Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/04/adobes-giving-photogs-a-crazy-deal-on-creative-cloud-tools-10-per-month/

Sep 04, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

well thats a much better offer . signs that Adobe are feeling the 'pinch' on CC takeup for non corporates i would say

i would if i wasnt happy with CS6 and already have LR5 probably jump on that deal .
but then i bet as a UK resident i wouldnt qualify anyway !

Sep 04, 2013 at 06:32 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Here is another link PS + LR Cloud

It is a much better deal for sure.
I just received my boxed version of LR5 too, but have not opened the box yet....decisions, decisions.

Sep 04, 2013 at 06:37 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Once the fish is on the line, he's yours. The trick is getting him to bite...

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:25 PM
amacal1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

and if you don't already have cs3 or newer?

... you're still out of luck, apparently. Yay. (Not)

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:38 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

tempting
I have CS4. I had resigned to stopping there because of upgrade costs, then the Cloud costs. I have LR4. I tend to upgrade with each new edition. So I end up spending about $100 every 2 years + cost of CS4. The new deal doesnt shut me out, probably doubles my cost, but with the edition of new PS so I think its a good deal.
I got their survey a few months back, feeling out what the market might bear. And was very negative about any further use of PS, especially since LR does so much for me except good cloning, and Nik does so much as well.
Anyhow, I will probably bite.
Curious how others view this.

Thanks for the links, heads up.
Scott

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:37 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

1. This tells me their plan is a failure. Just hold out folks and they will go back to perpetual licenses. We just have to hope that not to many people go for this. If they hold out it now seems clear Adobe will have to back track.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:04 PM
dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Just checked the Adobe site. So far no postings of this yet.

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

2. from someone else from another forum:" Please don't be confused, Adobe is, I believe, a publicly traded company...and as such they are only answerable to the shareholders for providing them profit.<P>
The customers are just a necessity to do this, but the customer is not their primary concern or obligation.

Once I got this concept down, I can easily understand what corporations are trying to do, maximize shareholder profits, nothing more.

It isn't personal, it is purely business....the only way the consumer can fight back, is with the pocketbook."

----------------

Which is why I wonder about the extreme fanboy reaction to defend a company's honor to the utmost these days when so many companies clearly do everything they can to get away maximally taking advantage of their own customers and fanboys. Some even carry out studies to test out how far they possibly push annoy hurt and anger customers without quite losing enough to hurt them. Some then try to push it even yet a bit farther and get burned.
If the companies are free to do that why do the lemmings have to clap and applaud it? They aren't looking out for the best of the customer (and maybe you can't blame them) so why does the customer have to look out for the best for them (can you blame them if they then complain)?

Not that you should get too carried companies do have to make money and they support workers etc. Just if they really start going overboard beyond overboard about things.

Edited on Sep 05, 2013 at 08:04 PM · View previous versions

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

3. Do they take away the perpetual license for CS3-CS6 that people had with this deal or not?

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Interesting that they formally announce this yet it is not on their site;

ADOBE CC Options

I do like what 15 Bit says:
Once the fish is on the line, he's yours. The trick is getting him to bite...

Edited on Sep 04, 2013 at 09:17 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:06 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

4. By saying it is not an introductory price they seem to be implying that you would get $10 forever so long as you never stop paying at any point. True? Or are they being real weasels and mean that is not an introductory price in that it will not always be introductory for $10 for a few months for everyone but only for those who sign up by December and then they get a special price of $10 for a few months or something, that would be really stoatish way to expect it to be parsed though, not sure even Adobe would pull that?? I imagine it is $10 forever for anyone who signs up before 2014.

It still doesn't really seem like anything special though, if you only ever used PS and never lightroom, compared to the old model. This is $360 every three years. That seems to be, at best, no worse than before, if even, and potentially a fair amount worse.

And this whole magic cloud talk is just so ridiculous. How the heck did many people get the products before. Downloaded from the internet from Adobe. How do you get the magic 'creative' cloud version you download the same thing from the internet from Adobe. It magically gives you updates along the way!! Yeah after you downoad the updates to your computer.... just like how you downloaded updated to the non-CC version before! What the heck is the difference? It's the exact same thing 100%! How is something that is the exact same as formerly existed creative? The only difference is that they now charge per month with no continued usage and before you paid and owned it.

Rental vs ownership that is THE only difference. They should call it Adobe Rental not Adobe CC.

The whole cloud thing is such a big bunch of nonsense made up by marketing psychologists to come up with pretty terms to manipulate customers. The do such things in politics all the time too. They actually write internal documents where political teams often in league with lawyers and representatives from big business players and industries (who in many times even do all of the work and sometimes even write entire bills along with terms to try to make the bills appear to be something good for everyone) and discuss what terms the public has caught onto and what new terms they need to come up with to deceive the public over all sorts of issues. They do it a lot for environmental issues.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:07 PM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Don't fall for it. Nothing says what the price will be next month and next year or if the perceived advantages that hooked you in the first place will still be there. (Remember how cable was the "commercial free" choice? Of my 240 channels, 50% are commercials-ONLY channels and all the others have commercials as well.)

Think about what they tell you versus their incentives. They tell you that with a subscription you will always have the latest versions. Under the perpetual license model, they only made money when they delivered new versions with enough great features that would convince you to buy. Under the rental model, they make continuous cash flow regardless of whether or not they deliver. In fact, profits would decline if they DID do a lot of R&D to deliver new versions. So, which business model do YOU think is in YOUR best interest?

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:31 PM
wtlloyd
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

this faq answers the most pertinent questions

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html#pslr-bundle

signups start Sept 17

deal is available to CS3 and newer owners, until Dec 31 - if you let membership lapse, you do not get this pricing again.

Current CC members may be able to convert, call Adobe (see faq for contact info)

Sep 04, 2013 at 10:46 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

"However, for organizations such as government agencies and educational institutions that are unable to deploy cloud services, we offer Creative Cloud desktop apps through a Creative Cloud Desktop Applications subscription for government agencies, and via the Adobe Education Enterprise Agreement (EEA) for educational institutions through the channel."

I thought they said it would be a development nightmare to offer both rentals and perpetual licenses going forward and yet for educational and governmental institutions apparently they will offer them with the old software loaders still, so much for that claim. It is simply that they chose to only rent software from now on.

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:26 PM
amacal1
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

I'm chatting with them right now. The CS person I'm chatting with confirmed the offer. They also don't seem willing to make any exceptions for not having had CS3 or later (it was worth a shot, maybe).

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:24 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

irish-george wrote:
Under the rental model, they make continuous cash flow regardless of whether or not they deliver. In fact, profits would decline if they DID do a lot of R&D to deliver new versions. So, which business model do YOU think is in YOUR best interest?

This is my biggest concern with the CC license model ... there is no guarantee that subscribers will receive any significant features in the future ... but Adobe IS guaranteed an income regardless of what effort they put forth ... or if they decide to add any new features beyond new Camera RAW support and/or updates to accommodate future OS and hardware issues.

Just like Adobe, it's my bottom line I am more concerned with ... the price point of CC, even for the full version is not an issue for me, I can afford whatever I choose to spend ... If money were the issue, I wouldn't have spent so much on cameras, lenses, lighting, etc. over the past many decades ... what is important to me is if the investment I would make with Adobe for the privilege of use of their software would enhance my livelihood to the same degree or greater if I used either what I already have, or options from other developers who don't include an expiration date with their products.

So far, I'm remain convinced the latter is the more sound plan for the long term.

Either way, we still have until Dec. 31 to evaluate the offer ... there is no reason to jump through the hoop any earlier than necessary ... other than to give Adobe a few extra months of rental fees.

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

Been using Photoshop since PS3 skipped some upgrades did PS3, PS5, PS7, CS, CS2, CS3, CS5 and CS6. I would not do Photoshop CC it cost was high at $20 a month and there are too many bugs. But in a couple of weeks I will most likely go for Adobe Photography Program At $10 a month. Its the same cost I was use to with old Photoshop Standard Upgrades since Adobe was putting in place a policy that all upgrade must be purchased.

Photoshop CC is Photoshop Extended so I get more and I want the latest ACR. I'll not be using the other things included with the exception of Photoshop CC Upgrades and hopefully bug fixes. Still I feel $10 a month is a good price. Adobe state if they stop developing Photoshop they will make the last version permanent and free for current users. Which is acceptable for me.

Still I am a users that is highly critical about Adobe abandoning the photography market which is what Adobe is still doing. Let face it this package is not aimed at the photographers it is aimed at old Photoshop user that did not like that Adobe doubled the cost of using Photoshop and would not go for CC. While I'll most likely will opt for this deal for it does not increase my cost of Photoshop. The deal is limited to old customers and and goes away year end. So Adobe is still abandoning the photography market. Adobe is just trying to hang on to old Photoshop customers and not loose their upgrade money. Hook more fish.

Edited on Sep 05, 2013 at 06:13 PM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2013 at 02:31 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

$10/mo seems like a reasonable deal ... to bad everyone just can't sign up for it. I'll probably just stick with LR5 & CS6 for a while longer.

Sep 05, 2013 at 04:55 AM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Adobe offerts Photoshop+Lightning cloud for $9.99/mo

The $10/month price goes away if you ever discontinue your subscription, and then resubscribe a few months later. The whole point of having a subscription based service is to allow customers to have flexibility, and not have to pay for the service when they don't need it. But Adobe has tied this special pricing offer (not all that special really) to the condition that you maintain, and pay for your subscription for the rest of your life (or as long as you want to use the software). And you still will never own a perpetual license; your right to use the software goes away the day you stop making payments.

I am sticking to my CS6 perpetual license, thank you very much, rather than use CC at this "special" price for a couple of years and then be left with a bunch of files that I cannot edit with the CS6 perpetual software that I paid Adobe a lot of money for.

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:37 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password