., how?
Or indeed at work where the wifi signal gives slower download than dial up sometimes .

Actually I've tried remote access to network storage and with the sort of connections we have here in the uk I've never found then to be usfull .

So yes while in theory what you suggest is fine I really DONT want to have to go sit in Starbucks to sort thru and edit my images .

Sep 21, 2013 at 06:48 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightroom 5 2 machines smart previews advice

Oh...

Sep 21, 2013 at 08:34 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password