Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2013 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

ISO1600
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

You could theoretically use your phone to set up the framing, mount the QX on something (think gorilla pod, super clamp), turn the phone off and hit record. Shoot some remote video. Could be cool for gopro situations that don't need weatherproofing or ruggedness.

Sep 06, 2013 at 02:04 PM
snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

eosfun wrote:
As I mentioned above, Sony released it's API for third party app developers for the latest cameras in Sony NEX line and the QX-es. There is now a link to this platform agnostic development environment on Sony's WEBsite. Mind that the site is not yet updated for the latest NEX cameras (NEX 6, NEX 5R NEX5T) but the API developement kit is already compatible with these cameras, just like the QX-es discussed in this topic.

http://camera.developer.sony.com/

I read through the API. It's pretty thin in regards what functions you can control. Hopefully they'll expand it in the future.

Sep 06, 2013 at 02:16 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

artd wrote:
But that's not your only option. The thing has a range of about 30 feet from what I gather. That means you can set down the lens in one spot and walk over to another spot. Or even be in another room, for that matter. Mount it on a tripod and walk in front with your phone and set upt a self portrait. Mount it on a Gorillapod and set up crazy shooting angles.

The whole point is that being able to have your lens physically detached from your viewscreen will open up new options for how to take advantage of
...Show more

might be able to get some interesting animal shots/video

Sep 07, 2013 at 06:39 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

snapsy wrote:
I read through the API. It's pretty thin in regards what functions you can control. Hopefully they'll expand it in the future.

I guess you read the API for the HDRAS15 the action cam, which is mainly a video cam with a more limited feature set as such. The NEX5 and 6 already have a much more extensive function set that is programmable via the API. Also Sony did indeed announce additional releases with more camera support and extra function sets for the end of this month. This is a promising initiative. Hopefully third party developers will jump ship and create interesting apps.

Sep 07, 2013 at 05:08 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

eosfun wrote:
I guess you read the API for the HDRAS15 the action cam, which is mainly a video cam with a more limited feature set as such. The NEX5 and 6 already have a much more extensive function set that is programmable via the API. Also Sony did indeed announce additional releases with more camera support and extra function sets for the end of this month. This is a promising initiative. Hopefully third party developers will jump ship and create interesting apps.

I read their Camera Remote API V1.00, which covers the NEX cameras. The API in its current form has only basic camera control primitives like "take a photograph", "shoot a movie", along with a mechanism for a LV feed. I don't even see the ability to set basic parameters like aperture or shutter speed.

Sep 07, 2013 at 05:49 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

I was thinking about the QX and how it would relate to my shooting style this weekend.

1) No ISO control.
2) No Manual.
3) No Shutter Priority.

I'm OK with auto-ISO, IF I can set the shutter speed.
Failing that, Manual works just fine.
With auto-ISO and no shutter priority, I'd be concerned about awful shutter speeds in low light, which is the only time this would give me much advantage over just using my phone, which takes great pics in the daytime.

Therefore- in it's initial state, this thing is a bust.

Sep 09, 2013 at 12:03 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

And this is why Sony is in the dumps. Incredible solutions to nobody's problem.

Just the right balance of features to exclude every buying segment. Too big and expensive for instragrammers, too poorly implemented and featured for enthusiasts.

Sep 09, 2013 at 12:50 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

That is also what they said when Apple released the iPad. Not powerful enough to replace a computer, not small enough to replace a phone.
Now that doesn't mean that all innovations are iPad-sized success-stories, but I think Sony deserve a huge show of hands for being creative and daring.
I for one think Sony have re-invented the compact camera. Good enough to greatly outperform a cellphone (and, for the QX-100, most compacts as well). Yet integrated to the cellphone, unlike a separate compact camera.
I will have to try how easy the integration and UI turn out to be, but I think I have a QX-100 with my name on it.

Sep 09, 2013 at 01:18 PM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

FlyPenFly wrote:
And this is why Sony is in the dumps. Incredible solutions to nobody's problem.

Just the right balance of features to exclude every buying segment. Too big and expensive for instragrammers, too poorly implemented and featured for enthusiasts.

Negative nancy. In the dumps?! I love my nex-7 and I think the nex-line is great.

Sep 09, 2013 at 01:32 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

philber-

I LOVE the concept of this thing. I know from what I've seen this sensor and lens do, that it will be capable of doing awesome things. They SHOULD be able to fix all these limitations in firmware updates, or possibly through the API they have released.
Once these issues are addressed, it'll probably kick ass.

Sep 09, 2013 at 01:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Not really comparable at all to the iPad. In the US at least, it was highly anticipated and rumored. Nobody will be camping out in front of the Sony store for this thing. This contraption will struggle to find a market. The best it could hope for is a place in the Sony museum for interesting looking thing nobody wanted.

And yes, Sony is Struggling to stay alive in electronics right now mostly due to their tv business evaporating but the imaging division isn't doing great either when cyber shot sales tanked like everyone else but Sony relied on this market far more than canikon.

I wish they were doing better but they need to completely restructure their consumer electronics division because its obviously not working.

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:02 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

FlyPenFly wrote:
Nobody will be camping out in front of the Sony store for this thing.

Let's see... Amazon top digital camera sales, all kinds, number 1 and 2...
I think you are completely wrong, people are starving for something new, even if just for fun.
This is new and it's fun

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:28 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Panem et Circenses....

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:38 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

In my view, it follows the direction initiated by Apple with portability and connectivity. It is a "phone extension", and there is a humongous demand for such services, as evidenced by camera phones, phone-borne music and all other phone-borne applications. If Sony sell only 0.1% lens-cameras to smartphone owners, it will be HUGE.
We will see...

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:02 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

snowboarder wrote:
Let's see... Amazon top digital camera sales, all kinds, number 1 and 2...
I think you are completely wrong, people are starving for something new, even if just for fun.
This is new and it's fun

Why do people love citing this thing for every single new camera? It's meaningless.

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:06 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Here's my QX10 review: http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/sony-cyber-shot-qx10-digital-camera-review

Sep 18, 2013 at 02:04 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Very interesting! Thanks!

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:02 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

I agree with snowboarder's sentiment. I think people are very quickly outgrowing apple.

Also, with iOS 7 being a disaster, as far as I'm concerned. They have to act people will jump for a new toy that's cooler. And they're coming.

Not sure if this is it or not.

Rx100 phone. I'm in.

I typed that before i read the review above(thanks)

I was totally unaware they had that sensor in there

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:31 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

There are two models, h00ligan. The QX10 is the lesser of the two. The other costs twice as much and has the RX100II sensor.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM
artd
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

FlyPenFly wrote:
Why do people love citing this thing for every single new camera? It's meaningless.

It does mean one thing. People are buying it.

People buying it = not a failure.

Sep 18, 2013 at 02:41 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password