Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

frank kayser
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

Just picked up my EOS-M as my travel camera.
I also picked up the 22mm, 18-55, and the 11-22.
I wasn't planning to purchase all that glass, especially the 11-22, as I had the Sigma Popeye 12-14 which I love. When I compared size and the ability to travel light, well...GAS.

So I sit here looking at the lenses.
Both zooms approximately same length collapsed.
All three lenses ~2.3" barrel diameter

Now, would you think the lenses would use the same size filter?
How about the two zooms?

Well, you'd be mistaken, my friends.

The 22 uses a 43mm filter.
the 18-55 uses a 52mm filter
The 11-22 uses a 55mm filter.

Mind you the same barrel diameter. Why not a 55mm for all?

Granted, filters these days are largely passe...
but some of us like polarizers, still.

A 55mm polarizer, and two step-up rings, please.

Would it have been so tough for Canon to have sized them the same?
Maybe just *a little* communication among the teams? Hmmm?
(sigh)

At least I'll be able to use my Leica M glass via a Photodiox adapter.
Three of the four use the same size filter (no, not the same as any of the EOS-M lenses.)
The 90mm f4 *almost* fully collapses making it roughly the same depth as the 22 (both mounted)
Also got the thumb grip from Photodiox. Big difference for stability.

Pass the cheese. Despite the whine, I'm happy.

p.s. Canon Rumors says two new M cameras [CR2] are close to announcement, plus a new lens. One is rumored to have an EVF. I'm stoked.

Sep 06, 2013 at 03:00 PM
gocolts
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

Where'd you get the 11-22? I've been thinking about buying one actually...

Sep 06, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

I just finishing hiking with my eos-m and the same lens. I am experimenting with light weight.

I struggled with cp for the same reason you mentioned and decided to buy one for the 18-55 since 11-22 might yield differences in CP by area of the sky at 11. What I discovered yesterday is that the CP is hard to set with the live view on the side of a mountain while you are juggling your life, your tripod, and your new lens. Make sure you figure out the polarize settings and mark it before heading out.

The other thing you will shortly realize, for landscape,
11-22, 22, and 18-55 have big overlap. Best to stick with 11-22 and 18-55 to avoid juggling.
the eos-m does not have a good remote shutter release. The only one available has to be shot from the front (with 2 second delay).
the eos-m turns off autobracketing whenever you switch lens. Which I can't figure out how to stop
the adapter and leica lens defeats the purpose of eos-m (light/small) so why bother

I really am liking the eosm but it needs some improving. I look forward to eos-m2

Sep 06, 2013 at 07:08 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

I am all over the Canon M system. At the risk of repeating myself, once Canon stops pulling punches with it and goes whole hog, I think it will be the system to beat.

Well, they need to bring their sensor technology forward, too.

I don't think the EVIL/CSC/"mirrorless" (I'm fatigued of that last term) market is necessarily one that it paid to be first, second or even third out of the gate.

Canon is playing a waiting game.

Sep 06, 2013 at 08:43 PM
frank kayser
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

gocolts wrote:
Where'd you get the 11-22? I've been thinking about buying one actually...

Ebay. Found one in Denver, of all places.

Sep 06, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

sirimiri wrote:
...once Canon stops pulling punches with it and goes whole hog, I think it will be the system to beat...

Once M bodies have the responsiveness of a 5D3 and are FF I'm in.

Sep 07, 2013 at 12:09 AM
frank kayser
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

Scott Stoness wrote:
I just finishing hiking with my eos-m and the same lens. I am experimenting with light weight.

I struggled with cp for the same reason you mentioned and decided to buy one for the 18-55 since 11-22 might yield differences in CP by area of the sky at 11. What I discovered yesterday is that the CP is hard to set with the live view on the side of a mountain while you are juggling your life, your tripod, and your new lens. Make sure you figure out the polarize settings and mark it before heading out.

The other thing
...Show more

Yeah, I hear you juggling everything (including your life) on a precipice to adjust the CP at arm's length.
And the camera does need improving. Still, not a bad travel platform as it stands - or even a decent backup to the 1d series.

The 22mm focal length is hat trick covered. The speed of the pancake 22 will be welcome, though.

The Leica M lenses are tiny - 30-something mm filters. The 50 f:2.0 Summicron is, again, a dup focal length - but again, speed - and beautiful wide open. The 90 f:4 Elmar collapsable is a great lens - same physical length as the zooms, but a good reach - and a bit faster. The 135 f:2.8 is a beast (as far as Leica rangefinder lenses go) but again, a beautiful lens. The Leica M to EOS-M adapter is the size of an EOS-M body cap.

Carry them all? Heck no!. I have a "speed" set and a "flex" set. Both light and small.
But for street photography, small, fast lens with a distance scale and no autofocus lag.

Remember, I'm not talking behemoth SLR lenses here - teeny, tiny, rangefinder lenses, 1/2 the size of a juice glass. Wide angle lenses are even smaller - they don't need to be a retrofocus design like an SLR lens has to be.
And quality glass, at that. Did I mention how nice they look?

As far as the electronic quirks - nature of the beast. One person's PITA is another person's lifesaver. Canon never was at the forefront of technology with remote shutter releases. I don't see that changing. Maybe a retro threaded shutter button for an old-fashioned cable release?

When the new "M Pro?" comes out with EVF, it will be a "step back" to fond memories of film rangefinder days - fast, small, discrete, capable cameras - at the eye - coupled with the digital world and a decent-sized sensor.

Sep 07, 2013 at 12:16 AM
frank kayser
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

Paul Mo wrote:
Once M bodies have the responsiveness of a 5D3 and are FF I'm in.

Speedy it is not. Arm's length use does not help with speedy handling.
FF would be nice, but somehow, I don't think the image circle of the EOS-M lenses will cover FF. Just a guess.
The sensor size really only matters when going wide. and 11 ain't too bad. It's not as if we're starting with a 6mp sensor. Plenty of pixels to enlarge.

WIth improved autofocus and a (hopefully decent) EVF, handling should be quick. Don't sell the "small sensor" short.

Sep 07, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

I have the EF-M 22mm and 18-55mm. I am holding off until Canon tips their hand on the new EF-M bodies before getting the 11-22mm. I don't want to tie to much up in this system until I see where Canon is going with the M. If they offer an attractive body, I will pick it up and continue buying lenses.

I don't agree with the comments above about the M having to perform like a 5DIII to be a valuable tool. At the last event I shot with my 5DIII + 24-70 II, I also shot many images with my M + 22. Surprise, I got a lot of nice shots from the M. In fact some of my favorites from that particular event.

Sep 08, 2013 at 06:57 AM
frank kayser
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

UCSB wrote:
I have the EF-M 22mm and 18-55mm. I am holding off until Canon tips their hand on the new EF-M bodies before getting the 11-22mm. I don't want to tie to much up in this system until I see where Canon is going with the M. If they offer an attractive body, I will pick it up and continue buying lenses.

I don't agree with the comments above about the M having to perform like a 5DIII to be a valuable tool. At the last event I shot with my 5DIII + 24-70 II, I also shot many images with
...Show more

It's a poor carpenter that blames his tools. To mix metaphors, seems like you learned to make good lemonade!

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:48 AM
padmasana

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

frank kayser wrote:
It's a poor carpenter that blames his tools. To mix metaphors, seems like you learned to make good lemonade!

I'm a happy user of all three EF-M lenses as well. The polarizer issue is one that has been bugging me but I haven't done anything about it yet.
I think there is a lot of potential ahead for the EOS M. It's a great little system but please, let's let the 5D3 be the 5D3 and the M be the M -- each has its strengths and (yes) weaknesses.

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:06 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

The complaints about sum up the EOS-M for me. I love it and am using it almost exclusively, but there are a few little bugs to be ironed out that will make it a much more enjoyable camera.

The 3 filter sizes are indeed obnoxious. I rarely use filters these days though, occasionally a polarizer and an ND filter, that's about it.

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:40 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

DXO just completed their ratings on these lenses:

22mm:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Reviews/Canon-EF-M-22mm-f2.0-STM-lens-review-compact-prime-with-high-image-quality

11-22mm:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Reviews/Canon-EF-M-11-22mm-f4-5.6-IS-STM-lens-review-good-all-round-performer

18-55mm:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Camera-Lens-Database/Canon/Canon-EF-M-18-55mm-F35-56-IS-STM/%28camera%29/819

Sep 11, 2013 at 07:25 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

Their scores, I can't quite make out, perhaps I'm reading them incorrectly?

They claim "best at" pretty much wide open on all three lenses, and at the wide end for the zooms?
For example: Best at f=11mm & f/4

While very good at f/2, I stop down the pancake to f/4 to f/5.6 for what I consider the best image quality.

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:21 PM
Claude
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

Very good performance of the 22mm - as expected
Claude

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EOS-M Lens Trio. Same team, anybody?

Just received a notice from Vistek that my EF-M 11-22 has shipped from Canada. It has been on back order for about a month. From reviews I've read the price is good at $399 plus $22 shipping, but it is almost equal to the price of the EOS-M kit with 22mm lens at $299 and the 18-55 at $126 with free shipping.

I really like the M and 22mm lens. Looking forward to trying the 11-22.

Steve

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password