Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

We can do better.

tshore
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · We can do better.

I've only posted a few times, and commented a few times, in this forum, but I view it as a great resource that probably has the most amazing images on FM or elsewhere. I enjoyed Brian's posts particularly and miss seeing them. I am a rank beginner in macro, but aspire to take images like many of those posted here. I am resolving (no pun intended) to take more macro images this coming year and try to participate more in this forum. As a beginner I confess I value the typically more supportive atmosphere of this board to that of some other FM boards (sports comes to mind) that have more of a tough love style. In any event, folks, thank you all and please keep the images and posts coming.

Dec 28, 2013 at 03:36 AM
sandymctyre
• •
p.7 #2 · We can do better.

John Koerner wrote:
Regarding the craft of taking good macro shots, it is key to me the "simplicity of approach" that woman gave you ... namely about composition, lighting, and angle ... as just 3 days ago I made a YouTube video saying almost the exact same thing in reference to artistic macro shots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1tFVUVyuYU

Hi John,
Just watched your video. Thanks for posting. Very informative, as I begin my journey into macro photography.

Feb 12, 2014 at 02:02 AM
bladesofgrass
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #3 · We can do better.

A simple statement at either the beginning of your post or a signature at the bottom stating what kind of comments you want is another option. If you don't share what you want or expect out of this forum with others then it seems a little misplaced to bemoan when other people take it upon themselves to comment or criticize in a manner in keeping with their own values. If I don't see C&C or a similar wanted for response, then my comments are of the "nice shot" variety, though I do like to qualify that with some substance. If they do want C&C then I don't go out of my way to temper my comments to appeal to delicate sensibilities, but I also try not to be aggressive and insulting. It's a forum with people from many different backgrounds and cultures, moderation is key with the occasional pot stirring.

Feb 14, 2014 at 03:56 PM
JHut
• • •
p.7 #4 · We can do better.

We all love photography and that is what brings us all together at this place.

Whether a novice, a professional, or someone that enjoys photography, we can all agree that this is great place to inspire, get inspired, or just share an experience with other people that have a similar passion. It is also a great place to learn or offer some knowledge along the way.

We all have different equipment, techniques, and tastes regarding subject matter and how a photograph should look.

Many thanks to Fred for this site, Tom for moderating this Forum, and others that contribute along the way!

Keep on shooting, stay inspired and enjoy!!

Edited on Mar 22, 2014 at 08:30 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2014 at 01:49 PM
smcdmc
• • •
p.7 #5 · We can do better.

I just read through this thread and thought I would make some comments. Although I am a "photographer" I do not consider myself a "pro". This is not how I make my living and I do not have a specific area of expertise. I am what someone on here referred to as a Jack of all trades master of none. I do landscapes, an occasional wedding or portrait, and love wildlife and macro shooting. Because of that I have not posted a lot of pictures here even though I have been a member and "lurker" for many years. Yes I have been inspired to do better by some of the images here, but I have also been prodded to do better by some of the responses to the few images I have posted. So for anyone to say that "seeing" is enough and words will do nothing to help inspire someone, that is not true. Some of us need that word (even if it might be harsh at times) to help us "see". Also, if you were not on the forum when it began don't try to tell us what it should be like now just because you have posted here for a year.
It's been a while since I have visited and the biggest reason for that is because of what Tom started off with. The forum gradually changed and I became bored. You saw the same stuff over and over and if you checked in a week later some of the same threads might still be near the top. Ten years ago it was like the buy and sell thread, you posted and an hour later came back and had to skip ahead a couple pages to find it. I would love to see the forum get back to that. Yes, I too like to see some of the well done ID shots. But I also need to see those artistic, creative, different shots to help me open up my own creativity. And when I do post one of my own I expect criticism. That is how I learn. I have always thought of Fred Miranda as a "pro" site even though I myself am not a pro. If I wanted to post a picture for the sake of "sharing" with other bug enthusiasts there are other websites I would go to.
Tom, thank you for giving this forum the slap it needed. I can share a pretty picture on facebook and all my friends will like it. I can share it on here and you will tell me why it sucks lol. I don't want to suck! And by the way, I wandered where you went. Good to see you back.

Mar 12, 2014 at 03:06 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.7 #6 · We can do better.

Just to lighten up a bit, perhaps we could do more with lighting :

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-of-the-day/cuban-tree-frog-pod/

Harold

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:41 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
p.7 #7 · We can do better.

smcdmc wrote:
I just read through this thread and thought I would make some comments. Although I am a "photographer" I do not consider myself a "pro". This is not how I make my living and I do not have a specific area of expertise. I am what someone on here referred to as a Jack of all trades master of none. I do landscapes, an occasional wedding or portrait, and love wildlife and macro shooting. Because of that I have not posted a lot of pictures here even though I have been a member and "lurker" for many years. Yes I
...Show more

Good to see you make a post again as well .I'm always around , I just stay back in the shadow more .

Hope you post more soon .

Best , Tom

Mar 18, 2014 at 02:22 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.7 #8 · We can do better.

It seems to me that with macro it is a particular tricky thing.
Some people shot macro both for art and also as biologist and also love pure ID shots and seeing various species or only one or the other. It doesn't seem to me that there is a right and wrong about it.

Apr 26, 2014 at 06:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

e6filmuser
• • • •
p.7 #9 · We can do better.

skibum5 wrote:
It seems to me that with macro it is a particular tricky thing.
Some people shot macro both for art and also as biologist and also love pure ID shots and seeing various species or only one or the other. It doesn't seem to me that there is a right and wrong about it.

It depends what your understanding is of the circumstances of the shot.

Most of the images posted here are a matter of going to where the subject is found, in its natural environment. There, you have to cope with nervous subjects, obstructing foliage and variable light (flash is an option but has its own limitations), not to mention air movement and weather in general.

In the studio, live insects may be used but, in some forums, dead ones are more the rule e.g.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=e7373118df175c5154dadfa8608b4129

Dead subjects may be imaged as anything from some long dead, partly-shrivelled black fly, with its legs at all angles, half way up a pin and filling a small part of the frame (not in the above forum), to high magnification, perfectly-lit focus-stacked portraits.

While there are rights and wrongs there is a continuum between the two and much will depend on personal aesthetic taste and, where it exists, interest in the subject. In passing, I don't like to see images of e.g. butterflies with significant damage, such as missing wing tips. Of course, if the head of a male mantis has just been bitten off by its mate...

Harold

Apr 26, 2014 at 07:19 AM
rw11
• •
p.7 #10 · We can do better.

Kodak used to put out a booklet that had very good advice on macro-photography. IIRC, the cover was purple - this was in the 1970s but some of it may still be useful.

Does anyone know of an online source for it?

Jun 02, 2014 at 06:58 PM
geneva

p.7 #11 · We can do better.

cool

Jun 08, 2014 at 11:28 PM
kajat

p.7 #12 · We can do better.

rw11 wrote:
Kodak used to put out a booklet that had very good advice on macro-photography. IIRC, the cover was purple - this was in the 1970s but some of it may still be useful.

Does anyone know of an online source for it?

Is this it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Kodak-Soft-back-Macro-Scientific-Motion-photography-books-/360956914304?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item540ab56a80

Jun 23, 2014 at 07:02 PM
rw11
• •
p.7 #13 · We can do better.

Yes - the one in the bottom RH corner(!)

Jun 24, 2014 at 05:54 PM
innovis
• •
p.7 #14 · We can do better.

Right.

Aug 13, 2014 at 09:45 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.7 #15 · We can do better.

whatever happened to Brian 'Lord V' ?