New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · CF Cards 8GB any good place in US

redbarn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CF Cards 8GB any good place in US

I need to get more CF cards but so far the lowest I've seen is at $25 for Sandisk 8 GB Extreme. Heck I'd settle for Ultra if I can find them.

I bought some last year at $14. I'd rather not deal with Ebay though. thanks

Sep 03, 2013 at 07:15 PM
pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CF Cards 8GB any good place in US

Both B&H Photo and Adorama have the Kingston 8GB for $12.95 and free shipping:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/596767-REG/Kingston_CF_8GB_8GB_Compact_Flash_Card.html

http://www.adorama.com/KGCF8GB.html

The reviews seem to be good for the product.

Sep 03, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CF Cards 8GB any good place in US

Any reason why 8gb?

Looking at prices of CF most of the 8gig cards I see are only a little bit cheaper than the same type 16gig.

In fact the price sweet spot seems to be in 32gb now .

Ie
16gb only about 1/4 more than 8gb . 32gb less than 1/2 more than 16gb while 64gb seems to be over double the cost of 32gb .

Sep 04, 2013 at 04:21 AM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CF Cards 8GB any good place in US

redbarn wrote:
I need to get more CF cards but so far the lowest I've seen is at $25 for Sandisk 8 GB Extreme. Heck I'd settle for Ultra if I can find them.

That's about the going rate for Sandisk Extreme 8GB CF cards, these days.
Larger (16 or 32 GB) cards are cheaper per GB.
As Ian pointed out, 32GB cards seem to offer the best 'bang for the buck' at current prices.

Sep 04, 2013 at 04:25 AM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CF Cards 8GB any good place in US

Very simple if something goes bad with the card, at least I won't loose too many images. Its too risky putting all the eggs in one basket. I'm surprised that both of you have the opposite belief. I have read in other places that the majority of prof shooters when going on a trip they prefer using small cards.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CF Cards 8GB any good place in US

redbarn wrote:
Very simple if something goes bad with the card, at least I won't loose too many images. Its too risky putting all the eggs in one basket. I'm surprised that both of you have the opposite belief. I have read in other places that the majority of prof shooters when going on a trip they prefer using small cards.

8GB is great if you shoot with older cameras with low MP count. However, newer models will eat an 8GB card really fast after a few bursts of RAW or a few minutes of video. Early this summer I accidentally put an 8GB card in my 5D2 while shooting a concert video and it tanked 5 or 6 minutes into the set! For me, 32GB is the minimum sized card I buy and, like others have mentioned, the most lowest cost per GB.

Amazon sells the 8GB Ultra for $27.50. For $15 more you can get a Transcend 32 GB Compact Flash Card 400X (Blue)--4 times more storage and a lot faster card for not much more.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-SDCFH-008G-A11-Retail-Package/dp/B00065ANY2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378795279&sr=1-3&keywords=SanDisk+Ultra+CF

I sold over a dozen used Extreme and Ultra 8GB cards on Amazon this summer, $10 a piece. They went fast so obviously people are still into them.

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:44 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CF Cards 8GB any good place in US

redbarn wrote:

sorry but a flawed argument .

yes cards do corrupt (but alot of times recovery software gets you out of the crap) but by far the greatest danger with CF cards is broken pins in the camera .
the more often you put a card in the camera the more chance you have of breaking/bending a pin. , and in the field while on a shoot you may not be as careful as you would at home . it only takes a little bit of dirt stuck in a hole in the CF card and youll probably bend the pin .

also the other biggest threat to your images is loosing the card . your less likely to loos the card while its still in the camera

and I dont know what your camera is , but as the EGGS produce by newer cameras get bigger then we need LARGER baskets

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CF Cards 8GB any good place in US

redbarn wrote:

So why not use 1,2 or 4GB cards. They must be really safe then

Sep 10, 2013 at 02:03 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.