Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Katherine

jtsmith
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Katherine

I am liking my little Bowens 200 paired with a 3x4 Aurora soft box, and a RPS reflector for a simple over and under clam shell technique.

Other views may vary...

J T Smith
http://www.supershoots.com
http://www.hitthelodge.com

Edited on Sep 05, 2013 at 07:38 PM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2013 at 07:29 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Katherine

Wow, that is striking!

Sep 05, 2013 at 07:32 PM
gempixel
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Katherine

Outstanding!

Sep 05, 2013 at 07:50 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Katherine

Very nice!

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:25 PM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Katherine

Beautiful shot and subject

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:55 PM
24Peter
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Katherine

One of my favorite lighting setups. Well done

Sep 06, 2013 at 02:48 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Katherine

Love it!

Sep 06, 2013 at 06:11 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Katherine

Very very nice

Sep 06, 2013 at 06:46 AM
Turbohamster

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Katherine

maybe simple.. but its simply stunning

Sep 06, 2013 at 12:48 PM
ronlane
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Katherine

Very nice.

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:22 PM

Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Katherine

I saw jtsmith before I clicked. Then I knew we were in for a treat.

Sep 06, 2013 at 03:08 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Katherine

So, after checking our your links, I know you tutor, but would you be willing to tell me if I am in the ballpark?....the softbox was directly above your model, @ approx, 45 and she was holding the reflector to bounce light back under her chin? Thereby creating the clam shell effect? Thanks. BTW, if I understand what high key lighting is, I think this may be a perfect example......

-Greg

Sep 07, 2013 at 02:45 AM
jtsmith
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Katherine

gregfountain wrote:
So, after checking our your links, I know you tutor, but would you be willing to tell me if I am in the ballpark?....the softbox was directly above your model, @ approx, 45 and she was holding the reflector to bounce light back under her chin? Thereby creating the clam shell effect? Thanks. BTW, if I understand what high key lighting is, I think this may be a perfect example......

-Greg

Of course I will be willing to share. There is a 3x4 soft box pointing in a downward direction and slightly above her head about 4 feet away. Using the modeling lamp I can see the top catch light in her eyes. How I want that to be, I will play with the height.

You have to understand the RPS reflector, which is about 4ft by 4ft. It was on a stand underneath the soft box. It catches the light from the soft box and throws it back up for fill.

RPS reflectors are about 99 dollars from tallyns.com and I absolutely love the two I have. An affordable tool that is very handy with the way it can set up on it's one arm or be mounted to a stand.

J T

Sep 07, 2013 at 02:57 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Katherine

jtsmith wrote:
Of course I will be willing to share. There is a 3x4 soft box pointing in a downward direction and slightly above her head about 4 feet away. Using the modeling lamp I can see the top catch light in her eyes. How I want that to be, I will play with the height.

You have to understand the RPS reflector, which is about 4ft by 4ft. It was on a stand underneath the soft box. It catches the light from the soft box and throws it back up for fill.

RPS reflectors are about 99 dollars from tallyns.com and
...Show more

Thanks JT. I'm wondering if a 22" beauty dish would serve as well as a main light? I have a 36" round reflector, but I think the 48" square model would be advantageous, especially the way you used it here! I appreciate your willingness to share your technique!

-Greg

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:37 AM
Cadaver
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Katherine

What a beautiful "clean" photo!

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:39 AM
jtsmith
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Katherine

Greg, I use the beauty dish the same way. If you want your top catch light to be specular instead of square/rectangle. Here is an example of using the beauty dish on top with a strip dome for fill underneath. I think I posted this a few days ago or one similar of Miranda...there are several clam shell techniques that I use with various fill techniques for underneath.

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:47 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Katherine

Very nice mate

Sep 07, 2013 at 04:07 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Katherine

Thanks JT! I'm doing a shoot next weekend for my wife who is a hair stylist, and she wants some shots of a couple of her models to help her promote her "wedding hair style" on her website. I have a couple of techniques that I planned to use....45 x45 main with side-fill and a strobe on a white BG, so a 4:2:1 ratio, and also a more edgy style with a couple of soft boxes just behind the model and the beauty dish from above, against a darker BG, but this style might work really well for some of the shots she wants. I appreciate you taking the time to explain. Thanks!

-Greg

Sep 07, 2013 at 06:10 AM
StanNJ1

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Katherine

Wow! Your first image is absolutely great. The lighting, exposure, detail, and expression are excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Sep 07, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Jammyn
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Katherine

Outstanding image

Sep 07, 2013 at 11:24 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password