Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Jonas B
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

ISO1600 wrote:
"something for the brats only"....... Maybe I'm missing something, or something is lost in translation haha.

Yes, something lost in translation. I checked it up and we obviously use this foreign word a little different. So scrap that.

What I wanted to say is that it seem to be a gadget mainly (but not only) for those wanting to build something around their phone and then preferably something coming with bragging rights. Some of the customers will be brats no doubt, most will not.

I hope coming models will be equipped with faster, also if bigger, lenses, allow raw format and suddenly become a serious tool for anyone seeing it is possible to take images in other ways than lifting a complete camera in front of them.

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:46 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.4 #2 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

ahh yes, that makes sense.
Yeah, this is the ultimate tech-gadget/accessory.

I can't remember who said it earlier in the thread, but this sensor/tech paired with a simple 28, 35, or even 40/50mm equiv lens would probably be much more compact and probably cost less.

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:20 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.4 #3 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Somewhere in the beginning of the thread I mentioned I want an RX1 version of the concept. It's probably a naturally thing that many here have problems grasping the concept. Remember how the guys at DPR once said "...a solution looking for a problem." when reviewing the first Live View DSLR.

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:36 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Judging by the depth of the QX100 compared to the Rx100, I'm guessing that the battery power that it takes to power the larger sensors requires making the unit longer for battery space. A fixed lens aps-c or larger version of this may be at least as big as the QX100. If they could make a fixed, 35mm version at the same size as the QX10, though, I'd consider it.

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:45 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.4 #5 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Battery/mounting parts has to be what makes it so deep.

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:25 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.4 #6 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

snapsy wrote:
I'm a huge Sony fan and think this is an incredibly innovative product but I wouldn't conflate skepticism with outrage. I wonder how a man would carry this device in his pocket. It's about 2.5" around. I can see a woman carrying it in her purse but its size appears to require a separate camera case for a guy to carry.

you are cute, but I'm afraid that's just my QX100

perhaps "outrage" is hyperbole, but skepticism implies rationality and consideration. Knee-jerk skepticism is just "get off my lawn!"

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:38 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

This has the potential to be great, easy to stick in the pocket of a cycling jersey with a smart phone in another pocket. Biggest downfall, however, is that it can't shoot RAW. They need to fix that in the Mk II.

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:41 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.4 #8 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

RAW certainly could be added in firmware.

Sep 05, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.4 #9 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

ISO1600 wrote:
RAW certainly could be added in firmware.

Then we have to hope for a big buffer! I'm sure products like these will mature into super interesting things.

Sep 05, 2013 at 05:37 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.4 #10 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Nanh wrote: The omission of the ISO and the manual mode is probably just due to the unfinished state of their smartphone app(seems they are no good with smartphone app development). If there is demand I'm sure the missing features will be delivered through an update. What is better is if they could open up and provide an API to let developers develop their own camera apps.

You asked for it yesterday, today Sony publishes their API. Amongst the cameras already compliant with this API are alt board favorites like NEX-6, Nex-5R, the recently announced NEX-5T, and the by many enthusiast photographers sceptically received DSC-QX100 / DSC-QX10 lenscameras. This is promising, not just for the users of these cameras, but in general Sony seems to be very serious about the "open camera" concept. It's a matter of time until these QX models will get a their lacking features for a great part through smartphone apps.

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

ISO1600 wrote:
I really want to try a QX and RX100(M2) in hand and pocket. I need to see what the dimensions are like, and how pocketable each one is. This will probably be the most important factor for me- if I still need to carry a bag, then neither is a winner.

RX100M2 is definitely pocketable. You can just about always have it with you when out (unless swimming or while playing sports).

Sep 06, 2013 at 12:22 AM
artd
• • •
p.4 #12 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

I think people are looking at this very narrowly. Yes, this is designed to mount on a smart phone. But it connects to your phone via wifi. And you don't need to have it mounted to your phone to shoot.

In other words, imagine you could detach your viewfinder from your camera. People think articulating LCD screens are great? Now you can have a screen that is far more flexible in terms of positioning than an articulating screen could hope to be. Your viewfinder is no longer attached to your lens. I think that opens up a lot of creative shooting possibilities.

Don't be so quick to be dismissive of this concept. The online camera forums may not believe it yet, but people are going to do a lot of creative things with these lens-cameras. Personally I think this is one of the coolest ideas that has come along in awhile.

Sep 06, 2013 at 05:05 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.4 #13 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Yes, but the problem I have is that with the lens detached, you're left operating your smartphone with one hand, and that just drives me nuts. I was so glad when someone told me that you can use the +volume button on an iPhone as the shutter control!

Sep 06, 2013 at 05:34 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.4 #14 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

So it can be used with a tablet also I guess? Nice.

Sep 06, 2013 at 06:55 AM
Dustoff06
• •
p.4 #15 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Not as universal, but much cheaper alternative.

http://www.izzigadgets.com/orbit

Sep 06, 2013 at 11:42 AM
FStrikwerda

p.4 #16 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Yes, initially cheaper. But when you buy a new phone you have to buy a new Orbit.

Sep 06, 2013 at 12:20 PM
sorpa
• •
p.4 #17 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

No RAW? Not interested.
Not even IS? That`s already outrageous.
I`ll be waiting for the next generation.

Sep 06, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.4 #18 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Dustoff06 wrote:

Hmm. Not the same idea at all.

I noticed this link over at a DPR forum. Somebody at Sony must have seen that as well (maybe they even bought the idea?).

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:18 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.4 #19 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

As I mentioned above, Sony released it's API for third party app developers for the latest cameras in Sony NEX line and the QX-es. There is now a link to this platform agnostic development environment on Sony's WEBsite. Mind that the site is not yet updated for the latest NEX cameras (NEX 6, NEX 5R NEX5T) but the API developement kit is already compatible with these cameras, just like the QX-es discussed in this topic.

http://camera.developer.sony.com/

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:55 PM
artd
• • •
p.4 #20 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Yes, but the problem I have is that with the lens detached, you're left operating your smartphone with one hand, and that just drives me nuts. I was so glad when someone told me that you can use the +volume button on an iPhone as the shutter control!

But that's not your only option. The thing has a range of about 30 feet from what I gather. That means you can set down the lens in one spot and walk over to another spot. Or even be in another room, for that matter. Mount it on a tripod and walk in front with your phone and set upt a self portrait. Mount it on a Gorillapod and set up crazy shooting angles.

The whole point is that being able to have your lens physically detached from your viewscreen will open up new options for how to take advantage of that capability.

Yes, a traditional camera will do a lot of things better. But the QX will also do a lot of things that a traditional camera can't do so easily. It doesn't need to be the perfect tool for everyone. Those who are into it will have fun with it and do creative things with it

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:58 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password