Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Antarctic gear Q&A

PatrickSweeney
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Antarctic gear Q&A

Going to be visiting the seventh continent next year, February.

Anyone done it, and have advice on gear? Bodies, lenses, protection, waterproofing, etc? And that's for the photo gear. What about for me? Boots, layers, etc?

The schedule is to visit Falklands, South Georgia, and the Antarctic peninsula, getting ashore at all of them.

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:06 PM
John Mills
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Antarctic gear Q&A

Take you swimmers it will be summer.

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:32 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Antarctic gear Q&A

Occasionally someone will post a trip report in the Landscape forum, maybe a search there?

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:38 PM
Alek Komarnits
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Antarctic gear Q&A

I did the Antarctica, Falklands, South Georgia trip a few years ago - it's awesome and smart move doing the "triangle" rather than just down and back ... South Georgia is especially impressive.

I have some Antarctica Photography tips here - I'm also a Canon shooter. One thing that I don't often see discussed is knee pads - they help getting down low and it can be pretty rocky. A remote trigger is useful because the animals are naturally curious - no fear of humans as seen in the pictures below.

Wellington boots should be supplied so check with your operator - which boat are you going on?

Hope that's helpful - have a great time - you will!

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:57 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Antarctic gear Q&A

I have been to Antarctica in months of October and December - temperatures varied between 20s & 30s. Layers worked well. Most boats supply wellingtons so warm socks are a must and most supply jackets. The jackets I received had a windproof shell with a removable fleece lining. Waterproof is a must and you will want a waterproof bag for your gear. Many zodiac landings are tame, but I had a buddy who ended up in neck deep water on a landing at South Georgia so waterproofing, waterproofing, waterproofing.

Gear - sensor cleaning crap a must as the environment is dry and dusty. I didn't take knee pads but they have foam gardening kneeling pads which are good when you are kneeling down. I also took squares of oil cloth to sit on since there is much penguin crap on the ground. Take more storage and cards than you ever think you will use, because it is spectacular. Most of the time you would be fine with a wide angle and a 70-200 with a tele unless you are uber wildlife and then a 300-500mm can be helpful.

I have some antarctic landscapes & emperpor penguins here www.gritsphoto.com

PM me if you have any other specific questions.

Sep 05, 2013 at 05:57 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Antarctic gear Q&A

It's warmer than you think, about freezing. But there's less sun than you think. During our 10 day trip, we had 8 hours of sun; heavy overcast the rest of the time. A buddy went there past xmas, and he had zero hours of sun out of 10 days.

As for gear - I had a 1Ds and 300D (in 2003), today I would go with my 1DX and 5D3. I think two matched bodies (as closely as possible) are a must. Often you need to change lenses quickly, and just can't do an actual lens change.

My most used lens was a 70-200/2.8LIS, followed by the 24-70. All other lenses were barely in the noise - a 300/2.8, 17-40, and a fish (although it was with the fish that I took my favorite photo).

Be redundant. In our day, we were the only ones with digital cameras on board, and had to have two of everything - all the way down to two laptops. Nowadays you should have an easier time begging for gear, but still, there's no service center within a few thousand miles.

© Stan Jirman

Sep 05, 2013 at 06:32 PM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Antarctic gear Q&A

I did a title keyword search in Canon, Landscape and Wildlife, and came up with nada. Hence the questions.

We're going on the L:'Austral, since my wife is the queen of finding great deals.

The plan is my 7D, her T4i, a selection of lenses. I'm thinking this might be the time to upgrade to a 5D3, since the 7D is getting long in the tooth. (Both mine and the design.)

I hadn't thought of the sensor cleaning gear, not glad to hear I'd need it, but glad to know beforehand that I might.

I've got about 150 G of CF cards, so that should last us.

Waterproof bags? Just multi-gallon freezer bags, or are their special bags that work better?

Sep 05, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Antarctic gear Q&A

I am also very interested because my wife and I are going in November with Lindblad/Nat_Geo. We will be hitting the Falklands, South Georgia and the Antarctic Peninsula (with a trip extension to Iguazu Falls at the end). From scouring photo forums and blogs about Antarctic trips I think I know what I'm going to take, but I'm willing to listen to suggestions.

ThinkTank Airport Essentials bag
SealLine 70L drybag to transport camera bag + other stuff on the Zodiacs
(if necessary, rinse salt water off in shower + let gear warm back up slowly)
5D3
7D
24-105L
100-400L
400 f/5.6L (mostly for BIF and tele backup. should I consider 70-200 f/2.8L V1 instead? the 24-105 and 100-400 cover that range, but are slower)
Tamron 1.4X teleconverter
CPL filter
extra batteries w/ charger
several 32GB CF cards (for shooting)
several 32GB SD cards (for backup)
USB card reader
USB camera cable
Giotto Blower
lenspen
a few microfiber cloths
Op/Tech rain sleeves
ASUS TF700 Android tablet
1TB portable USB hardrive (primary backup)

I've decided against taking a tripod, head and flash to minimize hauling gear around and the luggage limitations on the local flights in Argentina.

Art

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:09 PM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Antarctic gear Q&A

I'm torn over the teles and a tripod, too. The idea of a south american "gate check" experience for gear is enough to make me wince.

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Alek Komarnits
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Antarctic gear Q&A

I'm assuming this is your itinerary - very similar to what I did 4 years ago - here's the map of my trip to the Falklands, South Georgia, and Antarctica.

That's a bigger ship than the one I was on ... so hopefully you have a smooth Drake crossing. Keep in mind that most zodiac landings are limited to a 100 people at once (some are 50) ... so you'll be in shifts going ashore ... and you may want to try to time for better light.

I agree with what others said that you don't "have" to bring any big tele's ... but I found the tripod useful at times - it's a tradeoff.

StanJ's comment about being redundant is important ... but as he points out, a lot more people are carrying big camera gear around, so at least you have a chance of begging if need be.

Since both you and Art have cropper bodies, I would suggest the 55-250 lens. Very minimal cost/weight/size ... and give you a backup ... just in case. On trips, I've loaned this lens to others more frequently that I've actually used ... but that's good karma and nice to have "just in case"

sperraglia: Nice pics - curious where you saw the Emperor Penguins?

Sep 05, 2013 at 09:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Antarctic gear Q&A

Alek - Snow Hill Island. Unfortunately no icebreaker for tourism any more so you can't get there, I did it the last year the Kaptain Klebnikov was visiting Snow Hill.

I used a tripod at Snow Hill but we were on a stable ice sheet and got there by helicopter rather than by zodiac. I didn't use a tripod on my other trip where we were zodiac dependent.

Older Fossil - I would consider the 70-200.

I almost got nabbed by gate police when I stopped off in El Calefate before heading to Ushuaia - they were not letting any roller bags on the plane so it was only having a backpack that saved me. It is kind of a free for all when lining up for boarding so stay alert and make sure you are in front and try to make your gear look as small and light as possible.

Oh, take far less cloths than you think - the ships do pretty much same day laundry by picking up in the morning and returning in the evening and pretty cheap. Of course that was for smaller ships, not sure how this monster of a ship works with laundry. Yikes - 264 people? Alek is totally on the money about limited zodiac landings - very limited in numbers, definitely no more than 100 at a time.

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:23 PM
Alek Komarnits
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Antarctic gear Q&A

I figured it must have been Snow Hill. FYI for others going "down South" that while you'll see bazillions of various types of Penguins, it takes some work to see the Emperors.

I agree the 70-200 would be nice ... and that with a 2X TC gets you out to the same 400/5.6 ... but at least on my trip, we had good light ... so maybe easier to just have the 100-400 rather than switching the TC on/off. However, the 70-200v2 is an awesomely sharp lens (plus the F/2.8 provides good subject isolation) so again, it's a tradeoff.

Great advice on trying to make your gear look at small & light as possible.

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:52 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Antarctic gear Q&A

Some other words of advice:

1) Have a full day of buffer in Ushuaia. If your bag doesn't arrive with you, you're screwed. If your flight is delayed out of Buenos Aires, you're totally screwed. Happened to my buddy who just went. Fortunately he had a day buffer.

2) Wear a photo vest, or have one in your carryon. Anytime when I travel to some place where carryon policies are either unknown or fuzzy, I have one of these, and it allows me to unload most of my photo bag into the vest. My vest can pack my 1DX, 70-200, 24-70, and some other gear. Not comfortably and certainly highly awkward in the execution, but if your bag isn't coming on board, your photo gear still is.

3) I had a tripod. Used it exactly once. I would say it was not worth it. Then again my style is likely different than yours.

4) I can only reiterate how useless the long prime was. Out of 650 "keepers" (I am being generous there, mainly pictures that I have selected for further processing) I have 10 with the 300/2.8. That was not worth it. The 70-200, sometimes with the 1.4x attached, did half the shooting.

Sep 06, 2013 at 03:41 PM
parischris

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Antarctic gear Q&A

PatrickSweeney wrote:
I did a title keyword search in Canon, Landscape and Wildlife, and came up with nada. Hence the questions.

We're going on the L:'Austral, since my wife is the queen of finding great deals.

The plan is my 7D, her T4i, a selection of lenses. I'm thinking this might be the time to upgrade to a 5D3, since the 7D is getting long in the tooth. (Both mine and the design.)

I hadn't thought of the sensor cleaning gear, not glad to hear I'd need it, but glad to know beforehand that I might.

I've got about 150 G of CF cards, so that
...Show more
I've been to the peninsula a couple of times on different ships, south Georgia 3 times and I've just been on Le Boreal (L'Astral's twin sister ship) in the Arctic 5 weeks ago, so please PM me if you have any questions about L'Astral.

The key question is: are you going to South Georgia as part of the itinerary? If so, take the tripod (spectacular sunrises on the beach landings). If not, I'd leave the tripod behind if you're just going to the peninsula.

My gear has been whittled down to:

5D2 with 24-105
7D with 100-400.

The lenses never leave the bodies, so I've never carried a cleaning kit for anything other than the lenses. I took the 400 5.6 on one trip as well, and used exactly once.

I'd take a dry bag of some form - I've seen a couple of full body immersion incidents (person + camera) getting in and out of zodiacs with zip lock bags where the camera hasn't survived. If you don't get wet, zip lock bags will be fine :-)

Take more storage than you think you'll need - particularly if you are into BIF across the Drake (there's really nothing else to do) or whales/orcas. They chew through cards pretty quickly.

If you're like me and you carry a few cameras, a laptop and ipod, ipad etc, the key piece of kit is a power strip. L'Astral will have a couple of power points, but there are never enough to charge everything at once.

Have a great trip!

Sep 07, 2013 at 09:29 AM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Antarctic gear Q&A

OK, I find that we're not going to South Georgia (mixup in the maps displayed) but still a smokin' good deal.

Ushuaia, Drake passage, lots of time loitering about the peninsula, with 4 days of landfalls and one of cruising, then Falklands with landfalls, and Montevideo.

In considering a full-frame, I realize that I don't have a suitable lens what will work on a FF. My fave on the 7D is the 15-85. If I get a 5D3, then I'll have to get a lens, too.

Suggestions?

Considering that my knees are about twice as old as I am, full water protection for landing sounds like a good idea.

Prospective gear list;

7D, w/15-85 & 100-400
T4i w/18-200 (my wife loves it, and anything heavier is out of the question)
Canon 18-55 (kit, I know, but the sharpest of the three that passed through here. Spare, in case of emergency)
Metric pocket-load of CF cards, laptop, batteries, cleaning gear, waterproof bags, filters.

On a 5D3, perhaps the Canon 24-105?

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:13 PM
wtlloyd
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Antarctic gear Q&A

bring a small oilcloth - say 2x3 or perhaps a bit larger - take it with you on every shore landing - penguin colonies are covered in crap and the smell is unforgetable. Nice to have a clean spot to set your bag down - or take your storm jacket off if the sun comes out.

bring a clothesline, could be retractable or just a length of cord, that you can put up in your cabin - 2 or 3 landings per day, and your gloves and socks will never dry out without hanging them up - preferably directly over the cabin heater.

400mm is good, lots of distant seal and penguin shots to be had while the ship is moving. They typically jump off the floes if the ship gets close.

Too bad you're not bringing a flash and tripod, you don't have time to wait for the weather to clear. When it's socked in and drizzling, you'll be glad you can still make photos in twilight

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Antarctic gear Q&A

PatrickSweeney wrote:
On a 5D3, perhaps the Canon 24-105?

That would be my choice. Bit faster and better optically than the 15-85; plus you'll be using it on the 5D

If you take this lens then you won't need the 18-55 and 15-85. The 5D3 can AF at f8 so take a 1.4x for the 100-400. 20 or 24 mm of extension is useful on the 100-400 as well and doesn't weigh much. Don't know how much you'll want to unmount lenses ashore so two bodies is a good idea. Enjoy your trip!

Sep 10, 2013 at 02:00 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Antarctic gear Q&A

They are really close to you so a 70-200 lens for close ups and maybe 24mm for wide angle stuff. You can maybe buy a used sigma 50-500mm for the trip. With that lens you can grab some really distant objects. After you come back you can always sell it for the same price...

If I were you...I'd get an underwater camera. You can get some AMAZING pictures of penguins swimming underwater. That's where the coolest images are!!

I guess it's a good idea to wear a lot of layers, if you don't like cold. I was wearing a sweater and a snowboarding jacket there on some days,but mostly I'd take it off and photograph with just a hoodie.
Maybe it's just me as I don't get cold as fast as most people. I swam twice in there too...

Here are some from my trip,but I still have a lot photographs haven't seen. While there, for the first time in my life I actually enjoyed just being there than taking photographs.
photos of Antarctica

Sep 10, 2013 at 05:29 AM
parischris

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Antarctic gear Q&A

+1 for the 24-105

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:59 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Antarctic gear Q&A

Clothing: summer on the Antarctic Peninsula is similar to a day trip skiing out of Melbourne. Air temperatures ~3șC, often sunny. I just took my normal winter/snow gear: thermal longs (top and bottom), thermofibre fleece tops and bottoms, GoreTex jacket and overpants, mitts and overgloves. I sometimes removed the fleece top.

wtlloyd wrote:
Too bad you're not bringing a flash and tripod

Flash is not permitted for wildlife shooting in the Antarctic Treaty area. There are a whole lot of strict rules agreed by the Treaty Nations and you should be given a list of them beforehand.

They are really close to you so a 70-200 lens for close ups and maybe 24mm for wide angle stuff.

I still had my 35mm film gear and took a wide angle, 100mm and 180mm lenses. Almost all of the wildlife shots were taken at 180mm. There were a couple of animal behaviour shots I couldn't resist that were heavily cropped for printing, and if doing it again I would probably also bring 300mm. But 70-200 on full frame should yield you many memorable shots.

Lens choice might be different for the subantarctic islands - I only did the usual Peninsula trip.

DmitriM wrote:
If I were you...I'd get an underwater camera.

While the air temperature on the Peninsula and islands in summer hovers around 0-3șC, the water is very cold and we were told 30 seconds of immersion would kill you. So I think you would also need some way to hold that camera...

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password