New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Kali Amman (Durga) Festival in Chennai India

Scrumhalf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kali Amman (Durga) Festival in Chennai India

I happened to be in Chennai, India last month when the Amman (Durga) Festival took place in temples all over. I caught the ceremony in a small temple in a local neighborhood.

It was a great event - lots of devotion showed by simple, often desperately poor people. My son and I had cameras and we were made to feel welcome all night. Great experience!

Kali Amman is a form of Parvati, the wife of Shiva and one of the premier goddesses that are worshipped.

The festival began with the idol of Amman carried around the neighborhood by teh priest for all to see and get blessings from:

IMG_1743 by Scrumhalf, on Flickr

The idol is of Kali, a fearsome version of Parvati, who is this form is supposed to defeat demons and evil doers. Looks pretty fearsome:

IMG_1743-2 by Scrumhalf, on Flickr

Drumming is a major way for devotees to participate in the festival. Drumming took place all day and all night by various groups of drummers.

This guy accompanied the Kali Amman procession through the neighborhood:

IMG_1742 by Scrumhalf, on Flickr

These guys were one of the groups of drummers that drummed all night long. The lighting was terrible for photography.

IMG_1755 by Scrumhalf, on Flickr

The neighborhood kids were not used to seeing a photographer at their little neighborhood temple, so they were hamming it up for the camera!

IMG_1761 by Scrumhalf, on Flickr

Sep 04, 2013 at 01:19 AM
boxman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kali Amman (Durga) Festival in Chennai India

Even though you said the lighting was terrible, the fourth photo is the standout for me, it shows more of the emotion of the festival, I think.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:47 AM
Scrumhalf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kali Amman (Durga) Festival in Chennai India

Indeed. It was quite something. It was about 90 degrees and humid and with all the people crowded it, it felt like a hundred twenty lol... The drummers were sweating buckets, not sure how they kept it going all night long.

Sep 04, 2013 at 12:02 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.