Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

Looking to use my c-stand fitted with an Avenger boom arm to support my camera for o/h shots of food, etc. The boom arm has a baby pin at the tip, so I am wondering if anyone using a similar system could recommend a camera support plate that would mount to the pin? I've searched online and I don't think I am using the correct terminology to garner the correct results. I do have a manfrotto mount plate, but it's for a junior pin I believe (it slides over the pin, but it shifts to the side when tightened), and instead of getting a baby pin to junior pin adapter, I thought perhaps I'd see if I can find a better mount plate....

Thanks,

Greg

Sep 06, 2013 at 12:28 AM
robn70

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

This may work for what you are looking to do.

Manfrotto Camera Platform

Sep 06, 2013 at 12:33 PM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

How about this one?

Another Manfrotto adapter

Sep 06, 2013 at 12:41 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

rico wrote:
How about this one?

That one has a 3/8" stud, and will mount a tripod head, but won't thread into the 1/4"-20 tripod socket on a camera.

<Chas>

Sep 06, 2013 at 11:39 PM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

Chas, I thought it was the other way around, but here's the 1/4"-20 version:

Yet another Manfrotto adapter

Sep 06, 2013 at 11:49 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

robn70 wrote:
This may work for what you are looking to do.

Manfrotto Camera Platform

That's the one I have, Thanks. I'll have to get a baby to junior adapter to make it fit properly...

Greg

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

rico wrote:
How about this one?

Thanks Rico...that might work. I'm mounting a RRS swiss Arca mount to this, so this might be perfect for what I need!

Greg

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:59 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

cwebster wrote:
That one has a 3/8" stud, and will mount a tripod head, but won't thread into the 1/4"-20 tripod socket on a camera.

<Chas>

Yes, I think the 3/8" mount will work since I am using a RRS Swiss Arca ball head mount that I took off off a ball head I replaced...Thanks so much for the pointer!

Greg

Sep 07, 2013 at 02:00 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

Why not just use the 3/8 inch stud fitting to mount a small to medium ball head on the arm. It should simplify the aiming of the camera considerably. You can set the ball head direction to roughly what you want, and then fine tune with the arm for angle, plus of course move the arm extension or move the whole stand for camera positioning. And keep track of the balance of the rig by adjusting the counterweight amount. You do not want your camera to take a dive on to your product.

Sep 08, 2013 at 04:57 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

Roland W wrote:
Why not just use the 3/8 inch stud fitting to mount a small to medium ball head on the arm. It should simplify the aiming of the camera considerably. You can set the ball head direction to roughly what you want, and then fine tune with the arm for angle, plus of course move the arm extension or move the whole stand for camera positioning. And keep track of the balance of the rig by adjusting the counterweight amount. You do not want your camera to take a dive on to your product.

Thanks. The boom arm has a pin that isn't threaded, so I went with the adapter suggested above that is. Instead of a ballhead, and one more pivot point to make sure is tight, I'll simply mount the ballhead mount plate directly to the adapter, and use the lock nut to make sure it's tight. I'll post a photo of the setup as soon as it arrives, so everyone can see what I am talking about.....

Greg

Sep 09, 2013 at 11:27 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

Here is the adapter mounted to the end of the boom, with the camera mount attached....This actually works really well, and with the counter-weight, is very stable for my purposes....although I will probably get a different mount plate due to the fact that I don't want the secondary locking mechanism (which is why I took it off my ballhead and replaced with one without).....

The nice thing about this set-up is I can use a super clamp on the boom arm with a manfrotto articulating mount arm, to place a speed-light on the subject for macro shots....I'll post another shot of that if anyone is interested...

Anyway, thanks for all the tip and advise!

Greg

Edited on Sep 11, 2013 at 04:58 PM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2013 at 06:08 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera Mount Plate for an Avenger boom

Here is the set up with the flash in place via the Manfrotto Articulating arm mounted to the boom with a super clamp.....anyway, I hope this serves to help others who have been trying to figure out an overhead set up without spending thousands on dedicated camera mount systems.....

Sep 10, 2013 at 06:31 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password