Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

fotoasart wrote:
No Adobe. NO.

Sorry, Im not going there. I used PS and bridge and by the time our OS will not accept CS6, there will be a replacement for PS by another company. We can wait for another product.

you assume quite a bit. I tried out Corel. it is essentially elements but dumber. it lacks any refinement. they just never made an attempt to work on it as with anything from them.

but then there are those moments where miracles do seem to occur.

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

sjms wrote:
by the time our OS will not accept CS6,

+1 @ that's gonna be a while.

I'm not looking for another company to develop/provide a product to jump ship with in that time ... I'm looking for Adobe to get their head back on straight as they come to realize the error of their strategy. The $10/month pricing is an indication of hope that they may come around to their senses (customer based driven) if sufficient time is allotted for it to occur. Adobe should have plenty of time to get things lined out long before we run into OS compatibility constraints ... even if it takes their bean counters a year or two to get a clue that this was the wrong way to go @ mandatory/stranglehold vs. true option.

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:29 PM
dbehrens
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

skibum5 wrote:
"Worse news: a rep just told someone that the $10 plan lasts forever* so long as you keep paying and sign up by 2014.

*#define FOREVER 12 MONTHS
"

Yeah they really need you to be able to keep whatever you get to after say every 2 or 3 years of renting. But then they are afraid you will quit for 2-4 years before starting again I'm sure.

I think they may have to cave. Their net revenue was only 34% for the first six months of this year what it was for the first six months of last year. (OTOH their net revenue
...Show more

This is all confusing. On the DPReview site they report "The Photoshop Photography Program gives users Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, Bridge CC, Behance, and 20GB of storage for $9.99 per month. That price will never change, as long as you sign up before the end of this year."

IF that is true then its a very good deal. Anyway we have between now and end of year to hopefully confirm what is the real deal.

Sep 06, 2013 at 02:28 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

I don't think Adobe is back tracking on this. The corporate users are on board as they upgrade all the time anyways. Independent pro's are pretty much in the same situation and they have a lot of incentive to stay inline with corporate software. This $10/month deal from Adobe is a reasonable price if you upgrade every two years and a lot of users do that. Who's left, and is it a big enough percentage of the user base for the bean counters at Adobe to care about them?

I don't see the PS alternative coming out any time soon. Anything written to the level of PS will take a lot of resources and development and if you take for granted that the above markets are staying with Adobe how are they going to pay for those development costs?

The one company that has those resources is Apple. If they expanded the role of Aperture to take on more and more of the role of PS they might have a viable alternative to the LR/PS combo. The problem is, whose to say that they don't find the CC license model just as enticing as Adobe plus they have so far shown no inclination to port Aperture to the PC which is still the largest market.

Like it or not, a lot of the hand wringing in these forums is wishful thinking.

Sep 06, 2013 at 03:16 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

dbehrens wrote:
This is all confusing. On the DPReview site they report "The Photoshop Photography Program gives users Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, Bridge CC, Behance, and 20GB of storage for $9.99 per month. That price will never change, as long as you sign up before the end of this year."

IF that is true then its a very good deal. Anyway we have between now and end of year to hopefully confirm what is the real deal.

If that is true, then it had better be listed under the "terms and conditions" section you agree to. If it's not in writing, then you have yourself a sales person selling you a line of cr@p!! Those that believe it will be "forever" need to better understand how Corporate America really works.

Sep 06, 2013 at 05:47 PM
Jim Sanderson
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

skibum5 wrote:
1. This tells me their plan is a failure. Just hold out folks and they will go back to perpetual licenses. We just have to hope that not to many people go for this. If they hold out it now seems clear Adobe will have to back track.

I don't know. According to the Adobe rep I talked to this price is good for as long as I subscribe. Not just an introductory price. As its half the price per month I've paid averaged out over the last 8 or 9 years, it sounds pretty good for my workflow. Let me say that again. For me, it is about 50% less than what I've paid for in the past.

Sep 06, 2013 at 06:46 PM
amacal1
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

I think the only viable alternatives for PS/Bridge are the camera manufacturer provided applications. I don't know about Nikon, but I've used Canon's DPP is not completely terrible.

PS/Bridge is way better, don't get me wrong. But, I think DPP has a lot less ground to cover to catch up to Adobe RAW/PS/Bridge than any other alternative. If they step up their game a little bit, then Adobe might find they have some serious competition.

Sep 06, 2013 at 06:51 PM
StephenS_CP

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

My issues with Adobe's Cloud offering are not around price. They are around the the industry strategy of "cloud computing", the subscription model, and the future. When you are a subscriber (i.e., renter), where Adobe goes we have a difficult time not following.

In industry terms, "cloud computing" is not about managing software licensing and distribution. It is about hosting the processing and data storage. What Adobe is selling today as "in the cloud" has the application running on our own desktop with our files residing on our own drives and periodic validation that our subscription is still valid. They seem to provide and introductory level of storage for backups, and more significantly, integration into their social media offering Behance. In this mode, the questions about the EULA are probably academic, inoperative an may only pertain to what you publish through Behance, since none of your images resides on their computers or depends on image data being transmitted back and forth.

However, once they have a locked-in subscriber base, I will expect them to start moving to true "cloud computing" in which the application and your files will reside on their servers (or whoever they contract with to provide the physical computing resource) and the only thing that will be on your own desktop are your original uploaded files (and maybe not that if you use the wifi in your camera to upload directly to their cloud), downloads of flattend versions of your post-procesed files, and a browser-based interface that transmits what you see on your screen, and instructions for what adjustments you want to make, back and forth. Then the EULA issues will no longer be academic.

They will sell that as cost savings to you since you don't have to provide high-end computing resources for yourself anymore. Commodity-priced desktop/laptop computers capable of supporting a browser and whatever monitor/printer you want to use will be all you have to provide. The sales pitch will be do you want to spend x-dollars/month for a subscription to our latest software, our do you want to make large-scale purchasing decisions to buy a competitor's sophisticated product to replace what you are already using and the high-end computer to run it.

Sep 06, 2013 at 07:32 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Are far as price is concerned I see it like I see a drug dealer "Hey kid the first one's free"!

I totally agree with StephenS_CP. I don't park my car in someone else's garage and I certainly don't want my personal information or work product on someone else's hard drive. That is what cloud computing is all about - storing your files on someone else's computer. Subscriptions are the first step. Not only does it feel unsafe, having so much of everyone's important information concentrated in a few places, it's a privacy issue. The whole cloud industry deserves protests from the people or are we sheeple now?

Sep 06, 2013 at 08:06 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Norman my love wrote:
Are far as price is concerned I see it like I see a drug dealer "Hey kid the first one's free"!

I totally agree with StephenS_CP. I don't park my car in someone else's garage and I certainly don't want my personal information or work product on someone else's hard drive. That is what cloud computing is all about - storing your files on someone else's computer. Subscriptions are the first step. Not only does it feel unsafe, having so much of everyone's important information concentrated in a few places, it's a privacy issue. The whole cloud industry deserves
...Show more

Paranoid or what? Man, if you don't want any of your information out in cyberspace...you are too late. Ever notice the custom ads appear on FM when you log in. Guess what, your every move is already being recorded, stored and analyzed to death.

Sep 06, 2013 at 08:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr Mouse
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ much of others

I think $10/month is actually TOO LOW and it should be around $15/month ...

Before cc the cost of continuous upgrades to Photoshop Standard was $200 every 18 month. Around $11.11 a month. Many Photoshop standard users were not blinded by the cloud they could still see clearly. They are not signing up for the cloud. This offer is just for those Photoshop users an Adobe hook to set to try and keep those users upgrade revenues so there is not a negative impact on Adobe bottom line. Ownership has always been Adobe's ever since they bought it from the brothers Knoll.

I've been using Photoshop for 20 years my tools require Photoshop but not the latest version in fact they work better with CS3 then newer bugger version of Photoshop. I was planing to stay with CS6 for I know where the bugs the effect my tool are. However I would have really missed not having the latest version of ACR. ACR is where the best improvements are being made. Now I can have it without having to pay double the price. I have no intention of installing LR, use cloud space or the other include packages. I don't need 3D either all I want is Photoshop. With Photoshop CC ACR is also now a filter and I'm over 70 I may need camera shake. Perhaps Adobe will even fix some bugs and add fewer. So far I have only seen 219 bug reports files for Photoshop CC where I see 1507 filed on Photoshop CS6.

The price should be around $10 a month for all however Adobe wants double that.... That is a lot of money for a buggy Photoshop.

Sep 06, 2013 at 08:34 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

A man wearing a designer suit, Rolex and alligator skin shoes goes for a walk in a poorish neighbourhood and gets mugged taking a shortcut through an alley. Who's fault is that? Well, obviously you blame a guy for being a victim, but you can't help feeling he could have avoided being mugged by exercising a little forethought and taking the long way round.

A man signs up to a cloud computer service that "promises" never to raise it's prices unreasonably even though they know he has no realistic option to cancel his subscription and take his business elsewhere. They then raise their prices unreasonably. Who's fault is that? Well, obviously you blame a guy for being a victim, but you can't help feeling he could have avoided being mugged by exercising a little forethought....

I'm sorry folks, but with the CC business model you're going to get mugged. It's inevitable, because the customer-vendor balance is just too asymmetric: They have a lot of leverage on you, and you have almost none on them.

Sep 06, 2013 at 08:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

15Bit wrote:
A man wearing a designer suit, Rolex and alligator skin shoes goes for a walk in a poorish neighbourhood and gets mugged taking a shortcut through an alley. Who's fault is that? Well, obviously you blame a guy for being a victim, but you can't help feeling he could have avoided being mugged by exercising a little forethought and taking the long way round.

A man signs up to a cloud computer service that "promises" never to raise it's prices unreasonably even though they know he has no realistic option to cancel his subscription and take his business elsewhere. They
...Show more

and if they do you simply unload the current software you have on and stop you contributions and reload your version you licensed out last that works on your current OS. where is the difficulty here?

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:03 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

sjms wrote:
and if they do you simply unload the current software you have on and stop you contributions and reload your version you licensed out last that works on your current OS. where is the difficulty here?

You probably can't open your images in the standalone version of Photoshop that you still have a license for.

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:09 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

sjms wrote:

PS files created in CC CANNOT be edited by PS CS6 Perpetual. Adobe deliberately and maliciously (IMO) chose to make it that way to prevent the scenario you just described from happening.

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

sjms wrote:
if they do you simply unload the current software you have on and stop you contributions and reload your version you licensed out last that works on your current OS. where is the difficulty here?

The problem they would run into is one of compatibility. The old software they reloaded is not forward compatible with the removed software. Some user assets developed with the removed software require the support the has been unloaded and no longer available.

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:15 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

aubsxc wrote:
PS files created in CC CANNOT be edited by PS CS6 Perpetual. Adobe deliberately and maliciously (IMO) chose to make it that way to prevent the scenario you just described from happening.

You really think so. Can you open up files made with CS6 with your CS1 version?

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:32 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Mr Mouse wrote:
The problem they would run into is one of compatibility. The old software they reloaded is not forward compatible with the removed software. Some user assets developed with the removed software require the support the has been unloaded and no longer available.

I'm sure there will emerge a hack that can migrate your work back 5 years so you can use it on your 5 year old software. Looking forward, not backward.

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:33 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

aubsxc wrote:
Adobe deliberately and maliciously (IMO) chose to make it that way to prevent the scenario you just described from happening.

I would not go that far most old software perhaps all is not forward compatible with newer versions of the software for new features get added.

I do feel Adobe's treatment of the customers is very poor. Adobe support is has a long history of being very poor. Bugs remain in Photoshop release after release.

Then there is that ACR bugaboo where I believe Adobe does deliberately make updated version not work with old versions of Photoshop. ACR is the only Photoshop plugin I know that only works with a particular Photoshop version. I can not believe this is not done by design.

Thing like support and ACR show how little Adobe cares about their customers.

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:38 PM
Hutch
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

aubsxc wrote:

Just saved a test PSD using CC with a new Camera Raw and Shake Reduction Filters and had no problem opening and further editing with CS6 Perpetual. In fact, those layers were still in tact and could be deleted in CS6 when the file was saved as Smart Object. Not denying that couldn't happen in the future, or perhaps you found something I'm unaware of.

Sep 06, 2013 at 09:53 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password