Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

CarlG
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

aubsxc wrote:
The $10/month price goes away if you ever discontinue your subscription, and then resubscribe a few months later. The whole point of having a subscription based service is to allow customers to have flexibility, and not have to pay for the service when they don't need it. But Adobe has tied this special pricing offer (not all that special really) to the condition that you maintain, and pay for your subscription for the rest of your life (or as long as you want to use the software). And you still will never own a perpetual license; your right to use
...Show more

My thoughts EXACTLY, for now. I think the dust still needs to settle on this one.

Sep 05, 2013 at 02:13 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Yes, I think it is clear that Adobe has found the response to the "extortion cloud" to be less than overwhelming at least from the photography community. This offer is pretty much what you would pay if you did an each major upgrade policy with Ps and Lr. Having to think this one over. Hold out in continued protest (CS6 Ps and Lr 4 are working quite well), or take this shot?

Now to address the corporate issues. (1) I'm sure no one believes that this will be the price forever, but it will be bounded by the full CC cloud price. They can't push this up without pushing up CC. (2) Some have mentioned that Adobe's only responsibility is to it's shareholder/bottom line. While this is true in a limited sense it fails to recognize that the only truly valuable thing Adobe has is customers. Think that line over for a moment. If Adobe had only say 10k customers worldwide who would even care what they did? The value of their franchise (and the monopoly rents that they can command) is precisely because they have customers.

I know that b-schools these days teach truly stupid things about systemics, process, quant analysis and virtually nothing about the fact that both employees and customers are human. (Speaking as a former quant professor.)

The stark stupidity of this approach is evident in the declining quality of virtually every large bureaucracy world wide (whether for profit, non-profiit, or governmental). Adobe has a body of code that has value but only if (1) customers will pay for it and (2) it has skilled employees that will create, maintain, service, and sell it.

Adobe has been doing maximum dumb for the last few months. I'll think this one over but certainly won't be jumping on it till late in the offer period if I do at all. Would suggest others to take a similar approach. This is only their opening gambit to the mess they've gotten themselves into. Will be interesting to see if they double down or make further concessions.

Robert

Sep 05, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Well, we're down to only ONE big problem here.

Good news: The pricing is now correct. $10/mo for Photoshop and Lightroom continually is a pretty good price. If you continually get Lightroom upgrades (which is implied, but not specifically stated, which makes me worry a bit), then the price is a good deal IF you would have continued to upgrade forever anyway. $120 a year and $180/18 months is cheaper than the $199 upgrade that typically was used every 18 months for photoshop, plus you get Lightroom in the deal too. Since I already own LR 5, it's not a big deal for this, but if the pricing includes all upgrades for LR as well, it's much lower cost.

That's tempting.

Bad news: If you ever stop paying, you lose the latest version. This does NOTHING to address that, and as such, tempting as it is, I do not want to be locked into paying for my software perpetually in order to keep what I've already paid for. If I am part of this program for 5 years, then decide to stop, that's $600 I've paid for Photoshop and at the end I'm still stuck with CS6, which I have now. And that's IF they don't ever raise prices on this deal, which I doubt they won't.

Adobe: This is close, but still no cigar. Want me to sign up for CC? I will...IF you allow me to keep the latest version if I stop paying. (if you want to make a yearly commitment a requirement for this capability, and each yearly commitment nets you one year's version of CC, then I'm OK with that) THAT will make me sign up. Otherwise..nope.

Sep 05, 2013 at 02:58 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Shrug,
I will still NEVER purchase any Adobe product any more.
As an avid LRX/CSX user, I am still angry over their arrogance and lies.
CS6, LR4 was it for me, no more Adobe products, nevermore.

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:31 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

I'm still waiting to see who steps up to the plate as a real, "viable" alternative to PS. We all speculated a few months ago that some software company might, but that has not happened yet. Maybe they were waiting to see how the dust settled on this before trudging forward? Who knows, but I think the time is right for some "real" competition (IMO - Capture One is not the alternative).

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:52 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

$10/month seems pretty reasonable to me but I'm going to wait a bit as LR4 and CS5 are still handling my photo work quite well. I'm also thinking about making the switch to a Mac this Fall so I would probably do it then. I want to see if Apple upgrades Aperture as well.

Sep 05, 2013 at 04:20 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

CarlG wrote:
I'm still waiting to see who steps up to the plate as a real, "viable" alternative to PS. We all speculated a few months ago that some software company might, but that has not happened yet. Maybe they were waiting to see how the dust settled on this before trudging forward? Who knows, but I think the time is right for some "real" competition (IMO - Capture One is not the alternative).

Well ... it's going to take more time than has passed since May of this year to engineer a true competitive option to Ps ... Rome wasn't built in a day and all that ... If an option arrives that can go head-to-head with at least the core functionality of Photoshop ... it's going to take more time to develop properly to that point.

ggreene wrote:
$10/month seems pretty reasonable to me but I'm going to wait a bit as LR4 and CS5 are still handling my photo work quite well. I'm also thinking about making the switch to a Mac this Fall so I would probably do it then. I want to see if Apple upgrades Aperture as well.

Same here ... there is really no reason to jump on the wagon the minute it starts in motion ... better to take some time and see what else may enter the fray ... besides, our perpetual versions of Ps don't have an expiration date. We can bide out time until the end of the year to make a better informed decision.

Sep 05, 2013 at 05:34 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

DON'T give in. The cloud sucks. Write a nasty letter and let them know photographers do not want out stuff on their Cloud. I'm sticking to CS5, my last retail box Version. I hope they go broke along with every other company trying to force us to work on the could.

Sep 05, 2013 at 06:14 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Well that lasted long! So much for the illusion that you'd get the $10 a month forever so long as you never missed a payment and signed up in time:

A quote from another forum:
" From their online support

Janella: I do understand your concern, however, price are subject to change at any time. For the first 12 months, the price for the bundle Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 will remain same i.e US$9.99 per month

Looks like after 12 months they can change the "standard" "non-introductory" price to whatever they like. I suspect what they are trying to suggest is that it won't double like the trial price of the whole cloud membership, but who the hell knows. They could just discontinue it after a year.
"

To which I say, wow, seriously? Because in some of the later semi-clarifications they made it sound like it for for life, so long as you never missed a payment and signed up before 2014.

Yeah so everyone seriously needs to NOT do this. Gotta force them back.

Adobe: You must never again leave the cloud and bring your $35.00 a month to my bank account!
Lando: This deal keeps getting worse all the time!

Sep 05, 2013 at 07:50 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Jman13 wrote:
Well, we're down to only ONE big problem here.

Good news: The pricing is now correct. $10/mo for Photoshop and Lightroom continually is a pretty good price. If you continually get Lightroom upgrades (which is implied, but not specifically stated, which makes me worry a bit), then the price is a good deal IF you would have continued to upgrade forever anyway. $120 a year and $180/18 months is cheaper than the $199 upgrade that typically was used every 18 months for photoshop, plus you get Lightroom in the deal too. Since I already own LR 5, it's not a
...Show more

"Worse news: a rep just told someone that the $10 plan lasts forever* so long as you keep paying and sign up by 2014.

*#define FOREVER 12 MONTHS
"

Yeah they really need you to be able to keep whatever you get to after say every 2 or 3 years of renting. But then they are afraid you will quit for 2-4 years before starting again I'm sure.

I think they may have to cave. Their net revenue was only 34% for the first six months of this year what it was for the first six months of last year. (OTOH their net revenue was still very high so they can survive, but all the same, it can't make the top execs look good, although they have apparently promised that they knew it would decline for a while only to rise beyond any stock holder's wildest dreams after three years and everyone realizes they love the cloud and/or realize they have to come back.)

Sep 05, 2013 at 07:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

aubsxc wrote:
The $10/month price goes away if you ever discontinue your subscription, and then resubscribe a few months later. The whole point of having a subscription based service is to allow customers to have flexibility, and not have to pay for the service when they don't need it. But Adobe has tied this special pricing offer (not all that special really) to the condition that you maintain, and pay for your subscription for the rest of your life (or as long as you want to use the software). And you still will never own a perpetual license; your right to use
...Show more

And a rep has now already confirmed that the price may go away after the first 12 months even if you don't miss any payments. Each year they can decided to re-price.

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:03 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

skibum5 wrote:
And a rep has now already confirmed that the price may go away after the first 12 months even if you don't miss any payments. Each year they can decided to re-price.

Any increase in this "deal" (heavy sarcasm here), will be bounded by the price of the CC suite. They have to keep this somewhere well below the cost of the whole enchilada otherwise it won't attract anyone. Having said that, Im sure Adobe's bean counters already have laid out a yearly (or who knows how often) step by step increase in the CC subscription price thus justifying the quarterly bottom line and the price of its stock.

Only a fool would believe that Adobe won't continually raise the cost of its "captive" customers until such time as technology changes or a viable alternative appears - which it will. For proof of the concept, examine the price of Microsoft's system upgrades as first Apple became a more viable alternative, and then - more importantly - a huge chunk of existing and most critically new customers just didn't buy into the desktop as tool and went to phones, pads, etc. (Whether one moribund monopoly buying another failed one equals a new monopoly is an entire different conversation )

Doesn't help us in the short term other than current software is "pretty good" and I intend to just keep the hand I've got.

Robert

Sep 05, 2013 at 09:19 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

skibum5 wrote:

So much for that pitch. The $10/month pricing for perpetuity, or even the foreseeable future, was the ONLY part of the deal that looked even remotely attractive. Adobe must have a really low opinion of their customers' intellect, and/or they are getting terrible advice from overcompensated executives.

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:08 PM
bdickers
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Still...NO. For the same reason I don't lease cars. I refuse to pay for something I'll never own.

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:47 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

At least with a leased car you have the option to buy when the lease ends. With Adobe CC, not only will you never own the license, you will not be able to edit your cc files with the software license you paid all that money for before cc existed.

Sep 05, 2013 at 11:55 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Adobe: Please, please, please, won't you please now buy some cloud?

Me: Ahahahahahah! >snort< (Oops, excuse me...I think I dribbled.)

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:42 AM
fotoasart

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

No Adobe. NO.

Sorry, Im not going there. I used PS and bridge and by the time our OS will not accept CS6, there will be a replacement for PS by another company. We can wait for another product.

Sep 06, 2013 at 02:38 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Lost in all the chatter over the new price is the matter of the EULA. The original contained a few landmines and poisonous barbs. Has any of that changed?

Sep 06, 2013 at 08:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

and then you simply quit and place your licensed copy of PS/LR you already have back on your computer

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:17 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

+1 @ much of others

The cloud CC concept as an OPTION is really a pretty cool thing for folks who could never afford the entry price into the top tier Adobe products as a "lease/rental" program. The pricing at $10/mo sounds pretty good. Personally, I think $10/month is actually TOO LOW and it should be around $15/month ... as an OPTIONAL LEASE/RENTAL PROGRAM. The lease/rental program SHOULD cost more than the OWNERSHIP program. (value of time/money)

The problem is that Adobe is trying to replace the traditional ownership program with a mandatory perpetual contract program instead of adding it to their stable of offerings. Adding it as an OPTION that doesn't try to wrangle away ownership is adding service to a broader customer base and that is a good thing. Forcing customers into it, not so much.

Consider your internet modem ... you can purchase a modem, or you can rent a modem for your cable provider. Ultimately, the cost of the rental program will cost more than the purchase price of the modem and the cable company makes more money in the long run from you renting your modem. No foul, they are offering you an option to entry and it is your choice. Is it equitable to you purchasing it outright ... nope, but it doesn't need to be. I can't think of any RENTAL programs that are the same (or less) as their purchased counterparts when annualized. If they were ... who'd every buy anything?

Imo, neither does the pricing structure of the CC cloud need to be on par with purchasing (over a given duration) ... as long as it is an OPTIONAL rental/lease program that does not preclude/penalize ownership. The crux of the matter for me is the "gotcha" @ mandatory stranglehold approach to eliminate ownership vs. optional creative offering to add rental for some.

Edited on Sep 06, 2013 at 01:22 PM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:21 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password