Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

lilbunny

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

Hello all,

My name is Jen. I was browsing the forum and wished I had come across this thread earlier.( http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1205242/0 ) <- He tried to scam other people

I did a trade involving ijtalbot sometimes late march this year. It was a trade for my 16-35L II and his 50L. We agreed to ship on the same day. Like peakphoto, i relied on his 7 positive feedbacks and trusted him. It took 3 weeks as his address is APO but we remained in contact.

My 16-35 arrived at his place just fine. When I opened my box, there was a big rock. My heart dropped because I realized I had just been scammed for 1200 dollars. I couldn't believe it and didnít' know where to turn. I pmed fred and ijtalbot got banned. He actually messaged me and told me that someone at usps had been tampering with packages and it was a mistake.

I did not file an insurance claim as I did not know any better because I thought only the sender that bought the insurance can file the claim. I kept the box and the rock and took picture of it and accepted it as a loss. For a college student, this was a big painful loss and I felt very hopeless in ever retrieving my money.

Weeks later, ijtalbot contacted me again with a different screen name and apologized for what happened. He then asked me to send the box so that he could file an insurance claim to try to get my money back. At this point, I was desperate and thought what else do I have to lose so I shipped the box and the rock back. He paypalled me the $15 for the shipping cost of the box. Needless to say, I called usps later to find that I shouldn't have done that because I don't have the evidence needed to win the insurance claim on my end.

Fast forward a few weeks after, ijtabot made another name on potn and when i saw he was contacting another member,I warned the member and the day after ijtablot was banned.

IĒve recently found his facebook and was able to match everything up to who he was and was able to confirm that that is his facebook page.
I honestly still don't know what to do and have given up hope on retrieving the lens or my money. However upon tumbling on this thread, I feel that may be someone could help or have any insight on this. Fred is well aware of the situation and I have kept all the pictures, pms, emails and messages. Thank you for reading.

His sns that has been banned.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/member.php?Action=viewprofile&username=ijtalbot] http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/member.php?Action=viewprofile&username=ijtalbot[/url]
BANNED
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/member.php?u=374733
BANNED
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/member.php?Action=viewprofile&username=afafda
BANNED

lilbunny : me (Jen)
ijtalbot :Ian
afafda:Ianís 2nd screen name

To: lilbunny
Date: Mar 23, 2013
Subject: 16-35mm Trade
I have a 50mm 1.2 and a 70-200mm 2.8 non IS I'd be willing to trade straight up.
Would you be interested in either of those?
I can also provide more feedback on ebay under the same name.
-IJTalbot

To: ijtalbot
Date: Mar 24, 2013
Subject: Re: 16-35mm Trade
I have an offer for a 135L that im thinking about. Do give me the details of your 50mm (condition, date code, box, hood, pouch, filter) and any pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jen

Date: Mar 23, 2013
Can I get your email? I'll send you photos when I get home.
If I remember right it's a UW. It's in 9/10 condition. I don't think there's a fault on it, but it's not like I didn't use this beauty. Everything would be included.... box, hood, and pouch. No filter since I like to keep mine, and the 72mm filter size is still good for my drainpipe.
-IJTalbot

got your email. Thanks. the 16_35 is slightly more than the 50l so if you could add 50 cash, we have a deal. well both crossship tomorrow via usps priority with tracking if that works for you.

Enjoy your sunday.

Jen

I suppose I could do that. Do you want me to throw in a check or put cash in the box?
-IJTalbot

paypal gift or cash is fine. if you could get signature confirmation as well and I will do the same for the 16_35. My paypal is lilfaney@gmail.com should you choose to do paypal.

My shipping address

May I have your shipping address?

Jen

I'll just toss in cash in the lens box in the package.
Can I get your full name to address your package =)
Mine is:
Ian Talbot
PSC 2 Box 14805
APO, AE 09012

It's a US address, but since it's an APO you'll be required to fill out a short customs form (should take 2 minutes) and you have to ship USPS. Shipping doesn't cost more than it would to ship anywhere else in the US (and the post office offers special APO flat rate boxes that offer discounted shipping since it's headed to military personnel).

full name is jennifer chan.
Ill fill out a custom form. thanks for your service and its nice working with you ian.
I will ship out tomorrow and provide tracking number.
jen

Not a problem. To be honest I'm working nights right now and Monday is my first day off after working a 40hr 3-day weekend so I'm probably going to sleep through 90% of Monday. I'll be sure to get it in the mail on Tuesday though if you don't mind!

Ok, that's fine. I will ship it out Tuesday as well. Enjoy your day off on Monday!
Thanks!
Jen

Sounds good and fair. Enjoy what's left of your weekend.
I'll have a tracking number for you Tuesday!

Date: Mar 25, 2013
Jen

Date: Mar 26, 2013

Here is your tracking info ian.

9505 5109 0486 3085 4476 96
Jen

Date: Mar 27, 2013

When i copy and pasted the tracking number you provided, it's invalid. Could you please check again?

Thanks
Jen

I just emailed you the insured mail receipt and my customs form from today. They said I could use the number on the left of the receipt to track it. Maybe it's not available yet??
-IJTalbot

It should be up already. I checked the number i sent you and it worked. hmm that's strange. Where are you shipping it from? Keep me updated. Thanks Ian.
Jen

I thought things insured over $200 automatically got tracking. But my tracking # looks totally different from yours and from what I'm used to.
It's shipping from the same post office with the APO box you sent my package to. In my experience I can always track things same day from there.

i did get the email but im confused still. Where are you shipping from? Did you try the tracking number i got you? i have no clue why yours is not working. im getting a bit worried here.
Jen.

I'm shipping from the APO post office here in Germany.
Your tracking number works fine. I think maybe I just don't have tracking. Either way its still insured if it gets lost or damaged. Unfortunately I just won't know when it arrives so please let me know.

ok we'll keep each other updated. Thanks Ian

No problem. I was just hoping sending the picture would help give you piece of mind that it was sent to you and insured.

Have a good night.
Jen

Date: Apr 03, 2013
Just a heads up that the other box I shipped the other day arrived yesterday. You live further away so I imagine you will get it today if you haven't already.
Happy shooting!
-IJTalbot

Date: Apr 04, 2013
you sent two separate boxes? or did you mean the 50L box? I haven't received anything yet. DId you get yours?
Jen

Date: Apr 04, 2013
Message:I was saying I sent someone else a package that day and they just received it.
I think mine is ready for me to pick up today

Date: Apr 22, 2013
Subject: 50 1.2 Trade
This is FM user IJTalbot. I had to make another account after mine was locked out by Fred.
I've recently discovered that someone at my post office may be tampering with packages. I wanted to touch bases with you about our trade since I haven't been able to access my PMs. I'm not too worried about yours since I had it insured, but I wasn't so lucky on two other trades.
Please let me know. My email is IJTalbot@comcast.net.
I hope there weren't any issues and you're enjoying that beautiful lens =)
Thanks!
-IJTalbot

To: afafda
Date: Apr 23, 2013
Subject: Re: 50 1.2 Trade

You know I trusted you since you are in the military and stuff that is why I did not insure it . When you said to do the trade i packaged everything perfectly and sent it off. Thinking that the same would be done for me. I'm just a college student and I took a big loss in sending you that lens. All I got was a big round rock that was sent to me. I still have it in that box that you sent to me. I was shocked that this has happened. I have faith that people are good people but after this has happened I question why did I trade it and not just sell it instead. I wish I had the lens to enjoy , but the harsh reality is that I dont have the lens to enjoy and I'm short on my tuition money. I really do not know what to do, since you insure it maybe you can get some of the money back . I can take pictures and show you how the package came .
Jen

Absolutely! Please do! Send them to IJTalbot@comcast.net. I did not send you a big round rock. Like I said, someone at my post office has been repackaging items. I will fight to get you paid the insurance money. Have you contacted anyone on your own to get it sorted out? I know the postal service usually only accepts one claim for an item, and I'm going to try to make one right now.
-IJTalbot

No, this is the first time this has ever happened to me . I'm usually very careful about buying or selling anything. But like I said i thought it was safe to trade with you. If you can please do that for me that would be greatly appreciated. I'm sending you the pictures now. Start the claim and then keep me posted and see what they can do. The fact that you insured it they should be able to pay you back since that's the point in paying for insured. Please keep me posted. Thanks
Jen

Will do. I'm really sorry that this happened. I wish I'd been able to get to you sooner.
I've created a claim and they will be figuring out what happened. Unfortunately, it may take quite a while. I'll keep my fingers crossed and will let you know what comes of it.

Date: Apr 24, 2013
im just wondering how did you figure out someone at the post office was tampering with the packages? Do you have an idea who it might be and what are you planning to go about it? What happened in two other cases you mentioned?

I had two packages not arrive like they should have. I don't know who it was or anything. Someone is tampering with packages if your lens was swapped for a rock. Sadly, the other two weren't so valuable, and I didn't insure them. =(

Date: Apr 25, 2013
How did you figure out someone was tamering with the packages prior to finding out about my lens was swapped with a rock? Oh and you never answered my question if it was your hand writing on the box and if it was the same box you used?

Because two missing packages is enough to arouse suspicion when I heard they weren't sent where I sent them.
The handwriting is mine. Same box too. The tape is not. I only have clear tape, not the brown.
Having spoken with USPS yesterday about the claim, they said the investigation will likely take a month, but could take as little as a week and as much as a couple months.

Date: May 07, 2013

Any updates regarding the investigation and the claim?

Nothing yet. Still waiting to hear back from them. I haven't forgotten about you
I will give you a shout when they get back to me.

Jen

Date: May 10, 2013
So the post office wants to know if you can package the box/rock up and send it back to me so they can investigate the package. I know you still had it before, but I said I wasn't sure if you still had it. I don't mind paying for the cost of shipping the package if you tell me what it cost.
My address is
Ian Talbot
PSC 2 Box 14805
APO, AE

Date: May 11, 2013
So I sent the package back today through USPS. It was $15 you can paypal it to me lilfaney@gmail.com
you can track it: 9505 5101 3447 3130 5512 24
Also in the form i put packaging , so if whoever tamper with your stuff saw it they won't think its that same rock.
keep me posted, thanks
Jen

Date: May 12, 2013
Ok, thank you! I will do that ASAP when I get a chance. I'm a bit busy at the moment =)

Date: May 14, 2013
I have not received your $15 please send it over.
Also please send me the claim number or the case number

Thanks

Jen
Date: May 13, 2013
I thought I'd sent it last night before I went to bed, but didn't click submit... DOH!
The USPIS reference number is 27310702

i got the fund. Thanks.

Did you file a claim online or via mail? You sent me a number but don't i need to access the USPS account in order to track the progress?

Jen

The USPIS is the US Postal Inspection Service, and they're handling the issue as USPS' investigators.
I'll let you know when I receive the package and give it to them.
-Ian

__________________________________________________________________________________
on POTN

ijtalbot
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbunny
Can you give me the tracking number?

Jen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijtalbot
Not sure... I imagine it must just be taking forever...
It went out the following day inside a bigger box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbunny
Hi ian,

hows it going? Where is my box buddy?

jen

Jen
Apr 23

to Ian

Hi Ian,

You know I trusted you since you are in the military and stuff that is why I did not insure it . When you said to do the trade i packaged everything perfectly and sent it off. Thinking that the same would be done for me. I'm just a college student and I took a big loss in sending you that lens. All I got was a big round rock that was sent to me. I still have it in that box that you sent to me. I was shocked that this has happened. I have faith that people are good people but after this has happened I question why did I trade it and not just sell it instead. I wish I had the lens to enjoy , but the harsh reality is that I dont have the lens to enjoy and I'm short on my tuition money. I really do not know what to do, since you insure it maybe you can get some of the money back . I can take pictures and show you how the package came .

Jen

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Ian Talbot wrote:

Jen
Apr 23

to Ian

Attached are the pictures. Tell me is that your handwriting ? I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this.

Hi Ian,
No, this is the first time this has ever happened to me . I'm usually very careful about buying or selling anything. But like I said i thought it was safe to trade with you. If you can please do that for me that would be greatly appreciated. I'm sending you the pictures now. Start the claim and then keep me posted and see what they can do. The fact that you insured it they should be able to pay you back since that's the point in paying for insured. Please keep me posted. Thanks

Jen

To:lilbunny
Date:Apr 23, 2013
Absolutely! Please do! Send them to IJTalbot@comcast.net. I did not send you a big round rock. Like I said, someone at my post office has been repackaging items. I will fight to get you paid the insurance money. Have you contacted anyone on your own to get it sorted out? I know the postal service usually only accepts one claim for an item, and I'm going to try to make one right now.
-IJTalbot

https://www.facebook.com/Ian.Talbot.Photography

https://www.facebook.com/ijtalbot
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
PICTURES

50L pictures he sent me

Evidence Box

The rock found inside the box

The $15 he paypalled . The e-mail address matches his facebook e-mail

His about page on his professional site . E-mail matches his paypal.

His professional site

His personal site

His about page showing that he is from the airforce

His profile picture

What would you do?

Sep 06, 2013 at 07:13 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

Have you considered contacting his Commanding Officer? Or, the Military Police detachment that provides security for his Base? Or, have you considered, as at least one other person has done with respect to somebody else, and post up on his Facebook account? Blog? Website?

Sep 06, 2013 at 04:08 PM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #3 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

I would tell him in no uncertain terms you are expecting an immediate refund or you are contacting his commanding officer regarding suspected US Mail fraud. The UCMJ (uniform code of military justice) will take care of it from there. Trust me as a military veteran that will have him running scared.

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

Edited on Sep 07, 2013 at 04:19 AM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2013 at 10:03 PM
halie
• • •
p.1 #5 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

I call B.S. on the Air Force Academy. Watch for him to upgrade his professional photography page picture to a 16-35 f/2.8, the 24-105 seems a little lame. I think he's full of crap in all sorts of ways.

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:31 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #6 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

Contact PeakPhoto and get his CO's contact info. Post on his face book page.

PeakPhoto wrote:
Alright so after I threatened to call his CO he immediately paypal'd me the $700. He still claims his innocence so I will not comment either way. He does claim I'm blackmailing him by threatening to call his CO, but I don't agree with that. I see it as giving the opportunity to solve the problem before I take it to the CO.

So I finally can get my 24-105 F/4 before my big trips in May.

Cheers everyone,

Andy

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:48 AM
lilbunny

p.1 #7 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

jim bennett wrote:
I would tell him in no uncertain terms you are expecting an immediate refund or you are contacting his commanding officer regarding suspected US Mail fraud. The UCMJ (uniform code of military justice) will take care of it from there. Trust me as a military veteran that will have him running scared.

Thank you Jim! That piece of information is very helpful. I'm going to contact USPS and UCMJ tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it! :]

Edited on Sep 09, 2013 at 07:37 AM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2013 at 07:34 AM
lilbunny

p.1 #8 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

Wobble wrote:
Contact PeakPhoto and get his CO's contact info. Post on his face book page.

I tried contacting PeakPhoto after I found his thread. But he did not respond to my Pm, so I thought I could get more advice and help if I started my own thread. Thanks for the advice. :]

Sep 09, 2013 at 07:37 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

lilbunny wrote:
Thank you Jim! That piece of information is very helpful. I'm going to contact USPS and UCMJ tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it! :]

FYI, UCMJ is not a place to be contacted. It stands for the "Uniform Code of Military Justice," the codification of law upon which legal charges are brought against service members. If you can find the name and address of this guy's CO, send that person a letter detailing your predicament along with the documentation you have collected together with a post on his FB page, I expect that like PeakPhoto you may well get a favorable resolution.

Sep 09, 2013 at 12:52 PM
lilbunny

p.1 #10 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

anthonysemone wrote:
FYI, UCMJ is not a place to be contacted. It stands for the "Uniform Code of Military Justice," the codification of law upon which legal charges are brought against service members. If you can find the name and address of this guy's CO, send that person a letter detailing your predicament along with the documentation you have collected together with a post on his FB page, I expect that like PeakPhoto you may well get a favorable resolution.

Thank you, that's good to know. I'll try to see if I can find that piece of information. Any ideas? If you do Please let me know thanks!

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

What address did you use in your transactions with him?

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:16 PM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #12 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

anthonysemone wrote:
What address did you use in your transactions with him?

It looks like he listed an APO address at Ramstein, AB Germany above. In which case she could perhaps contact the military police in Ramstein directly. There are some Ramstein numbers here including for the military police:

http://www.gettingaround.net/pages/gateway-tel-ramstein.php

She could even call the Staff Judge Advocate HQ USAFE Staff Judge Advocate DSN: 480-6826 Civilian number: 06371-47-6826

Base Operator DSN: 314-480-1110 or Civilian number: 011-49--6371-47-113

The civilian number from the USA: 011(Intl. Prefix)-49 (Germany country code)- 6371-47 or 46-XXXX

Finally she could contact the AFOSI (air force office of special investigations) at 1-877-246-1453 and ask them who she should contact at Ramstein AB.

Edited on Sep 09, 2013 at 05:49 PM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:39 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

Superb sleuthing, Jim

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:47 PM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #14 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

anthonysemone wrote:
Superb sleuthing, Jim

Why thank you sir!

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:48 PM
lilbunny

p.1 #15 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

jim bennett wrote:
It looks like he listed an APO address at Ramstein, AB Germany above. In which case she could perhaps contact the military police in Ramstein directly. There are some Ramstein numbers here including for the military police:

http://www.gettingaround.net/pages/gateway-tel-ramstein.php

She could even call the Staff Judge Advocate HQ USAFE Staff Judge Advocate DSN: 480-6826 Civilian number: 06371-47-6826

Base Operator DSN: 314-480-1110 or Civilian number: 011-49--6371-47-113

The civilian number from the USA: 011(Intl. Prefix)-49 (Germany country code)- 6371-47 or 46-XXXX

Finally she could contact the AFOSI (air force office of special investigations) at 1-877-246-1453 and ask them who she should contact at Ramstein AB.

Thank you Jim! That is very helpful!! I will definitely try contacting them ! Thanks again ^_^

Sep 09, 2013 at 07:01 PM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #16 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

lilbunny wrote:

Thank you Jim! That is very helpful!! I will definitely try contacting them ! Thanks again ^_^

Good luck and no problem!

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:18 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #17 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

Jen, please keep us updated on your progress.

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:30 PM
zlgragg
• •
p.1 #18 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

Please do keep us posted on your progress.
I believe contacting the military personnel, as mentioned by the others, is the right way to go.

... I was almost in a trade with IJTalbot. I came across PeakPhoto's post, shortly after I declined to ship overseas to him.

Sep 10, 2013 at 04:42 AM
lilbunny

p.1 #19 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

Hey guys ,

So I called the airforce the number (that Jim so kindly provided ) and was able to send in my documents . They said they'll send it over to Germany and if they have any updates they'll update me about it.

I also contacted USPS and will also send in my evidence with them and see if they'll do anything.

I'll keep you guys posted :] thanks for the support !

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:46 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Scammed. Would appreciate any input.

Good for you, Jen. Now... you could think about hitting up his FB page and simply advise him that his "misappropriating your lens" is in the hands of USAF and the USPS and that you will be pursuing criminal charges against him. PeakPhoto apparently had some positive outcome to that move.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password