Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Lens authority... Anyone?

RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Lens authority... Anyone?

RoyC wrote:
RCicala, which is worse on your rentals, the customer or two trips with the "Dropped Twice Kicked Once" shipping company for each rental?

It's hard to really say. As far as overtly, obviously broken, it's the customer. We see about 1 in 50 rentals where the customer breaks something (most of the time they email and tell us, most of the rest of the time it's obvious).

About another 1 in 300 - 400 shipments something that was working before it got shipped isn't working when it gets there (I'm pretty comfortable this is correct because the frequency is about even both ways.)vThe shipping stuff is usually internal damage - parts jarred loose, an electrical part maybe fried from being on a hot summertime truck.

Early on, the worst thing was the combination: I can't tell you the number of times we'd get an email saying "I was able to get all the gear you sent in 4 boxes packed into just 2 to send it back to you". . . . .

So we designed packaging to be pretty self explanatory. The lens comes in a thick padded case, for example, because people will put it back in the nice padded case. The case fits exactly into a premade styrofoam container that is exactly the same size as the shipping box, etc. That way we know it has the same padding coming back as it did going out.

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:22 PM
hijazist
• • •
p.2 #2 · Lens authority... Anyone?

JimFox wrote:
The wording doesn't seem bizarre in the least to me... I think you are getting bothered over nothing.

Jim

I was actually amused by it, I just found it unconventional and mention-worthy.

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:43 PM
sunbeast
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Lens authority... Anyone?

I have both rented and purchased used lenses from the company. 100 % satisfied with the used purchases. Found the descriptions spot on. In terms of comparisons with other companies offering used lenses, IMHO no one offers better pictures of the item (sometimes I can pick out the flaws noted in the description) and no one offers testing data like LR/LA.
This is not to say the other companies are inferior, I buy from multiple sources, but I don't believe you need to be concerned about LR/LA.

Sep 12, 2013 at 01:44 AM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Lens authority... Anyone?

Andre Labonte wrote:
WOW, some people (Drew in this example) certainly have a feeling of entitlement ...

get back to me after you have worked in a retail environment for a few years esp one that deals in used gear. many moons ago i was a very successful salesman at a music store and the guitar players in the quest for "tone" are analogous to the quest for sharpness , except that sharpness can be quantified and "tone" is as mysterious as smoke.

actually jerk is mild, there are way more accurate descriptors but they can't be uttered here lol

J

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:19 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.2 #5 · Lens authority... Anyone?

RCicala wrote:
Thank you. It's still a work in progress, but I like being able to show really large photos of the actual lens for sale (if you haven't noticed, clicking on the image will give you a nearly full-screen jpg of that view). A close-up picture of a scratch is so much better than a verbal description of a scratch.

My goal, if we can pull it off, will be to also include actual Imatest or bench MTF of the lens. That's some months away - I've been traveling for the last month looking at some amazingly cool equipment. Now if
...Show more

Wow, I love the idea of an Imatest/MTF of the actual lens, and it would save the 'buy 6 copies and keep the sharpest' behaviour, but surely that would involve too much labour to make it worth it? (how long does it take you to test a lens?)

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:38 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · Lens authority... Anyone?

jmcfadden wrote:
get back to me after you have worked in a retail environment for a few years esp one that deals in used gear. many moons ago i was a very successful salesman at a music store and the guitar players in the quest for "tone" are analogous to the quest for sharpness , except that sharpness can be quantified and "tone" is as mysterious as smoke.

actually jerk is mild, there are way more accurate descriptors but they can't be uttered here lol

J

It'll never happen unless I'm starving ... though I did work as a cashier in a grocery store when I was in HS and college ... I don't care to repeat that experience ... I imagine retail is worse.

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:01 AM
john saunders

p.2 #7 · Lens authority... Anyone?

I like companies like this -- no guff policies & descriptions. Support them enough and they may start shipping to Canada

Sep 13, 2013 at 05:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Lens authority... Anyone?

scottam10 wrote:
Wow, I love the idea of an Imatest/MTF of the actual lens, and it would save the 'buy 6 copies and keep the sharpest' behaviour, but surely that would involve too much labour to make it worth it? (how long does it take you to test a lens?)

It ends up being one of those things that economy of scale comes into play. We're looking at a bench now that will do MTF on a lens in about 8 minutes or so. But to make it worthwhile we've got to do a lot of lenses every day (think price of small house).

Imatest is just too time consuming and our currrent MTF bench has limitations for lens size.

Sep 13, 2013 at 07:31 PM
ebrandon
• • •
p.2 #9 · Lens authority... Anyone?

Roger --

Just wondering.

Why do you guys sell these lenses instead of continuing the rent them out? Almost all theses for sale on Lens Authority are also available for rent on Lens Rentals (not the same copies obviously).

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM
talexander
• • •
p.2 #10 · Lens authority... Anyone?

Roger,

You have any idea when for example a zoom ring is listed as rough and gritty is that just your techs decided it wasn't worth fixing? Lensauthority is a "no fix just sell" zone?

Also any coupon's for your FM buddies? Not begging but... /beg

Tim

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Lens authority... Anyone?

ebrandon wrote:
Roger --

Just wondering.

Why do you guys sell these lenses instead of continuing the rent them out? Almost all theses for sale on Lens Authority are also available for rent on Lens Rentals (not the same copies obviously).

When we first started rental lenses were notorious for being old and beat all to heck - a lot of rental houses bought used lenses and then rented them until they broke. Since we were online people couldn't check out the lens before they walked out of the shop with it and were nervous about what they'd be getting. I didn't think it carried a lot of weight to say "all our lenses are really in good shape, I promise", so instead we made it a policy that all of our lenses were bought new and were less than 2 years old - that was factual enough that people could trust it.

I found out later that it also makes business sense: the lenses get depreciated each year and it makes the accounting and taxes better if it's sold while it still has value on our books. If we had depreciated it to $0 and then sell it for $750 it ends up a bit of an accounting and tax headache.

Sep 14, 2013 at 01:00 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.2 #12 · Lens authority... Anyone?

RCicala wrote:
When we first started rental lenses were notorious for being old and beat all to heck - a lot of rental houses bought used lenses and then rented them until they broke. Since we were online people couldn't check out the lens before they walked out of the shop with it and were nervous about what they'd be getting. I didn't think it carried a lot of weight to say "all our lenses are really in good shape, I promise", so instead we made it a policy that all of our lenses were bought new and were less than 2
...Show more

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the response.

Sep 14, 2013 at 05:21 AM
jmckayak
• •
p.2 #13 · Lens authority... Anyone?

We never call our customers a 'jerk'. We just add a 'PITA' charge. (Pain In The A$$)

Oct 11, 2013 at 05:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password