New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Questions for those who have 70D, 18-55 STM and 15-85 IS

Wahoowa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Questions for those who have 70D, 18-55 STM and 15-85 IS

It's a dilemma for someone I know whose plan is to get a 70D with either 18-55 STM (for everything plus video) or 15-85 IS (for still).

Basically, we have seen some sample videos on Youtube that show video panning. It's very very good with no hunt with the 18-55 STM, while it's not smooth at all with a non-STM lens. In fact, I could say it's to the point of unacceptable with a non-STM lens.

Now, panning aside, just like to know how good they compare in general:

- general use for still with live view,
- face tracking with live view, and
- general video use (not panning),

especially with 15-85 IS.

This would be a great help. Thank you in advance.

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Questions for those who have 70D, 18-55 STM and 15-85 IS

I compared the 18-55 STM with the 15-85 on my wife's SL1 at the wide end and found the 18-55 edges much softer. Gave the 18-55 to my brother-in-law as a starter lens. Then I saw the DPR SL1 review comparison of video panning and regretted giving the lens away for just that purpose. The 15-85 is the much better, more useful stills lens. I may get another kit STM, or the 40 pancake without IS. Don't know.

I was hoping the dual element design would allow the 70D to smooth pan on non-STM lenses. Sad to hear and very limiting if it will not.

Sep 05, 2013 at 04:11 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.