FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

Robin Usagani
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

What would you guys do when the room has really warm temperature light with windows without direct sunlight. The room also is not bright enough if I shoot it from most angles. I really struggle with this. If I warm up my flash, the windows will be even bluer. Help? I ended up doing B&W on most of the shots.

http://usagani.com/img/s10/v107/p1795845729-4.jpg

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:26 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

B&W.

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:33 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

Local adjustment tool in Lightroom to paint in a better w/b, or turn off the lamps and crank your iso

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:35 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

on my last photo shoot, I remembered this crazy kind of stuff and remembered to turn off the overhead lights, smartest move of the day

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:58 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

+1 on kill the room lights.

Sep 05, 2013 at 09:08 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

Depends how bright/nice the ambient from outside is. If it is bright enough, turn off the room lights. If it is not good enough, then I will balance for the tungsten and use the reduce-blue preset that I made for getting rid of blue casts (which is a huge pet peeve of mine)

Sep 05, 2013 at 09:59 AM
Theographics
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

i'd kill the room lights then mix ambient with flash, if flash was needed.

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:21 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

I'd rather have blue window light than orange everything. Since you're shooting against the window light I would balance to tungsten.

Turning off room lights is also an option but usually the edited result isn't too bad and when it is I have a preset I made in LR for mixed light HSL adjustment to tone the craziness down.

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

Agree with TTL In that particular shot adjusting the hue and saturation of the yellows and oranges would make a big improvement.
Tuning off the lights seems big extreme to me.

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:50 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

When room color is THAT warm...

Lights off. L glass. Possibly off-cam flash (modified) for dimension. (for the larger/wider images) Just do the makeup by the window. Problem solved. There's one hotel in my area I carry a brolly in the car for this very reason. This would have definitely helped in your case, and would have looked perfectly natural in the end.

That said, I have really considered carrying daylight balanced "lamp" bulbs in the car for some rooms in my area that are this bad.

Sep 05, 2013 at 11:16 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

Overpower the room lights with daylight balanced flash, or balance to tungsten and let the windows completely blow out?

Sep 06, 2013 at 04:50 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tungsten light + Sun + Flash

I turn off tungsten lights sometimes, reduce blue saturation in post sometimes, just deal with it sometimes. There are plenty of resorts here with green windows...which also doesn't look good against orange light.

Sep 06, 2013 at 02:18 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.