Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Compact mft camera with good video?

Sami Ruusunen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Compact mft camera with good video?

So I've been looking for a compactish camera with ok still capability and semi-pro video capabilities for a while now.

I was expecting the Panasonic GX7 to be GH3 with smaller form factor which would've been the perfect camera for me: compact size, decent still image quality and good video. I was already pre-ordering it when I noticed the damn thing doesn't have the mic socket, wth! And the video bitrate is not as high as in GH3. Can't really describe how disappointed I am for that.

So, I don't have any information about other manufacturers mft cameras and their capabilities. Is there any mft camera with Lumix GH3 video quality but in smaller form factor? High bitrate video, 60p/50p is preferred but I can live with 30p/25p. Mic socket is a must.
Autofocus speed is pretty much irrelevant.

Reason I am interested of mft system is that I really like to have those cine converted f0.95 Voigtlander lenses for video work.

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:16 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Compact mft camera with good video?

Here's your desired beast - they're starting to ship in limited quantity now and should be more available very shortly. Only downside is that the sensor is smaller than standard m4/3, so really wide stuff may be an issue: Note that this is video ONLY, so it may not fit your criteria at all, but it is a very high quality video machine Does 1080p at most any framerate with 220 Mbps video bit rate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=964117&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Other than that, the GX7 is the closest thing we've got. If the GH3 is a little too big for you, a hacked GH2 produces mighty fine video as well and is pretty small.

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:01 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Compact mft camera with good video?

Some pretty nice video samples from the Blackmagic pocket by Philip Bloom:

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:17 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Compact mft camera with good video?

Jman13 wrote:
Here's your desired beast - they're starting to ship in limited quantity now and should be more available very shortly. Only downside is that the sensor is smaller than standard m4/3, so really wide stuff may be an issue: Note that this is video ONLY, so it may not fit your criteria at all, but it is a very high quality video machine Does 1080p at most any framerate with 220 Mbps video bit rate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=964117&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Other than that, the GX7 is the closest thing we've got. If the GH3 is a little too big for you, a hacked GH2 produces mighty
...Show more

Thanks but I did have a preorder of BMPCC which I cancelled because I'm afraid it is still a prototype of a camera, battery lasts an hour and it's reported quite buggy. I hope the firmware updates do something about some of the bugs but I doubt it can help with the anemic battery life. If I absolutely needed raw video the BMPCC would be only option really. But I really need the option to shoot stills, otherwise I need another camera with me.

Edited on Sep 04, 2013 at 08:27 AM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Compact mft camera with good video?

Thanks for the hacked GH2 tip, I need to do some research on that.

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:26 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.