Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lighting in a Theatre

djb663

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighting in a Theatre

I debated whether to post this in Wedding, or lighting, and feel it applies more to lighting. Anyway, here's the question:

I am shooting a wedding at a theatre. There are two brides, and they are both entering the theatre at the same time. They will be appoximately 120 feet away from the stage when they enter and there will be approximately 50 feet between them (they will each come down an aisle). I am debating shooting from the stage with just ambient light (Nikon D4, so I'm not worried about low-light). My other option would be to use two profoto d1 500ws mounted at or onstage.

I am new to the profoto's, so I'm not sure of the distance/spread without modifiers (or with modifiers for that matter). What would you folks recommend? Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Sep 04, 2013 at 01:10 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighting in a Theatre

Allow me to at least suggest that whatever you come up with it includes getting fill light in their eyes to avoid raccoon eyes from over head light. This is true no matter if you use additional lighting or the light provided in the theatre.

Also, if you go with a light on each side of the stage I would say aim it across to the bride on the opposite side. Probably towards a point that the light can bounce high off a wall if available. I would assume people will be standing as the brides approach so you want to bounce the light rather high to avoid strong shadows. This will more than likely light the entire place but as long as you can add just enough "pop" if you need it you can still have depth to the images.

I have no experience with Profoto, so let me ask, will you have remote control of the lights from camera position?

Sep 04, 2013 at 05:41 PM
djb663

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighting in a Theatre

cordellwillis wrote:
Allow me to at least suggest that whatever you come up with it includes getting fill light in their eyes to avoid raccoon eyes from over head light. This is true no matter if you use additional lighting or the light provided in the theatre.

Also, if you go with a light on each side of the stage I would say aim it across to the bride on the opposite side. Probably towards a point that the light can bounce high off a wall if available. I would assume people will be standing as the brides approach so you want to
...Show more

Yes, I will have remote control of the lights from the camera. I will also be able to set up and meter ahead of time. The only problem with the metering is that the theatre will be empty when I meter and I won't know the effect of the people in the seats/standing. Ideally I would like to cross the lights as you said, but then I considered the people standing and creating the shadows that you spoke of. If I placed the lights low at or onstage directly at the end of the aisles, the lighting would be flat, but I wouldn't be worried about shadows as the stage is actually lower than the location that the brides will enter (remember, the aisles go down to the stage). Because the ceiling is so high, I hadn't really considered bouncing that high and that distance. I would be concerned with bouncing off the walls as I think this would create harsh shadows.

I may have to simply use diffused strobes and have my assistant and one of the theatre people in one of the back aisles to hold them. The distance between the brides and the simultaneous entry is what is posing the challenge.

Thanks for your response.

Sep 04, 2013 at 06:06 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lighting in a Theatre

Sometimes flat light is the only available light to do what you need to do. Only if you use to much power to bounce the light you could create harsh shadows. I know I sometimes I use more light than I think I need. In any case the bounce depends on the structure of the interior and what the light is bouncing off of.

Since the stage is higher I would imagine the light would have an easier time traveling over the guests heads and reducing the issue of shadows. The bounce will help spread the light too creating a larger source.

You indeed may have a challenge on your hands here but it sounds like a fun one

Sep 04, 2013 at 06:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dale Kirchhofe

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lighting in a Theatre

Is it possible to get into the theater before the ceremony ? You could test a basic set-up and go from there.

dale

Sep 08, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Paul_K
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lighting in a Theatre

I once had to shoot a catwalk show in the Schuttersgalerij of the Amsterdam museum,

http://www.amsterdamvillagecompany.nl/nl/zalen/bijeenkomsten-evenementen/zalen/schuttersgalerij

(the theatre page)

a very high ceiling venue with no realistic possibilties for bounced flash and due to the depth very varying distances between camera standpoint and the (moving) models

Rather then using my Bowens Geminis (major disadvantage no TTL metering, second disadvantage a bit overly present if used with reflectors like umbrellas etc) I went for two SB800's (with additional batterypacks for recycle and extra capacity, and rather then the Stofen diffusors a piece of Lee diffusion filter, as the light sources would due to the distance end up as pinpoint lights anyway) on lightstands in the back of the venue bsically left and right of me with PW TT5's for remote TTL metering and triggering.

http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/20121124_mafb_adam

I can imagine to in your case adding an additional flash on the other side of the venue (from the camera standpoint) as well to somewhat lighten up the background behind the brides (in my catwalkshoot the background was a piece of black cloth so no use of an extra light then) with maybe even with an extra high positioned flash as effect light on the brides/bridal dresses.

My two cents

Sep 23, 2013 at 01:44 PM
djb663

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lighting in a Theatre

Thank you Paul. That response is helpful.

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:18 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password