Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

jvphotos
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

Warning... this is long, because I over-think everything and like to cover as many angles as possible before i make decisions! Thanks in advance for bearing with me

I've currently got a t3i, a 35f2 is, 24-105 f4 is, and a 10-22. After being in more than a couple situations where it's only convenient to take one lens+body with me, and wishing that my 24-105 was wider or my 10-22 went longer, I decided I probably need to have a full frame camera. I'm thinking of selling my 10-22 and using that money to do so... I've been weighing the 5dc and the 1ds mk ii because they both seem to be awesome, affordable cameras that produce good images. I've read a lot about the pros and cons of each, and I feel like I've got a pretty good feel for them, but one that I haven't figured out relates to longevity.

Specifically... the 5d mk1 is rated for half as many shutter counts as the 1ds mkii. Right now, because of money concerns, I'm kinda leaning toward the 5d and trying to use the money left over to get an 85 1.8 as well. I want to get my kit as 'well rounded' as possible now because the future is very uncertain for me right now and this is probably the last time I spend camera money for a while. I feel like a t3i, 5dc, 35f2 is, 85 1.8, and 24-105 f4 is would be relatively well-rounded for my budget and make it possible for me to do a lot of stuff (maybe not nature shots, but overall I'd have some capabilities indoors etc). HOWEVER, if the a 5dc in good shape is actually going to give me half as much logevity as the 1ds mk ii, then a shutter replacement in the nearer future brings these awful close together in price, and could potentially change my opinion.

Anyway, thoughts on actual shutter life / longevity differences between the two beyond just what a basic google can bring (I've been googling these two a lot lately lol). Is there anything else I"m missing here (maybe the improved sealing on the 1ds mk ii makes it less likely for dust and grime to get inside the more sensitive areas of the camera and gum up the works?).

Or if you have any other thoughts on my choices, please feel free to throw them my way. In terms of what kind of shooting I like to do, well I've done one wedding independently for free for a friend and loved it, and am planning on doing another for a friend in a month or so if possible. I've also got one second-shooting gig coming up with more to follow (hopefully!). But beyond that kind of stuff, I really love candids of people and stupid touristy type shots. I want to be able to take really great pictures of people (not necessarily playing sports, just people being people). I want to be able to do so in as many conditions as possible with as little noise as possible (hence why I ponied up the cash for the 35 f2 IS and would like the 85 1.8 if I can swing it). I enjoy nature shots, but great longer-range lenses are going to have to come further down the pipe. Here's some of my stuff, if you're still awake and not fed up with this post yet lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97296377@N04/

Anyway, thanks in advance for any comments or advice you may have.

Edited on Sep 06, 2013 at 07:28 PM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2013 at 06:40 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

Ok shutter life is difficult .

The rated numbers are only a mean . There is no guarantee any shutter will make it that far . Of course some will just go on an on

Now (and I have no stats to back this up) there are lots of instances if you look around on here and other forums that say their 1Ds2 shutter died well below the rated number . You will see it less now as most users have gone onto later cameras but you used to see lots of threads with dead shutters at 30k 50k etc .
Infact it seemed that 30k was the tipping point . If you got over 30k it seemed you got good life but there were many users that had shutters replaced and got only another 30k .

Bottom line is buy any body in the knowledge that the shutter may crap out at any point . They are both old cameras . I would love a Ds2 though

Sep 06, 2013 at 07:17 PM
jvphotos
• •
p.1 #3 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

Yeah, I knew I forgot a disclaimer about how I knew buying a used camera was a but like buying a used car where you never can be certain about anything. Your post kinda reminds me of how people talked about early first generation neon head gaskets.... If they're going to go they'll likely go by 50k miles or so.

thanks for the input!

Sep 06, 2013 at 07:27 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

sell the t3i, and 10-22 (maybe net 1100?) and get a 6d and a 70-200mm f/4 (2k on the used market)

Sep 06, 2013 at 07:50 PM
AmIgone
• •
p.1 #5 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

Well I have both of them. The 5D has around 50,000 on it. The 1DsII is around 80,000. Neither one has been replaced yet. If the 5D blows today, Id sell it for parts. If the 1DsII went, Id probably have that one replaced if its still covered under my CPS gold with the discount. If money is an issue, Id get the 5D. If you can swing the extra ~300-400 Id go with the 1DsII. Just be aware the screens on both kinda suck. Good for checking the histogram and thats about it.

Sep 06, 2013 at 07:51 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

As we speak we don't know how many within a year old camera out there currently need shutter replacement. Imo, atleast a few from rebel to 1dx. So, it is really hard to say about this failure. I would say: "luck" is the magic word.

Sep 06, 2013 at 07:52 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

The best you can do is get a properly exposed scene shot @ 1/8000 and look for white 'bleeding' on the frame edge as it's an indication of shutter failure starting.

Sep 06, 2013 at 07:54 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

Shutter ratings are based on accelerated failure testing/analysis and don't always work out the same in actual field use. A perfect example is your 1dsII vs 5D. Anecdotally the 1dsII has a disproportionate number of "premature" shutter failures (relative to its rated shutter life) whereas the 5D does not. Speaking more generally I wouldn't necessarily plan a kit around rated/expected shutter life/failures - shutter failures are just too random to know for sure. I would instead just pick whichever camera works best for you and go with it.

Sep 06, 2013 at 08:10 PM
jvphotos
• •
p.1 #9 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

snapsy wrote:
Shutter ratings are based on accelerated failure testing/analysis and don't always work out the same in actual field use. A perfect example is your 1dsII vs 5D. Anecdotally the 1dsII has a disproportionate number of "premature" shutter failures (relative to its rated shutter life) whereas the 5D does not. Speaking more generally I wouldn't necessarily plan a kit around rated/expected shutter life/failures - shutter failures are just too random to know for sure. I would instead just pick whichever camera works best for you and go with it.

I hear you. This is basically what I was thinking, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any big longevity differences between the two simply because they're so evenly matched pro/con-wise (in my ignorant opinion at least?) that the little stuff ends up mattering (whereas if one was just *PHENOMENALLY* better and the same price, this wouldn't even be an issue... I'm basically digging through all the minor possibilities since the decision is nearly too close to call).

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:29 PM
jvphotos
• •
p.1 #10 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

jasonpatrick wrote:
sell the t3i, and 10-22 (maybe net 1100?) and get a 6d and a 70-200mm f/4 (2k on the used market)

If I got 1100 for the T3i and 10-22 I'd still be too far from the 2k to swing it. I thought about this though.... I feel like 1100 is too optimistic for sure... both are in excellent shape but I have a feeling I wouldn't end up with more than 900-950 for both. I might be able to scrape together another 300-350, but that would still leave me short of the goal. I'd be close to 5d ii territory (which would be extremely helpful since I'd really like auto focus and a self cleaning sensor), but I do like the idea of having two bodies (even if one is just a t3i) and the possibility of getting a longer prime would be totally out so I'd end up with a 5d mk2, a 24-105, and a 35 f2 is. Which I guess is still pretty good, but I know I'd miss not having a longer-range prime.

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #11 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

I did something very similar to you. I went from 60D to T2i and 5Dc. FF is awesome. But, and I'm sure you've come across this in your research, the 5Dc and 1DsII are old bodies. They have excellent, excellent sensors, but they're menu system and other newer perks are missing (namely liveview, video, high-res LCD). I believe you dont really have to worry about the shutter's failing on them though, unless you knowingly buy a very high mileage body. The way I see it, shutter replacements are roughly $250-350 and the amount of shots to get there are worth it to me.

An option I would like to recommend is the 15-85mm. It's the EF-s version of the 24-105. I loved it on the crop bodies. Very wide (24mm equiv), very sharp (even wide open), and zooms (135mm equiv.)

A 6D or 5DII are very very nice too.

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:45 PM
jvphotos
• •
p.1 #12 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

Dudewithoutape wrote:
I did something very similar to you. I went from 60D to T2i and 5Dc. FF is awesome. But, and I'm sure you've come across this in your research, the 5Dc and 1DsII are old bodies. They have excellent, excellent sensors, but they're menu system and other newer perks are missing (namely liveview, video, high-res LCD). I believe you dont really have to worry about the shutter's failing on them though, unless you knowingly buy a very high mileage body. The way I see it, shutter replacements are roughly $250-350 and the amount of shots to get there are worth
...Show more

Yeah, I'd love to make the jump to a 6d, I have a feeling I'm going to need to wait until depreciation hits it for a while as I save up though. I thought about the 15-85 too, but I've had this itch to jump into FF somehow for quite a while. I'm not too worried about video or live view... I figure the menus will take some getting used to, as will the lack of auto-iso (that's my biggest concern) but I'm willing to deal if I can get better image quality. I figure the lack of auto iso will be a good learning experience too.... force me to think a lot more about the elements of exposure as I'm taking each picture. Maybe I'm just selling myself on it at this point

Sep 06, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Thouse
• • •
p.1 #13 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

I have both. Bought a used 1DsII that had it's shutter go at 100 000. Shutter was replaced before I bought it and I've put about 27K on in 3 years. My favourite body. I just made a deal for a 5Dc, and it just had it's shutter replaced (cost here in Canada is about $300). I think if you think the shutter will go, you'll always have that worry, even with a body that has an expected life-span of over 200k. For the record, I just got a 5Dc (with new shutter) for $550. My 1DsII was considerably more!!

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:46 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #14 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

I had both... love 5Dc but can't compare to 1Ds2... 1Ds2 shutter sounds better than clunky 5Dc... yup.. I hated that sound..
as others mentioned above... go with what you can afford and don't look back. Longevity is not even a issue.. if it doesn't like you, it will die next day..

/r
Andy

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:04 PM
wilt
• • •
p.1 #15 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

Statistics

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos1dsmkii.htm
http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos5d.htm

Sep 07, 2013 at 05:24 PM
bcguy
• •
p.1 #16 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

Thanks for the info about how much a shutter replacement costs. It's good to know. Compared to the cost of a new 6D, which, if I'm honest with myself, I really don't want; or a new 5D Mk III, it's a bargain! I'm certainly happy enough with my 5DC to replace the shutter when it goes. My 5DC has been a great camera.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Sep 07, 2013 at 08:33 PM
jvphotos
• •
p.1 #17 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

wilt wrote:
Statistics

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos1dsmkii.htm
http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos5d.htm

Thanks for this, I had seen it before but hadn't been sure how serious to take it.

As a quick aside (and because i don't want to start a Ton of new threads), does anyone know how the 5dc would compare to my t3i in terms of focus speed and accuracy (especially in terms of the non-center focus points)? It seems like the focus systems are pretty similar but I have no way to be sure, and since the focus system is one of the big advantages of the 1ds series I'm trying to figure out if I "need" a focus system much better than the 5dc. I don't currently do a ton of moving objects but I like using the non-center points and I hate throw-aways lol who doesn't.

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #18 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

Try renting or borrowing before you commit?

If you find a good price, you can't lose too much (if any, I've made money from CL) from just testing it out and flipping it if you don't like it.

If you're ever out this way, we can go on a day trip around SD and you can test mine out!

Sep 13, 2013 at 02:51 AM
jvphotos
• •
p.1 #19 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

Dudewithoutape wrote:
Try renting or borrowing before you commit?

If you find a good price, you can't lose too much (if any, I've made money from CL) from just testing it out and flipping it if you don't like it.

If you're ever out this way, we can go on a day trip around SD and you can test mine out!

Good point. And if I'm ever in SD I'll take you up on your offer (btw, same offer holds true for you... if you're ever in Columbus I'll let you see how amazing it is to shoot with a T3i. lulz ).

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:16 AM
FarmerJohn
• •
p.1 #20 · Longevity of 5d mk i and 1ds mk ii (kit advice welcome also)

I have no comments about the 1Ds2 since I don't have one, but I do have similar upgrade experience.

I went from a digital rebel xti and 24-105 to a 5Dc. I love the 5Dc, and as many people have noted, the cost can't be beat.
Id be happy to share some samples if you want. The image quality improvement was very noticeable for me, especially the colors. I love having the wider field of view for my 24-105, and the people photos look nicer with the better effective DOF/bokeh of full frame. After a year of owning the 5Dc, the lack of self cleaning sensor has started to annoy me, but the spot removal tool in Lightroom takes care of that. In low light, i only use the center point for AF, but i good light the outer points are fine. I think I will eventually move to a 5d2 for the improved features. The advice always seems to be to get a better body (5D2) if you can, but if cost is a concern and you want to add a lens (or a flash for those weddings?) too, then I think you'll be happy with the 5Dc.

Sep 21, 2013 at 01:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password