Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

ytwong
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

With this QX thing, it would have been much easier to make my avatar photo if I can see the framing and control the shutter with a smartphone. ( a GF-1 with 20/1.7 was put inside a refrigerator)

Separating the lens with the control might helps making some interesting shots, that would be much more flexible than a tiltable screen... we'll see.

No raw support is probably a deal breaker for me (I already have RX100). It would be great even if the raw file is only stored in the SD card. It could be a fun item...

Hope the new app is better than the old one; I have used it with NEX-6, the app was a real junk.

Sep 04, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.2 #2 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Very very interesting!
utwong; if you had this QX thing you could give it to your cat and then see what he/she sees, snap an image every now and then, or maybe press the movie "button".

I don't have a cat so I could consider attaching the thing to my bag, my hat, my son's daughter.... or I'll make a special cap for the QX and then film everything I see while walking at new places (maybe having a small ZOOM unit in my jacket's front pocket for the sound), or...

Not for me right now but I'll certainly check what features and lenses future models get, be they Sony or something else. I would buy a model with a fast lens and raw format. Basically I wish for an RX1 version.

Embrace the future, we'll all die anyway.

Sep 04, 2013 at 05:23 PM
KaaX
• • •
p.2 #3 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Jonas B wrote:
...you could give it to your cat and then see what he/she sees ... I could consider attaching the thing to my bag, my hat, my son's daughter.... or I'll make a special cap for the QX and then film everything I see while walking at new places

You want a GoPro Hero camera or one of its clones.

Sep 04, 2013 at 05:27 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

There's some real potential here, though I have no idea whether this will be a massive success or horrid failure. You can do some cool things with this, with remote shooting and such, but one thing that is going to really make this a hard sell for a lot of people is the proliferation of built in wifi on pretty much all new cameras.

Since this cameralens isn't really more portable, but is a little more awkward to use, it's a hard sell when you can get a relatively pocketable RX100 II, with built in wifi and remote shooting, that's easier to carry and has better controls, a flash, etc.

Last year, this would have been really unique and cool to easily get good images on your phone easily. But now, I can get any 2013 mirrorless camera, get better images, and still toss them to my phone with ease. In fact, Wifi is one of the main reasons I'm using my X-M1 as much as I use my X-E1. I love being able to take a shot, develop the RAW to my preference in camera (Fuji's in camera RAW conversion has a lot of control and power), and toss that to my phone to upload to Facebook or such. It's really nice. You've got Fuji's X-M1, Sony's NEX-5R, 5T and 6, Olympus E-P5, Panasonic GH3, GX7, plus in most new DSLRs....all with WiFi, all with the ability to easily share to a mobile device. Yes, it's one extra step, but for those who would carry a dedicated camera, it's really not a big deal.

But, we'll see...I could definitely see this going either way. It looks like Sony's done a pretty good job with the implementation, so it would be kind of neat to try out.

Sep 04, 2013 at 05:29 PM
KaaX
• • •
p.2 #5 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Guari wrote:
This is a solution to someone who doesn't even care enough to buy a pocketable camera.

A solution? Someone who does't even care enough to buy a P&S does not have a problem that needs a solution of this sort.

Guari wrote:
Who is going to shell money for this if they already have a high quality, 1" p&s? No one.

The number of people who own a 1" sensor P&S is vanishingly small.

It's not that I dislike this idea -- I like it, it's actually innovative and fun. However I think it's aimed at people who buy P&Ses -- it will fight for market share with things like Canon's ELPH cameras.

Edited on Sep 04, 2013 at 06:27 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2013 at 05:34 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

You guys.... I'm with Snowboarder. This thing will be awesome, tons of potential. I had been looking at RX100 type cameras for a little bit now, didn't want to pay the full amount for a RX100. I could have sworn it had Manual, but it sure doesn't look like it. That could probably be added in an easy firmware update.
This is an awesome sensor behind a pretty great (for PnS) lens, on a very flexible platform. Pull it off your phone, it can drop into your other pocket.
I'm headed to Korea in a few months (for a year) and like the thought of this as a super mobile photography solution, for if I don't want to lug the camera around all day/night on a crazy weekend.
I think the biggest limiting factor will be battery life of the module and the phone it's attached to.

Sep 04, 2013 at 05:49 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

KaaX wrote:
You want a GoPro Hero camera or one of its clones.

I have been looking at those but the sensors are small, about 6x4mm, no? I think we are seeing something else here. But sure, if I needed extreme ruggedness I wouldn't mix my cell phone with an expensive lens/sensor combo.

Edited on Sep 04, 2013 at 07:43 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2013 at 05:49 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

DPreview put up their first look. No ability to adjust ISO on the QX100 is just about a dealbreaker for me.

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:04 PM
KaaX
• • •
p.2 #9 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Overall, I'm with Jman13 -- it's neat and a couple of years ago it would have been awesome. Today? I'd rather spend more money and get an OMD EM1 -- same control via a smartphone when I want it, but vastly more capable and flexible, plus weatherproof.

And size-wise, since I'll need a bag or a large cargo pants pocket to carry the QX, I might as well put a m4/3 camera in there.

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:05 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

ISO1600 wrote:
DPreview put up their first look. No ability to adjust ISO on the QX100 is just about a dealbreaker for me.

Wait, what? I missed that part. I could live without manual mode, as I shoot in aperture priority about 85% of the time anyway, but no ISO adjustment? What the heck are they thinking?

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Yeah, exactly.
Auto ISO is ok for a "full size" (read: DSLR/Mirrorless sized) sensor... But I would not like to rely on Auto ISO for a 1" sensor.

I've all but lost interest in this thing, and now I'm back to looking at either small AF glass options for my NEX-6, or a small PnS-ish camera. I want something small and AF that takes better pics than my phone.

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Maybe we are seeing something for the brats only right now.
I hope more advanced versions will come by time.

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:44 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

snapsy wrote:
hmm, no manual exposure mode or raw support. seem like glaring omissions if they intended some overlap with the enthusiast market.

wow those are big omissions, hopefully it at least allows people to apply EC (because with the way RX100M2 meters at times they are going to need it)

how can they leave those out at that price?

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:49 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

"something for the brats only"....... Maybe I'm missing something, or something is lost in translation haha.

I really think that if Sony doesn't change some capabilities through firmware update(s) that they have missed the mark on this. Could have been really awesome, but there are a few key things that are lacking from the QX100.

I think that most people who would be potential customers for a $500 accessory camera would want the following:

1) ISO controls
2) Manual mode
3) Shutter Priority (not something I use often, but some do)
4) RAW

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:50 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

ISO1600 wrote:

Wow what? This thing is dead in the water thing.

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:51 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Why are people saying it is less pocketable than the RX100 though? The lens retracts totally in so it's a flat pancake disc when not in use.

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:53 PM
uhoh7
• • •
p.2 #17 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

jim bennett wrote:
I am going to go out on a limb here and predict a massive failure at these prices for these two products. I definitely love the idea of it, but they arent going to sell well at these prices.

the QX is now the most pre-ordered sony camera in history.

considering how many nex-7s were pre-ordered, I imagine that's a big number.

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:01 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

skibum5, there are two models- the flat pancake disk one is the QX10, which has a slow superzoom lens and less features. Totally worthless. The one with the GOOD lens and sensor (QX100) is twice as deep and i think i read 70% heavier. It really is kinda bulky... It has no camera body (like on the RX100) to retract into.

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:02 PM
alwang
• • •
p.2 #19 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

skibum5 wrote:
Why are people saying it is less pocketable than the RX100 though? The lens retracts totally in so it's a flat pancake disc when not in use.

The QX100 is 56mm deep, even when retracted, so about as deep as it is tall. Not exactly a pancake (unless your local diner has extremely thick pancakes). The RX100 II is 38mm deep.

The QX10 is flatter, but I have no interest in that sensor, and I question if it'll be much improvement at all over the better cameraphones.

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:02 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #20 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

uhoh7 wrote:
the QX is now the most pre-ordered sony camera in history.
considering how many nex-7s were pre-ordered, I imagine that's a big number.

Where is this coming from?

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:03 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password