Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

ISO1600
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

At this point I'm much more interested in spending $500 towards a lens, new phone, or new camera, than either QX.

Used X100: ~$500
Sony 18-105: $590
Moto X (once it's avail from Google or Motorolla not tied to a carrier): ~$300-$575?
etc etc etc

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:07 PM
uhoh7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

ISO1600 wrote:
Where is this coming from?

SAR

it never ceases to amaze me the degree of outrage when we get a innovative product, like the original nex, or this thing which gives unprecedented image quality for the size of camera.

What no fully manual mode? OMG! No one will buy them. Brats will buy them. "low brow" non-photographers will buy them.

I'm not that young, but they look cool and potentially very useful to me. Will I buy one? I already have an RX100, so maybe not short term--need all my dough for FF nex, but that won't stop me admiring innovation.

Go Sony!!!

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:36 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.3 #3 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

uhoh, I'm VERY interested in the QX100, but I just really feel that I could spend my money more wisely to get what I want in a pocket/portable camera. I already have a NEX-6, I'm just looking for a simple/compact AF option.
Not sure if $500 is the right spot for this thing.

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:44 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.3 #4 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

uhoh7 wrote:
it never ceases to amaze me the degree of outrage when we get a innovative product, like the original nex, or this thing which gives unprecedented image quality for the size of camera.

What no fully manual mode? OMG! No one will buy them. Brats will buy them. "low brow" non-photographers will buy them.

I'm not that young, but they look cool and potentially very useful to me. Will I buy one? I already have an RX100, so maybe not short term--need all my dough for FF nex, but that won't stop me admiring innovation.

Go Sony!!!

I'm a huge Sony fan and think this is an incredibly innovative product but I wouldn't conflate skepticism with outrage. I wonder how a man would carry this device in his pocket. It's about 2.5" around. I can see a woman carrying it in her purse but its size appears to require a separate camera case for a guy to carry.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:17 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

deleted

Edited on Sep 04, 2013 at 11:39 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:35 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

uhoh7 wrote:
the QX is now the most pre-ordered sony camera in history.

considering how many nex-7s were pre-ordered, I imagine that's a big number.

QX10 version I imagine?

I can't see people liking the QX100 version when it locks out so many critical features considering the cost of it.

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:36 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

alwang wrote:
The QX100 is 56mm deep, even when retracted, so about as deep as it is tall. Not exactly a pancake (unless your local diner has extremely thick pancakes). The RX100 II is 38mm deep.

hmm wow, that IS crazy ungainly then! And it has so many features cut out. Yeah it is $200-250 less than the RX100M2 but it still $500! And it is only $100-150 less than you nab an RX100 for! It seems nuts!

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:38 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

uhoh7 wrote:
SAR

Go Sony!!!

But it turns out the QX100 is more ungainly in the pocket than an entire RX100 would be and you can get a top condition used RX100 for the same price (and this one has a lot more features too). If they had allowed it to do RAW to the microSD and not taken out important controls....

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:41 PM
jusjee
• •
p.3 #9 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

jim bennett wrote:
I am going to go out on a limb here and predict a massive failure at these prices for these two products. I definitely love the idea of it, but they arent going to sell well at these prices.

Nope.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sources-say-qx-is-already-the-most-preordered-sony-camera-in-history/

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:55 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.3 #10 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

skibum5 wrote:
hmm wow, that IS crazy ungainly then! And it has so many features cut out. Yeah it is $200-250 less than the RX100M2 but it still $500! And it is only $100-150 less than you nab an RX100 for! It seems nuts!

I think $500 is perfect. It's a great price for Sony. I want them to be successful, this has to be seen
as a high end product. Tons of guys are buying every new version of the iPhone for $600 and more,
as soon as they think this is cool, they will all want to have it.
I think it's almost too complicated, the audience doesn't care about ISO if the pictures are good.
Can you control ISO in your iPhone camera? This is a step up from that.
It's not supposed to be compared to NEX-7 or RX1.
Again,I welcome any kind of innovation, sick and tired of Canons and Nikons and Apples doing
nothing but milking their aging products, no real change, the same old. I honestly can't believe
Canon can get away with nothing new since 5D Mark One. What a joke.
Sony should be applauded for at least trying something new. RX1 - a FF compact, now QX, all great.
That's enough for me to buy one just to support them. And have some fun with something new.

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • •
p.3 #11 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

jusjee wrote:
Nope.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sources-say-qx-is-already-the-most-preordered-sony-camera-in-history/

To be fair those are retailer pre-orders, based on predicted sell-through demand and not actual customer orders (yet).

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:38 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.3 #12 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

The QX has a shutter release button! Minimalist could glue a optical VF (say from Voigtlander) and take pictures with QX without a smartphone

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:57 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.3 #13 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

If anyone have read Thom in www.bythom.com, he did mentioned a camera attachment concept when Nikon released the Android based coolpix. Now we can see what he's going to say (he seems to think everyone does things wrong and he 's the one who get everything right). Anyway, he should be credited to advocate such concept.

Sep 05, 2013 at 02:02 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

That is for some one who already has every thing.

Sep 05, 2013 at 02:56 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

snowboarder wrote:
I think $500 is perfect. It's a great price for Sony. I want them to be successful, this has to be seen
as a high end product. Tons of guys are buying every new version of the iPhone for $600 and more,
as soon as they think this is cool, they will all want to have it.
I think it's almost too complicated, the audience doesn't care about ISO if the pictures are good.
Can you control ISO in your iPhone camera? This is a step up from that.
It's not supposed to be compared to NEX-7 or RX1.
Again,I welcome any kind of innovation,
...Show more

yeah but I dont get why at the very last step they then go and cripple the firmware on it, what was the point of that? how is that different from Canon?

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:06 AM
TR3B
• • •
p.3 #16 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Ever see a guy at the end of a day of shooting carrying a butt load of gear with a look on his face as if that is the last time he's gonna do that.
This thing will sell like hot cakes to all those guys like me.

Not sellin the Leica though...not yet

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:25 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

According to Amazon, enough people are interested to put them in short supply:

"Note on Availability: Due to high demand we anticipate being unable to fulfill all customer orders with our first allocation. Product supply from Sony is very limited. Your place in line will be maintained, and we will not charge your credit card until we ship the product."

Sep 05, 2013 at 05:00 AM
Nanh

p.3 #18 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

skibum5 wrote:
yeah but I dont get why at the very last step they then go and cripple the firmware on it, what was the point of that? how is that different from Canon?

The omission of the ISO and the manual mode is probably just due to the unfinished state of their smartphone app(seems they are no good with smartphone app development). If there is demand I'm sure the missing features will be delivered through an update. What is better is if they could open up and provide an API to let developers develop their own camera apps.

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:44 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.3 #19 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

The QX10/100 maybe a typical "release 1.0" product, but I guess most of the critique these camera-lenses (or should I say lens-cameras?) are getting today, comes from people who don't understand this product. That by itself is a possible reason for marketing failure, but I am convinced we are seeing products here that indicate where we are heading with photography and video the next few years. Sensor / registration modules, Viewfinders, energy and storage, operations control will become separate functions. In the end for an important part of the photo/video market they will even become separate products. With Google Glass coming, smart watches being introduced, these QX's are just elements of our photographic future in the pipeline.

A great part of the photographers community FM approaches these QX's as camera's with some (major) flaws, a "would-be-RX100" that failed. The DPreview editors misunderstand the product in the same way in my opinion. It's not how I see these products and I am convinced millions of smartphone users don't see them like that. These mini camera's should be seen as high end gadgets to enhance your smartphone. And as such they succeed in adding quite a few qualities and wonderful creative possibilities that smartphone users so far criticized even on the best cameraphones. Let's just see what a QX10/100 adds to your phone:

- better image quality, even if it just approached RX100 image quality this is already a big step forward
- low light photography and high ISO performance
- resolution: 20Mp is a great next level compared to the current breed of phonecams (it's only surpassed by Nokias 41mp sensor)
- independent viewfinder / lens combo, this gives great creative possibilities an RX100 doesn't provide
- image stabilization, a feature very welcome in smartphone photography/videography
- zoom, maybe the one I should have put in the first place, because it's probably the number one feature most casual smartphone photographer miss in their current phonecam
- etc.

With the omnipresence of smartphones and the way people use them it is logical to extend the capabilities of the smartphone. The smartphone has developed itself to the personal information hub the PC once was. With portabilty, GPS, built in cameras, and other features it has become more personal than the PC ever was, and we are going to surround it with all kinds of personal devices that add value. Glasses, watches, earphones, sport devices, etc. Sony did understand that and has become from almost dead two years ago, again very succesful. Please believe me if I say I'm not a Sony fan, actually I dislike the company for its disgusting customer service here in the Netherlands (and I am speaking from the perspective of a retailer who knows what he is talking about), but I have to admit that I admire the company for it's vision and the speed of implementation of that vision. In less than two years Sony has become the largest producer of photographic sensors and integration modules and integration software. Sensors and camera modules in most in China produced smartphones these days are from Sony, and this is also true for Korean smartphones produced for different global brands. The photo experts here know well enough in which photo/video camera brands you'll find Sony sensors and other camera related logics. Sony seems to have chosen for being the provider of cameras in everything and for anybody, and they seem to have moved in the fast lane to surpass Canon and Nikon.

Personally I look forward to the moment being able to test and use the QX100, but more than that I am interested and looking forward to the response from other manufacturers like Canon and Nikon. Their vulnerability is conservatism and old school photo thinking. Their management responded too little too late frequently the past few years. Short term business wise that was not a bad decision, they are still big in the camera market and from a financial perspective especially Canon did better than Sony. But with these QX's, Google glass, and so many new companies entering the market with devices built around high end sensors and glass from the competition they should realize there is an elephant in the room. The paradigm shifts and Sony realized it and makes a wonderful offering that fits the bill of the audience of smartphone users (and aren't we almost all?). The QX is not gonna be a hit, it already is a hit. Those who don't see that are blind. Not a good habit for a photographer .

Anyway, welcome Sony QX! I am sure we are gonna see pictures from you in the alt board soon.

Sep 05, 2013 at 09:00 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.3 #20 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

I really want to try a QX and RX100(M2) in hand and pocket. I need to see what the dimensions are like, and how pocketable each one is. This will probably be the most important factor for me- if I still need to carry a bag, then neither is a winner.

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password