New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · M4/3 mid range zoom

srhphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · M4/3 mid range zoom

I'm looking at adding a mid range zoom to my m4/3 kit. As I'm using Panasonic bodies, I'd like to get a lens fitted with IS that probably restricts me to either:-

P45-150
P45-175
P45-200

Optically, the P45-175 seems to be rated most highly, but it is the most expensive and has the spectre of it's much discussed blurring over mid range shutter speeds hanging over it. Is this still an issue with the newer bodies such as the G6?

The 45-200 is relatively large and has a mixed reputation at the long end.

The P45-150 seems to get some very good user feedback, but on paper is also weak at the long end.

So, I would be grateful for your thoughts, especially from those who are using any of these lenses on Panasonic bodies. I will be using them for stills, not video.

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

Sep 06, 2013 at 08:03 AM
nick53097
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · M4/3 mid range zoom

I had P45-175 with G5, was sharp and fast

Sep 06, 2013 at 08:13 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · M4/3 mid range zoom

I liked the 45-175. I tried two about 6 months apart. The first one I tried was terrible with shutter shock in the mid-range shutter speeds. The second one was pretty much OK. Every once in a while it'd put out a garbage image, but pretty rarely. Overall, good image quality in a VERY compact package.

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Lleuallen
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · M4/3 mid range zoom

I love the 45-175. I have the 35-100 and prefer using the 45-175 when aperture speed is not required. I find the extra focal length useful. Also have the 45-200 but have not used it in a long time.

The double line blurring is a thing of the past with the new bodies. Saw it with the GH2, then there was a software update that eliminated most of that. Nary a trace with the E-M5 and GH3.

It is very lightweight and compact. Handles extremely well. I am not a sharpness freak and have done no comparison tests but I cannot tell which lens took the picture based on sharpness.

Larry

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · M4/3 mid range zoom

It is mitigated in the E-M5 as it has the quietest shutter but not gone especially with some lenses. An electronic first curtain of course would eliminate it but not clear if the new Oly offering will have that option. Anti vib mode
at 1/8 sec does eliminate it but at the cost of responsiveness. No clue how the shutter is with the Gx-7 or Oly e-P5. The P series seemed to have less quiet shutters---therefore probably more shutter shock.
Wish this was reviewed more with the newer bodies.

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/micro-43-shutter-shock-revisited-omd-em.html
http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/pz14-42/index.htm

In the castleman link note that shutter speed effects were much less with the OM-D. Anyone know how this is with the E-P5?

Sep 07, 2013 at 09:43 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.