New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lastolite Hilite questions

mrhoni
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lastolite Hilite questions

I have a 6x7 Hilite and a couple questions. I'm lighting it with 2 Canon 600EX flashes.

Does your Hilte stretch taught or do you have creases in the corners?

How close do you put your subject to the background?
I'm still learning how to work with it. I'm putting my subject about 5 feet in front and getting a bit more wrap than I want. I'd like to put the subject even closer to the background (space constraints), but then expect to drop the power on the flashes.

Do you light your Hilite where the full background is clipped or drop power until clipping disappears? If I do that, the creases in the Hilite start to appear and then I'd need to edit out.

http://www.mrhoni-photography.com/photos/i-QPVpQ4M/0/XL/i-QPVpQ4M-XL.jpg

http://www.mrhoni-photography.com/photos/i-TQ7sWcm/0/XL/i-TQ7sWcm-XL.jpg

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:13 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lastolite Hilite questions

I don't own one yet, but got a chance to play with one for several days a couple of years ago.

What I was taught to do was to meter the subject lighting, and then set the HiLite to 1.5 - 2 stops brighter.

If you're getting too much wrap at your subject-to-background distance, though, your only solution may be to use a lower EV and then clean it up in post-processing.

In case you haven't seen it yet, here's a video from Lastolite with Mark Cleghorn on using the HiLite with Speedlites/Speedlights:

At the 14:12 mark, Mark goes into some basic Photoshop cleanup techniques.

Edited on Sep 06, 2013 at 02:11 PM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lastolite Hilite questions

I've use mine for highkey Easter photos and it worked OK. It's really helpful to get that look when working in small spaces. I shoot it as Brian says, 1.5 to 2 stops over subject exposure and the actual wrinkles weren't visible . Subject 4 feet out. I needed to add a light to the vinyl floor and even then had to hide seams with props to avoid having to retouch. The flare can also be a problem, moreso than using traditional seamless and lighting accordingly. The pluses when used for event shooting, ease of setup, lack of stands and wires all over the place, outweigh all the negatives.
Tom

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:28 PM
mrhoni
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lastolite Hilite questions

Tom
Do you have the type of wrinkles that I showed?

How many feet do you get from your subject? I'm wanting to do pets and at 70mm I'm finding that from the back of the Hilite to me, there is about 12-14 feet, in particular if I'm going for full body and some props.

Sep 06, 2013 at 05:17 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lastolite Hilite questions

With my meter pointing at the HiLite I set to about 3/4 over the main subject.

Subject is about 6ft from HiLite and no horrible wrap issues.

Important to get even lighting inside the HiLite so I use 2x lights with standard reflectors - pointing 2/3 way in on back screen each, with each light set at slightly different heights to minimise fall off top to bottom.

This gets me pretty good results. I can always punch up the white in Lightroom with an exposure brush.

Often it isn't necessary to get 100% white-out, as long as it is even.

Biggest issue can be colour matching if you aren't blowing the background out a lot. I find many studio strobes become about 50 kelvin warmer per stop less of power. Good to have some 1/8 CTB gels to hand if needed. Likely your 600EX's may be quite stable in that respect.

My HiLite has a few creases in, but perhaps not as much as yours. You may find it's because you are resting it on the ground.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lastolite Hilite questions

Hope you don't mind me asking this on your thread mrhoni?

Guys, was wondering when you light your hilite with two lights, where do you position your lights for an all over even lighting, do you point them so the strobes face upwards, backwards, forwards etc, halfway up, 3/4 of the way up? I have a 5x7ft one

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:27 PM
mrhoni
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lastolite Hilite questions

I'm sticking them in the middle of the sides, flipping the flash head vertical and aiming towards the middle. I'm using Canon 600EX speedlites.

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:54 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lastolite Hilite questions

I have used and given seminars on the use of these for a couple of years.

I know in sales the say that it can be lit by a single speedlight.. This is very spotty at best for these units. Will/does it work? yes.. but not well.

A single 300w head pointed toward the center mass back wall will ensure proper and even exposure.. and those 'winkles' are gone. Two lights are just over-kill and work great, provided the power is dialed WAY down. The 2 -1.5 stop guidelines are a good starting point on setup.. Once a person is in front of it, all depending on what they have on, distance to background, if the hilite floor is used, all will determine if that starting place needs to be tweaked.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lastolite Hilite questions

Thanks guys

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:05 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.