Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

rtljr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

I have the 100-400 and want to get something to replace my 18-135 kit lens. Anyone have experience with the 17-40L? I'm thinking I would like the 17mm as opposed to something like the 24-70 or 105.

Sep 03, 2013 at 10:58 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

Not sure why you'd go for the 17-40L over the 17-55/2.8 IS, unless you're planning to stay with FF glass only now, and plan on upgrading to FF soon. Even then, the 17-55 is still a better buy, as the 17-40L is a wide-angle zoom on FF, and you'd likely want to get an FF camera with the more versatile 24-105L or 24-70/4L IS, depending on what Canon is shipping.

Sep 03, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

I've used the combo. I didn't like the f/4 part, other than it was just fine.

Sep 03, 2013 at 11:12 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

rtljr wrote:
I have the 100-400 and want to get something to replace my 18-135 kit lens. Anyone have experience with the 17-40L? I'm thinking I would like the 17mm as opposed to something like the 24-70 or 105.

It's good, but the Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-VC gives an extra 10mm reach, offers f/2.8 and is smaller and lighter and the IQ is just as good and oh it costs less too. I had the 17-40L and sold it after trying the Tamron.

The 15-85 IS gives a lot more range on both ends and is a bit slower but also offers IS, perhaps the contrast is a touch weaker than the 17-40L.

The 17-55 IS offers IS plus a bit more range and f/2.8.

Sep 03, 2013 at 11:21 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

I'd keep the 18-135 for the middle range and add the new Sigma 18-35 f1.8 when it becomes available.

I have a 7D and 5D3.
I've used the 17-40 and 17-55f2.8 EF-S and prefer the EF-S lens for it's speed and IS.
But the 17-40 is a fine lens on a 7D, with better feel and build.

Edited on Sep 03, 2013 at 11:24 PM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2013 at 11:21 PM
rtljr

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

johnctharp wrote:
Not sure why you'd go for the 17-40L over the 17-55/2.8 IS, unless you're planning to stay with FF glass only now, and plan on upgrading to FF soon. Even then, the 17-55 is still a better buy, as the 17-40L is a wide-angle zoom on FF, and you'd likely want to get an FF camera with the more versatile 24-105L or 24-70/4L IS, depending on what Canon is shipping.

Well I am looking at FF in the future so I would like to not have to buy new lenses for FF. I've read so many reviews and opinions that I'm getting confused. I have read it's okay on a crop but better on a FF, and I've read that it works great on a crop.

Sep 03, 2013 at 11:24 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

rtljr wrote:

I used the 17-40 - a lens I like quite a bit - way back in the day when I first switched to digital and had a cropped sensor camera.

I'm not a fan of this lens on crop.

Reasons:

1. The weakness of the 17-40 f/4 is its corner performance at the largest apertures. The corners improve a lot as you stop it down. On full frame this means shooting between f/8 and f/16, and most often at the smaller of these apertures. However, on cropped sensor cameras you might be a bit concerned about diffraction blur when you stop down beyond about f/8... and on this lens you may well be concerned about corner performance at larger apertures. This means that your aperture choices are extremely limited for landscape shooting. (Large aperture shooting can be fine as long as you aren't too concerned with corners. I used it this way for some street shooting, for example.)

2. There is a much better option in the EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS - basically better on every count, with one quibble.

- f/2.8 maximum aperture rather than f/4

- good performance at the larger apertures

- larger 17-55mm focal length range

- image stabilization

- overall excellent image quality - better on a crop body than the 17-40

The quibble? The 17-40 has the build quality of an L lens. The 17-55 doesn't, but it is a very well built lens and nothing to worry about.

You could also look at lenses like the 18-85 or, depending upon your needs, some of the wide range zooms.

Dan

Sep 04, 2013 at 12:18 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

The 18-35/1.8 Art and the 17-70/2.8-4 OS C from Sigma are both tempting lenses in that range- but here's another question for you:

Do you plan on keeping the 7D?

I sold my 60D; versatile as it was, it was no 7D in the AF and FPS departments, or in the build-quality and weather-sealing departments either. A 7D would be worth keeping unless you're able to fully replace it's functionality, and that would mean a 1D successor with a higher-resolution sensor that can approach the resolution you get from your 7D, and that's likely a no-go, given how much such a camera would likely cost.

If you plan on keeping the 7D, you'd might as well grab the 17-55/2.8 IS and call it done. Once you grab an FF body, that lens would likely be welded to your 7D, but that's not a bad thing!

Sep 04, 2013 at 12:34 AM
rtljr

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

Thanks to all for your advice. I will definitely keep the 7D and possibly move to acquire a 5DmkIII. That's one reason for going with the L lenses.

I'm thinking I might be better off with IS. Any thoughts on the 24-70 or the 24-105? Again, for right now, paired with the 7D. And the 24-70 would be the f4. I don't do much low light, really if any at all.

Sep 04, 2013 at 06:40 AM
rtljr

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

Thanks to all for your advice. I will definitely keep the 7D and possibly move to acquire a 5DmkIII. That's one reason for going with the L lenses.

I'm thinking I might be better off with IS. Any thoughts on the 24-70 or the 24-105? Again, for right now, paired with the 7D. And the 24-70 would be the f4. I don't do much low light, really if any at all.

Sep 04, 2013 at 06:42 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

rtljr wrote:

I have a 7D, the 17-55 EF-S and the 24-105L. I use the 24-105L on the 7D quite a bit and it is a great lens. However, the 17-55 on the 7D is a perfect combination. Sharper, f2.8 and now a very good price at $879 from B&H. If you don't have the budget to get two lenses, one for the 7D and an L lens for the 5D III, I would suggest the 24-105L.

Edited on Sep 04, 2013 at 07:54 AM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:28 AM
lesaus
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

I used the 17-40 on my 50D until I got a 5D3 and the results were excellent. A crop body will not have corner softness with this lens, as it will not use the outer edges of the glass. Actually, I don't get corner softness with my 5D3, since I use it for landscapes stopped down to at least f/8.

If - and when - you get a full-frame body you will then have an ultra-wide-angle lens for it.

Sep 04, 2013 at 07:50 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

Remember that the 24-105L is about half-price- ~$500- when purchased in an FF kit. I didn't even want the lens when I picked up my 6D, but given that my 15-85 was of no use and that the 24-105L was cheaper in a kit than the 15-85 was separately, it was real hard to pass up.

And in the end, you're going to want something wider than 24mm on your 7D; even 17mm on a crop isn't as wide as 24mm is on FF, so you'll want to stick to the standard crop zooms that range from 15mm to 18mm on the wide end.

And really, anything narrower than 18mm and F/2.8 would be a loss; if you're truly set on getting a quality L lens that can be effectively used on both crop and FF, then save up for the 16-35/2.8; otherwise, the 17-55/2.8 cannot be beat for versatility, and the 18=35/1.8 Art would be great when paired with an FF standard zoom when you get to that point.

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:43 AM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

rtljr wrote:
Well I am looking at FF in the future so I would like to not have to buy new lenses for FF. I've read so many reviews and opinions that I'm getting confused. I have read it's okay on a crop but better on a FF, and I've read that it works great on a crop.

I did exactly this. I was using a 7D and wanted to go to full frame eventually so I got the 17-40. No regrets, it is a fantastic lens. Most of the people spouting opinions probably have never tried the combo for themselves and are very linear thinkers. Well it's a full frame lens therefore it should only be used on a full frame camera. Others base their opinion strictly from test charts when they probably wouldn't even recognize some of the things in real world use. It lived on my 7D for a long time and now it lives on my 5diii and the 7D has a 10-22 to use. Great lens and works fantastic on a crop.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:10 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

I had it for several years paired with a 350D and image quality was excellent. The cropped image circle also cut out the troublesome corners that it displays on FF. Whilst i don't regret buying it, i do agree with Dan that the 17-55mm f/2.8 is probably a better buy, even if you are planning to go FF in the future.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:23 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

lesaus wrote:
I used the 17-40 on my 50D until I got a 5D3 and the results were excellent. A crop body will not have corner softness with this lens, as it will not use the outer edges of the glass. Actually, I don't get corner softness with my 5D3, since I use it for landscapes stopped down to at least f/8.

In my experience shooting this lens on crop, it isn't quite that simple. In fact, you have more or less described the issue with this lens on crop. As you point out - and here we agree - you stop down this lens to f/8 or so in order to get past the apertures with soft corners. However, beyond f/8 you are getting into the range on crop where diffraction blur can begin to noticeably soften the entire image. Basically, this means that you are shooting at f/8 if you want the sweet spot between the soft corner apertures and the diffraction blur apertures. For landscape, this means that your 17-40 on crop is basically a lens you shoot at f/8.

(If you don't print large and aren't super critical about this stuff, you'll have a bit more flexibility.)

In general, to people who think "I hope I'll move to full frame someday, but I'm not sure when," I say get the lens now for the camera you have now. While you will "lose" some small increment of your investment if and when you switch, that is a very small price to pay for having a more functional lens in the meantime. You can minimize the cost by buying used - and don't forget that you can sell this lens along with the camera if you move to full frame... or keep it as your second/backup camera/lens.

Dan

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:25 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

I'm going to echo skibum.

I have the 15-85 IS and it is basically a permanent fixture on my 60D. It's a lens that with a lot of versatility, great IQ and great IS. My advice is to buy a lens suitable for the crop camera and not worry about FF use. I have a 16-35L II, but it never goes on the crop -- the 15-85 is so much more useful. I dare say the 15-85 IQ is equal to or surpasses the 17-40 on crop.

When you buy a FF, buy a 24-105L IS as a perfect companion for your 100-400L IS. You can then think about wider or faster lenses, but do so based on FF format -- they will all work on crop!

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:32 AM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

If you're going to full frame soon or will eventually own both types of cameras and the F/4 is OK for what you're shooting then the 17-40L is a great lens IMO. I completely disagree with the idea that this is not a great lens on a crop camera based on my experiences with it.

For decent corner performance on FF you need to stop down, but on a crop camera like the 7D I did not find this to be an issue at all. In fact, I found my 17-40L to be a tad bit better than my Canon 17-55/2.8 IS at the extreme corners/edges on my 7D when shooting landscapes at F/5.6 or smaller (most of the image frame was identical). Build quality is also better than the EF-S Canon lenses.

That said, for a an all-around general purpose lens that was primarily going to be on a crop camera I would stick with something more versatile like the 15-85 IS or 17-55/2.8 IS or maybe the older Tamron non-VC 17-50/2.8 if the Canon lenses were not in my budget. If I was going to be shooting crop for a while longer I might just buy something like this here on the B&S and then just sell it later when I added a FF body.

There's no right answer...these are all solid lenses and if you buy/sell used here at FM you can make changes to your lens lineup without losing much money so I wouldn't sweat this decision too much.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:42 AM
Peacekpr
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

I tried a 17-40L on my 7D and found it a little grainy. It was fine on my 1DS. I also didn't care for the f/4. It's a great focal length on a cropped sensor though.

Personally, if your intent is to stick to L glass then have a look at a used 17-35 or a 16-35. I'm actually quite interested in the new Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 for $799. It's a DC lens, meaning it's specifically designed for cropped sensors like our 7Ds.

Good luck and let us know which you chose.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:46 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What do you think about the 17-40L paired with the 7D?

For those advancing the idea that the 17-40L is a great lens on crop- even though I haven't used the combo, I'd agree!

But that's not really the question here; consider, again, that the 17-40L is slower, less sharp, and lacks IS compared to the 17-55/2.8 IS. If the OP is going FF 3-6 months down the road, the FF zoom might make sense- but if not, it really, really doesn't make sense. The 7D's sensor needs all of the speed you can give it, which the crop zoom provides with a faster aperture and IS, over the FF zoom, along with a usefully longer focal length.

So again, like Dan said above, the best advice is to buy the lens for the camera he has. Now, the newer Sigma zooms are also worthy of mention here too, but overall, Canon's fast crop zoom is the one to beat.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:51 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.