FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones
Sony just announced the "QX" line of clip-on camera modules: The QX10 and the higher-end QX100 cameras are a new concept and were designed to be clipped to a smartphone or shoot uncoupled. Both units are self-contained cameras that can be controlled by Wi-Fi.

The 18MP QX10 features a 1/2.3" sensor and a 25-250mm equivalent zoom lens. The QX100 has a 20.2MP 1.0" Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor and 28-100mm zoom lens.
Pre-order from B&H Photo:

Sep 04, 2013 at 10:44 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSCQX100-Smartphone-Attachable-Lens-style/dp/B00EVIBN26/

That is all.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Can someone pls explain to me briefly, WTF is this thing?
(pls dont point me to a promo video or sth)

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:33 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

This is the heavily rumored Sony Lens Camera. RX100 Lens+Sensor that you clip onto a smartphone. Pocketable and cheaper than buying a RX100. $498.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Oh cool, so it includes a sensor, I thought it would use the phone's sensor...
so the pic is created on the lens and the phone simply receives it, but is also used as an EVF when shooting?

Not a bad idea if that's what it is

Thx ISO

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:47 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Yeah, the phone acts as the camera's display/evf. You can store images on the phone and/or the module's microSD simultaneously.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:52 AM
asbalyan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

What about flash

Sep 04, 2013 at 10:19 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

what about Q/RX100's awesome 1" sensor? It doesn't need a flash! haha

Sep 04, 2013 at 10:30 AM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

I am going to go out on a limb here and predict a massive failure at these prices for these two products. I definitely love the idea of it, but they arent going to sell well at these prices.

Sep 04, 2013 at 10:48 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Ya, prices need to be low for the target audience to even consider this.

Sep 04, 2013 at 10:57 AM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

My problem with these (well, the QX100 in particular) is that even if it's technically smaller volume-wise than the RX100, the shape is more awkward and looks *less* pocketable.

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

jim bennett wrote:
I am going to go out on a limb here and predict a massive failure at these prices for these two products. I definitely love the idea of it, but they arent going to sell well at these prices.

It depends what a massive failure is.

Many people said the same thing about the RX1, because of price, it was meant to be a disaster.

I am unsure of sony's economics. But I can repeat what I said when the RX1 came about. It is the first pocketable digital FF camera with such an amazing fixed optics. It is leading the wave while all other makers rest in their laurels. Who else is making anything remotely comparable? In FF? No one. They dominate the market because no other company has the will to be groundbreaking.

Same thing with this camera add-on. Who else in the market makes something remotely similar? No one. Zip, nada, zilch, zero.

Even if it is a massive failure economically, they are setting the road for the future of many electronics. Sure, some other department might be subsidising this, but it is FAR from being a massive failure.

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:13 AM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Thinking about it more, if they had just built a prime lens version with the wide end of the QX100's zoom range (28mm equivalent, f1.8), kept the RX100 II sensor, made it about half the depth of the current QX100, and sold it for $400, I think they'd have a winner.

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:17 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

hmm, no manual exposure mode or raw support. seem like glaring omissions if they intended some overlap with the enthusiast market.

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

snapsy wrote:
hmm, no manual exposure mode or raw support. seem like glaring omissions if they intended some overlap with the enthusiast market.

It's not targeted at you snapsy, it's targeted at instagrammers and phone capturers. Maybe 1% of that demographic knows what a RAW file is. They don't care

It's meant to capture, transmit, process and post. As simple as that.

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:35 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

I love it. It's innovative, new and fun. People forget the huge potential - tons os apps can be used, like a remote timelapse setup with you 30 feet away seeing the live preview etc. Tons of options. Good quality lens, good sensor, I'm getting one - QX100 as soon as I can for my SO.

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:38 AM
KaaX
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Guari wrote:
It's not targeted at you snapsy, it's targeted at instagrammers and phone capturers.

These people have absolutely no interest in a better sensor and better lens that cost hundreds of dollars and cannot be shoved into a jeans pocket.

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:38 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

Guari wrote:
It's not targeted at you snapsy, it's targeted at instagrammers and phone capturers. Maybe 1% of that demographic knows what a RAW file is. They don't care

It's meant to capture, transmit, process and post. As simple as that.

I'd agree that enthusiasts aren't their primary target but they surely must have expected some overlap with that market, particularly for the QX100.

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

KaaX wrote:
These people have absolutely no interest in a better sensor and better lens that cost hundreds of dollars and cannot be shoved into a jeans pocket.

And that might be the doom of it. But trust me, it is not aimed at the gear heads that populate this forum.

We all have m4/3, Sony this, panasonic that, GX this, RAW that, D800's, 5D3...

This is a solution to someone who doesn't even care enough to buy a pocketable camera.

Who is going to shell money for this if they already have a high quality, 1" p&s? No one.

This is for camera phone users. And the gross of that population uses their pics for social media.

It is the way the world is shaping to be

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony announces QX10 and QX100 cameras for smartphones

snapsy wrote:
I'd agree that enthusiasts aren't their primary target but they surely must have expected some overlap with that market, particularly for the QX100.

I do agree, it would have been nice

On the other hand, maybe data transmittal over wifi is horrid and that is why they forgo RAW at all due to size

I know that when I try to pass a medium size JPG from my EPL5 to my phone via eye fi it takes quite a bit..

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:44 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.