Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

alainadenean

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

I posted some of my photos from various sports a few weeks ago, and I was encouraged to post photos from each game that I shot, so I could receive better feedback. This was my first time shooting an actual football game. It was in the Georgia Dome. The lighting looked great, but I did have turn my ISO up to compensate for my shutter speed. I don't have the best equipment, being that I am a college student! This was my first time shooting with my new 5D Mark iii. I had a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8, with a sigma 2X's extender on my Mark iii. I also had my T3i with me, with an 18-200mm, so I could get some wider shots. I am definitely looking forward to shooting an outside game, so I can keep my ISO pretty low and avoid the noise.

Open to any suggestions!

Thanks,
Alaina

Sep 03, 2013 at 07:25 PM
alainadenean

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

6 and 7.

Sep 03, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

These seem a bit underexposed to me.... also, are you standing while taking these? (kneel or sit when possible)

You captured good moments, but we don't always need to see the entire field or the whole play...

Somebody told me (probably Paul Alesse) that to get the maximum impact in a sports image, you need to capture what people in the stands can't see... which usually translates to getting CLOSE.

People want to see sweat beads flying, emotions on faces, strong eyes. They want to see some jubilation crossing the goal line. I've found that some of these types of shots are good, but "strong" sports images usually isolate the a player in the middle of a key thing (crazy tackle, fingertip catch, awesome defensive play)

You were for sure in the right places for rushing TDs, but I'd like to see some variety. All of these are of rushers running towards the camera. Any of the QB? Defensive plays? Sideline details? Coaches tearing somebody a new one?

Sep 03, 2013 at 09:44 PM
alainadenean

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

Thanks for the feedback.
I was kneeling almost the whole time.
I would love to get in closer, but the largest lens I own right now is a 70-200.
I put an extender on it, but it still doesn't achieve the reach I would like.
I will definitely think about that next time though. Maybe I will be close enough to get some shots like that.

I did get a few of AJ, and the coaches.
I will really try to work on a variety next time though.

Thank you!

Sep 03, 2013 at 10:01 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

We must have been pretty close on 4,5, and 6
I am not going to comment on the color as I am on a non calibrated machine at the moment, so just a few on the photos. Overall not bad, but crops can be tighter.

1. I like the wide shot, but can also work tight
2. I like these type of shots, but for me I prefer to focus down the line and have blur in front and behind, I also think these type of shots work better when you can see more than 1 face. Not a bad shot but can be made better.
3. Needs cropped tighter, late on the action already in the endzone,
4. Crop tighter, vertical crop, split the bama blocker and the VT14, and just above the chick logo on the blue tunnell cover
5. make crop tighter, this would work wide if it showed the TD pylon, but as is its just another version of the above just closer.
6. Crop tighter, the ref and the VT players add nothing to the photo, but the pylons in the back show distance/depth and the bama assistant running shows its a big play, so I would make a crop showing those.
7. Either leave it horz and crop the bama#2 player out or just go vertical on runner and tackler

here are a few of mine from the game on this board....... .https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1238290

Andy

Sep 04, 2013 at 01:42 AM
alainadenean

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

Thank you for your input Andy.

Your images are great. So sorry about your lens. I didn't see that happen. Hope you're ok!
I see what you mean by cropping tighter.
Mine (minus the second one) are already cropped in pretty tight.
When I tried cropping tighter, I ended up with a lot of noise and not very good quality over all.
I was thinking about renting a 400, or 600mm for a game, just so I can get in closer without losing quality.
Of course you getting run over makes me a little nervous about renting!

Also I liked your advice on the second one. I liked sticking around to get photos of the band and all when most of the other photographers went to the work room. I had more room to move around and they allowed me to get right in front of players benches, with it being half time. I will try focusing on different people in the line and see how that looks. I got some good ones of the color guard and crimsonettes doing their thing too.

Alaina

Sep 04, 2013 at 10:06 AM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

1) Under exposed. Remember, you want to see faces to over expose a tad so that you can get the face. Generally you want to crop tight, however for jube shots this is fine.

2) Like Andy said, find someone in the middle so that people in front and back are out of focus.

3) Crop tight. Missed peak action

4) Not bad, copr tighter on #3 and include #14

5) Boring shot.

6) Goot shot, wish there were more things going on in it though.

7) Crop tighter, perhaps vertical on #22?

I'm covering Auburn again this weekend, perhaps I'll be at Bama the next home game.

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:15 AM
alainadenean

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

Thanks Michael,

I did struggle a little with the lighting, and at f/5.6, I was trying to make sure my shutter was at least 800-1,000.
I'm hoping to have better luck with an outside game. Hopefully I'll be able to keep my ISO lower and have my shutter speed faster.

Hope to meet you, if you come to our first home game.
I enjoyed meeting different photographers at the game. It's really neat to see the different styles and all that each photographer has developed over time.

Alaina

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:37 AM
matt.garnett
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

You're shooting with a 5D Mark III, crank that bad boy up to about 10,000 ISO and overexpose your photos like crazy. In post, drag the exposure slider and the shadows down some to get the lighting right and apply a little NR. I won't go in and critique each individual photo, because you've got several really good critique by guys who really know what they're talking about.

Here's a photo that I shot last Friday in a high school stadium :
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5456/9661271626_212ecae15b_c.jpg

5D Mark III | 600mm IS II | f/4.0 | 1/500 sec | 12,800 ISO

Sep 04, 2013 at 09:53 PM
alainadenean

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

Matt,

Are you usually able to stop motion this well at 1/500 sec? And how much did you crop in?
I shot all mine at ISO 6,400. It wouldn't have been that bad, if I didn't have to crop in so much.
The low light handling on the Mark III is SO much better than I am used to. I guess I'm still a little timid when it comes to higher ISO's. (Iv'e had the Mark III for only two weeks now and that was my first sporting event shooting with it)

In post, do you use luminance for noise reduction? That's what I've been taught to use, but I always lose the sharpness in the photo when I use it. I try to find a 'happy medium', but I'm never really happy with it either way. (Just talking about when I have to use a high ISO)
I shoot in RAW and usually edit in camera RAW, and I've experimented with Lightroom a little, both with the same results.

Also, I shot with a 70-200mm with a 2X's extender. Of course I lost two stops, so the lowest aperture I could use was 5.6. I liked having a little more of a reach, but I was really disappointed with the depth of field. I like a really shallow DOF, like in your example, but unless the players were close, I couldn't really achieve that. Is the reach worth having most of the players/refs in focus instead of just the player I'm focusing on? Or would it bee too much to try and crop in with a max at 200mm? I'm torn between the two.

Sorry for all of the questions. I have quite a few, and I know all of you on here know what you are talking about, so I like to ask what I can on here!
Thanks for all the help and advice!

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:02 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

You have gotten some excellent feedback. Just one more note. You are never going to get really great images on consistent basis with that 2x on there. Take it off. Move with the action and crop as necessary. I think you'll do better without the 2x then you will trying to shoot some distance stuff with the 2x.

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:13 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First College Football Game - UA vs. VT

matt.garnett wrote:
You're shooting with a 5D Mark III, crank that bad boy up to about 10,000 ISO and overexpose your photos like crazy. In post, drag the exposure slider and the shadows down some to get the lighting right and apply a little NR. I won't go in and critique each individual photo, because you've got several really good critique by guys who really know what they're talking about.

Here's a photo that I shot last Friday in a high school stadium :
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5456/9661271626_212ecae15b_c.jpg

5D Mark III | 600mm IS II | f/4.0 | 1/500 sec | 12,800 ISO

No, don't overexpose your photos like crazy. Just a little bit. Mainly expose for the faces (which are darker because of the helmet.

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:26 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.