Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

saaketham
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

I just ordered some glossy "hobby" cards with a calendar on the back from VistaPrint. Do you think this is a good photo for the card and a good card design? I'm mostly happy, but wondering ... Thanks for any suggestions.

EDIT: I don't shoot for money, only as a hobby. These cards are to hand out to interesting-looking people who I meet while going about life, and whose photos I wish to add to my website/facebook page (after they sign the release, of course). Or to photogs or wannabe models who I meet and they ask me for my website and contact to meet up and shoot. Instead of Business Card, I'm calling them "Hobby Card".

Edited on Sep 05, 2013 at 10:34 PM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2013 at 05:10 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

I don't think I'd choose that pose.

Sep 05, 2013 at 06:02 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

Your editing of the frame left leg makes her look like she has really 'globby' celluloid areas; most likely this isn't true at all, but a result of poor Liquify tool usage, burning, or both. Look at it, it is 'rippled' like jello there. The pose a poor choice and the image not very professional. I'm sorry, but I would not use this image in any capacity to represent yourself as a professional.

Sep 05, 2013 at 06:11 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

Thanks for that, alohadave and jeremy. I will try to find a different one then.

Sep 05, 2013 at 06:14 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

saaketham wrote:
Thanks for that, alohadave and jeremy. I will try to find a different one then.

Any reason why you feel a need to use an image on your card?

I'm not sure as to the capacity or skill level of your work, but in some instances, a well designed card with a strong, clean typeface and/or logo will look much more professional (not to say some can't use photos, but just a thought).

Sep 05, 2013 at 06:17 PM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

I agree with the thinking that a business card looks more professional with a clean, thick, well-designed type and texture than by adding a photo, cartoon, hologram, having it printed on wood, etc. Your website or your book is the place (IMHO) to show off your work.

If handed two business cards, one embossed on linen and one on thin, glossy stock with a photo which one would you think belonged to an established professional? If you pick the wrong one, they DO expect you to be cheaper.

Sep 05, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

i wouldn't use that pose

Sep 05, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

I'm going to have to go with the others and say pick a different image. This pose isn't working for me.

Sep 05, 2013 at 07:14 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

Thanks for the opinion, everyone. I will try a different photo.

I do have a more "normal" card, which I had printed a few years ago from a default template on VistaPrint. But, I no longer like it - it feels boring and old-school. This is what that looks like.

I don't shoot for money, only as a hobby. This is more like a fun way of meeting people, breaking the ice, meeting them for photoshoots and making them happy with good photos. And I get some new material for my website and facebook page (once they sign a model release, of course).

With everyone having short attention spans and being used to glossy screens and touch devices, I kinda like a glossy photo-based card myself. Not to say that's better than a more "professional-looking" one.

But, I'll definitely try a different pose of Helen's or another model and see what works. Thanks again.

Sep 05, 2013 at 07:41 PM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

Well, if it is a hobby. You *could* go with an image like I wound up with taking a few casual shots of some friends kids. The kids were quite separated in age (a teenager about to graduate high school and two toddlers) all attempting to pose together. The teenager tried to hold the youngest on her lap and I got one at the instant the toddler on the lap tries to squirm off looking like his big sister is strangling him, the toddler to the left crying, and the teen realizing this is going terribly wrong giving a big, forced, "cheese" grin. It cracks me up every time I see it, but it is the world's worst group photo...maybe something like that with a "don't let this happen to you" tagline would be memorable.

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:52 PM

saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

irish-george wrote:
Well, if it is a hobby. You *could* go with an image like I wound up with taking a few casual shots of some friends kids. The kids were quite separated in age (a teenager about to graduate high school and two toddlers) all attempting to pose together. The teenager tried to hold the youngest on her lap and I got one at the instant the toddler on the lap tries to squirm off looking like his big sister is strangling him, the toddler to the left crying, and the teen realizing this is going terribly wrong giving a big,
...Show more
Could we see this photo?

It is a hobby. My day job is more boring, but pays a lot more than I can make pursuing full-time photography, so no complaints. I guess I shouldn't have called it a "Business Card".

I've been shooting couple portraits, casual outdoor portraits, family photos, kids. I'm trying to do some more sexy shoots for a change, to keep things interesting. When I get tired of this, I'll go back to kids and couples.

Sep 05, 2013 at 09:05 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

watch your fonts as well. 2 is borderline (first card) 3 is over the top (2nd one)

greg

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:19 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

Hmmm ... I guess I need to tone it down a lot. Alright, I'll come up with a new Hobby Card and see if you guys think that looks better.

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:28 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

Yeah, my first thought was that the pose looked awkward.

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:45 AM
msessions

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

Have to be honest, when I see that card I'm thinking "Guy With Camera", and would never let any women I know deal with the presenter of this card.

I agree with the others that a professional well designed card, usually without images works the best. Having said that, I do often break my own rules by having a business card with images front and back. These are cards I use for traveling and shooting strangers. It's a quick heads up that I won't make them look stupid.

Sep 06, 2013 at 02:35 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

Maybe it's because Helen's my good friend and I see her only as a good friend, and the fact that she was very happy with the photos that this photo looks good to me. But, now that everyone's mentioned it, the pose is probably a bit too provocative to put on a card. Thanks for the opinion, guys. Since all of you think it sucks, it probably does. I'll try a different photo and fonts and see what I can come up with.

@msessions .. Taiwan, eh? Nice ... I have a soft corner for the country for personal reasons. Hopefully I'll be able to visit Taiwan - keeping fingers crossed. How do you like it there?

Sep 06, 2013 at 02:40 PM
sonofjesse2010
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

I would put something different on it as well.

Sep 08, 2013 at 07:39 PM
msessions

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

Hey Anil,

I moved to Taiwan with my wife and two boys three years ago. We really enjoy it here for many reasons. I think many people in the United States would be surprised by the high quality of life people are enjoying in many Asian countries. Taipei is a great city. Six million people and the traffic isn't nearly as bad as my much smaller hometown Portland, Oregon. It's much safer and a great environment for kids.

One of the best perks is the rest of Asia is readily accessible. You can go to so many places and not have to deal with jet lag for the first several days and upon returning home. This is especially nice if you're traveling with kids. We now take our winter vacations on the islands in Thailand, can fly the whole family there for less than the cost of one ticket to the US.

Have you been here before?

Sep 09, 2013 at 06:07 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

msessions wrote:
I moved to Taiwan with my wife and two boys three years ago. We really enjoy it here for many reasons. I think many people in the United States would be surprised by the high quality of life people are enjoying in many Asian countries. Taipei is a great city. Six million people and the traffic isn't nearly as bad as my much smaller hometown Portland, Oregon. It's much safer and a great environment for kids.

Have you been here before?
I have not, but my gf is from Taiwan. We've been dating for over a year now, and I love their culture.

sonofjesse2010 wrote:
I would put something different on it as well.

Thanks. I'm working on different designs - one without any photo/graphics and one with.

Sep 09, 2013 at 01:36 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Helen (on my "Hobby Card")

Cards with photos on them are for real estate agents and bankers...

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:01 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password