FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

amacal1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Does anyone else think it fishy that the price in each country has the same numerical value despite the fact that each represents wildly different monetary values?

I mean, how much does it cost? It seems to cost a nice even number that they think you'll be willing to pay. It doesn't appear to have a real fixed value.

Sep 09, 2013 at 08:39 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

amacal1 wrote:
Does anyone else think it fishy that the price in each country has the same numerical value despite the fact that each represents wildly different monetary values?

I mean, how much does it cost? It seems to cost a nice even number that they think you'll be willing to pay. It doesn't appear to have a real fixed value.

9.99 is a psychological barrier. You see this value used all the time in sales.

Sep 09, 2013 at 09:36 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Translating those into USD:

North America $9.99 USD = $9.99 USD
European Union €9.99 EUR = $13.24 USD
EMEA non-EU $9.99 USD = $9.99 USD
Australia/New Zealand $9.99 AUD = $9.21 USD
Asia Pacific $9.99 USD = $9.99 USD
Latin America $9.99 USD = $9.99 USD
Japan ¥1,000 JPY = $10.04 USD
UK £7.14 GBP = $11.22 USD

So 30% premium for being european, and a small discount for being australian.

Sep 09, 2013 at 10:43 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Since I own CS6, except for ACR raw upgrades, Adobe has nothing to offer me. No fantastic upgrades or tools now and after CC is stable no reason to improve the product. For sure Adobe will soon migrate their file protocols so that "owned" versions of PS will not read CC files to keep users locked in.

Yes, I predict improvements in 3rd party RAW converters and CS6 plugins. Alos CC "Cracking/theft). My responce to adobe is to "Put me on your don't call list" and to SPAM/unsubscribe their emails.

Sep 09, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Erik_J
• •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

15Bit wrote:
Translating those into USD:

North America $9.99 USD = $9.99 USD
European Union €9.99 EUR = $13.24 USD
EMEA non-EU $9.99 USD = $9.99 USD
Australia/New Zealand $9.99 AUD = $9.21 USD
Asia Pacific $9.99 USD = $9.99 USD
Latin America $9.99 USD = $9.99 USD
Japan ¥1,000
...Show more

Yes the prices should have been the same for all countries. And especially when it's a cloud service.
But those prices are also rather good. 9,99 in dollars or euro is a rather low price for both getting the Photoshop and ligthroom software.

Sep 10, 2013 at 02:42 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

SoundHound wrote:
Since I own CS6, except for ACR raw upgrades, Adobe has nothing to offer me. No fantastic upgrades or tools now and after CC is stable no reason to improve the product. For sure Adobe will soon migrate their file protocols so that "owned" versions of PS will not read CC files to keep users locked in.

Yes, I predict improvements in 3rd party RAW converters and CS6 plugins. Alos CC "Cracking/theft). My responce to adobe is to "Put me on your don't call list" and to SPAM/unsubscribe their emails.

The release of AfterShot Pro seems rather timely ... particularly as it appears to be LR style + layers/opacity. As mentioned in the link (below) it could be the resurrection of "The New" Bibble Pro in Corel's clothing. Given Adobe's posturing at agitating its customer base, the TIFF and XMP compatibility with CS6 appears to be suited as a third party candidate ... and with layers/opacity capability already in AfterShot Pro ... hmmm @ the magnitude of need for CS6 as much. I guess we'll see how AfterShot Pro plays out. I doubt they'll try to stranglehold their customer base, instead looking to give a new home to some of Adobe's disgruntled ones ... could be interesting.

Do I think a zillion mainstream Adobe fans will jump ship, not likely too much, but if looking for a legitimate option in lieu of being held hostage to CC, I think some gaps just got narrowed at RAW converter + layers and no hostage situation. Hmmm @ Corel history/future vs. Bibble quality vs. Adobe posturing.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1240054/0#lastmessage

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:44 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

I dunno, yeah, sometimes word-of-mouth evangelism occurs naturally. But usually users are like most other consumers, quite sheep-like and with a need to be lead around by professional evangelists and/or requiring a perception of trend popularity. I don't think Corel is good at those things but I'm not certain as I don't pay that much attention. Heh, I've actually learned to ignore and/or cancel ads without absorbing anything other than basic shape and the location of that wonderful cancel box . I guess however it goes it'll be really hard for Corel to break through the brand-recognition-responce that Adobe has created for themselves. Adobe's evangelistic skills are awesome - started with their outline fonts.

On topic, Chez is of course right on about 9.99 being a psycho-acceptable number of generally low significance. I guess the answer to amacal one's question of real cost is answerable in cents depending on the number of customers the campaign garners. 10¢ a month or less maybe - (after a year in operation)? I dunno, something like that though.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:02 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Corel and history:
before I had to move over to PS I was using a program called Picture Publisher. it was quite advanced and in my opinion better then the PS of its time. that was just before PS3 came about. Along came Corel and purchased PP and all its associated extensions. they supported it for a short time and then utterly destroyed it.

Sep 11, 2013 at 07:17 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

sjms wrote:
Corel and history:
before I had to move over to PS I was using a program called Picture Publisher. it was quite advanced and in my opinion better then the PS of its time. that was just before PS3 came about. Along came Corel and purchased PP and all its associated extensions. they supported it for a short time and then utterly destroyed it.

Yep, what devil do you want to jump into bed with? Corel sat on it's hind end for years not making any kind of competitive challenge to PS. Now it sees an opening and all of a sudden it is making noise. Do you really want to give your money to a company that did squat for you for so long?

Sep 11, 2013 at 07:47 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

chez wrote:
Do you really want to give your money to a company that did squat for you for so long?

No, I don't want to invest in any developer who seems unwilling to advance the cause. This was the primary reason I quit using Lightroom earlier this year.

I have been using Ps since v2 in 1993 ... I had been using Lr since the very first public beta (pre v1) ... However, since that first beta, Adobe has seen fit to almost totally ignore the Slideshow module, then offer a Blurb only Book module. While Blurb may offer decent products geared toward the general consumer, the template and page sizes are of such a nature and dimensions that renders the finished product created in that module unusable for other vendors. Think about it. If everyone that uses the Lr Book module prints only Blurb books ... how does one separate their work from the masses?

Then add to that, Adobe is routinely 4 to 6 months late in adding tether support for new cameras ... then when questioned about the delay ... all they will do is point fingers at the camera makers ... I guess the laws of physics as it relates to tether support coding are different for other developers as Apple and C1 seem to have no issue offering support ... both supporting over twice as many cameras, many months in advance of Adobe.

In my routine work, books, slideshows and shooting several larger jobs tethered in the course of a year are quite important features that allow me to serve my clients more efficiently.

Sure, I could employ other software options to get the job done ... but at what expense of not only the purchase of the additional unnecessary software ... plus all the extra time and housekeeping of generating tens of thousands of derivative images so they can be used by those alternatives ... when I can use Aperture 3 and work directly with my RAW images.

I had been using Aperture just for Books and Slideshows for a couple of years, then finally came to the conclusion with the introduction of Lr 5 that Adobe was never going to improve the Slideshow module, nor were they going to open the Book module to a point where the user could define page dimensions or save and use true custom templates. Something Aperture offered for many years. Contrary to the rest of the world, I was under the impression that Lightroom was intended to be more than Camera RAW with a different UI.

So I moved my entire workflow to Aperture this past spring ... I don't miss Lr one bit. I paid $80 for Aperture 3 over two years ago ... and it has been updated and supported for new camera RAW support and tethering the whole time at no additional cost ...

I now only use Ps primarily for composite designs and sometimes for CMYK conversions for a few clients that request that service ... I really could get by without it if I had to ... especially when they consider the Camera Shake tool as a "must have" earth shattering feature ... I am also very confident that by the time my current perpetual license reaches it's end of life, there will be a viable alternative for what I use Ps for now.

So you are correct ... I don't really want to give my money to anyone who has done nearly squat for me ... regardless of how low they temporarily set the bar for entry.

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:22 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

chez wrote:
Yep, what devil do you want to jump into bed with? Corel sat on it's hind end for years not making any kind of competitive challenge to PS. Now it sees an opening and all of a sudden it is making noise.

Can you blame them ... wouldn't you try to make a move and play some "catch up" if you saw a potential chink in the armor of your competition (agitating the customer base and tapped out @ future improvements)?

Do you really want to give your money to a company that did squat for you for so long?

Even if they didn't do anything in the past much, if they start putting a little pressure on Adobe ... hmmm @ competition is good for consumer. For a measly $15 to contribute to the cause ... why not. I realize that Adobe will likely ignore anything Corel is doing though until it effects the stock price (which may well be never). In the meantime, if Corel does "come around" to putting out a reasonable product, why should their history (alone) prevent one from using it, if it fits their needs.

Kinda funny @ we rag on Adobe for sitting on its laurels today and holding us hostage tomorrow. Then when someone else might be getting off their duffs today, we choose to rag on them for sitting on their duffs yesterday, rather than looking at where they are trying to go.

In the end, we each pick/choose that which works for us. I don't think I'd go so far as to expect ASP to be an LR killer, but they could be presenting an option to the CC subscription hostage scenario that may be viable in lieu of being held hostage with some middle ground @ DAM, RAW Converter & Layers.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

I want Corel to step up to the plate, but they have such a long history of dropping the ball that I can't put any faith in them now. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it (or be bitten by it). Maybe in a couple of years I'll have another look.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

+1 @ more time.

I figure this is a "hint" at better things to come. I haven't mortgaged the farm for snake oil just yet, but sometimes things do make a turnaround. It took some time for HD and the EVO to change public opinion ... that's not an easy thing to do. But as to this offering from Corel @ ASP, a lap or two through the paces isn't going to hurt anyone much (demo or $15). I figure $15 today is a pittance to "risk" for an option to upgrade to more potential down the road. Some folks will like it as is, others not so much.

Regaining that trust/faith ... well, I think they might be showing some signs of starting down that path, even if it is a long road. We'll just have to watch and see.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

RustyBug wrote:
Can you blame them ... wouldn't you try to make a move and play some "catch up" if you saw a potential chink in the armor of your competition (agitating the customer base and tapped out @ future improvements)?

Even if they didn't do anything in the past much, if they start putting a little pressure on Adobe ... hmmm @ competition is good for consumer. For a measly $15 to contribute to the cause ... why not. I realize that Adobe will likely ignore anything Corel is doing though until it effects the stock price (which may well be never).
...Show more

History shows Corel left it's consumers high and dry in the past. Do you really trust them now?

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:31 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

chez wrote:
History shows Corel left it's consumers high and dry in the past. Do you really trust them now?

I think it is a bit late to place much trust ANY software developer ... after all, wasn't it Adobe who one year ago said that if we wanted to to receive upgrade pricing for any future version of CS products, we had to upgrade to CS6 before CS7 arrived or we would have to pay full price? ... then on May 6, 2013, much to the surprise of many of their very own employees, it was announced that there would in fact be no CS7 whatsoever ... I think it is a bit late in the game to be splitting hairs over a "trust" issue ... that ship has sailed for all involved.

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

chez wrote:
History shows Corel left it's consumers high and dry in the past.

Sorry ... I'm just a young pup that can't remember what I had for breakfast and doesn't remember anything that far back.

But, I do remember gettin' jerked a few times by Adobe in the last year or so @ 3 version upgrade policy change to 1 version, backlash backpedaling to must upgrade to CS6 to be eligible for future upgrades, "psyche" there are no future upgrades, and you gotta sign up for our eternal rental program, no more hard copies to be bought. They seem to be on quite a roll here, don't ya think?

Adobe just won't seem to let us forget, with a new "poke" just about the time things seem to be settling back down. At the rate they've been going, there seems to be a lingering feeling of "what's next" ... are they gonna disable those of us with hard copies of CS6 (or earlier) via some "update" and force us then to go CC ... the trust issue is certainly a legitimate issue.

I try not to think about it much ... just keep using CS6, but I won't be surprised (ticked off, but not surprised) when I go to use CS6 next year and they've somehow managed to disable it. After all, they are offering us a "sweetheart deal" to sign up for CC by the end of the year. I'd anticipate they'll exonerate themselves by pointing back to offering us such a sweet deal, claiming that we should have taken it when it was offered, before they closed the door. And any concerns or paranoia that people have regarding the future of Adobe products ... well, that came at the hand of Adobe over the last two years, i.e. it has been their own doing that has upset their customer base.

As a product, I'm good with CS6 and envision being so for a very, very long time (new camera support notwithstanding) ... at least as long as Adobe will allow me to keep using it. But that confidence has been shaken regarding what's to come next year or the year after from Adobe. If they take a year or so to lock everyone into CC, that's a year or so for Corel to improve their position both on product and customer relations. How will it play out ... who knows

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.